Butler Bulldogs vs Indianapolis Greyhounds (Exhibition) - 11/3 - 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,461
    [align=center][img=200x200]http://www.spraguehotels.com/sprague-comfort-inn-indianapolis/images/apg_1294781015.jpg[/img]........[size=large]VS[/size]........[img=200x200]http://www.blastmedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Butler_bulldog_logo.jpg[/img]

Time: 7:00 PM Eastern
    TV: N/A
    Radio: 97.1 FM

Butler Roster
    Indianapolis Roster

[/align]

2. WesB

WesB New Member

Money:
    $5
    University of Indianapolis vs. Butler University [Exhibition #2]

Just wanted to get this thread started early on in the week so we can start discussing this and that about the upcoming game. I just wanted to overview University of Indianapolis basketball real quick:

Head coach Stan Gouard has dramatically improved the team during his 4 year tenure, after 3 years as an Indiana State University assistant coach. He has turned a mediocre DII basketball program into one of the nation's best (DII). They have made the NCAA tournament the past two years. Gouard has a history of developing excellent guards, e.g. Adrian Moss and Darius Adams.

Freshman:
    #14 Avery Harmon - G - 5'11''
    Came from prestigious St. Joseph's HS in Chicago. Above average shooter.

#20 Cole Adair - F - 6'7''
    Hamilton Southeastern player who attended a prep school in Texas this past year. 14 pts 7 reb 3 ast in HS.

#25 Quinten Hunter - G - 6'3''
    From Richmond, Indiana. Good 3-pt shooter. 16 pts 5 reb 4 ast in HS.

#30 Chris Connell - F - 6'6''
    Excellent athlete and good shot blocker.

Sophomore:
    #10 Brennan McElroy - G/F - 6'6''
    Looked to be a big contributor last season until suffering a season-ending injury early in the season. Played 13 games as a true freshman.

#11 Kendall Vieke - G - 6'1''
    Transfer from Vincennes JC. Played in all of the team's games, and was key 3pt threat for his JC. 38.2% from 3

#24 Daniel Daudu - G - 6'1''
    The Nigerian was redshirted last season because of injury. Was a starter as a true freshman. 4 ppg, 2 rpg, 2 apg. 1.5 spg. Good defender.

Junior:
    #3 Tyrae Robinson - G - 6'2''
    Spent the last two seasons at Ball State. Played in 30 games as a true freshman and was a starter for most of last season. It appears as if the transfer rules will allow him to play this season (DI to DII). Solid all around guard who would be a superstar DII player.

#5 Leland Brown - F - 6'5''
    Good scorer. Took some time off last year for personal reasons. Played well in big games. Noblesville HS grad.

#22 Reece Cheatham - G - 5'11''
    Pike HS player who was drafted in the 43rd round of the 2007 MLB draft. Played professional baseball for 3 year before deciding to go back to school and earn a degree from U of I. Started every game last season and is the team's top returning scorer. Very good 3 point shooter and excellent athlete.

#32 Jared Grady - G - 6'3''
    Redshirted with an injury last season. Played DI for Delaware State, stopped playing for a year, transferred to a community college, played for a year, then got injured. These U of I players have some great stories!

#40 Joe Daniels - C - 6'9''
    Played in all the games last season while starting half of them. Good rebounder.

#42 Josh Chatman - C - 6'6''
    Played for a Los Angeles junior college last season. 10 pts and 9 rpg. Good football player in HS.

Senior:
    #33 James Hollowell - F - 6'6''
    North Central HS grad played last 4 seasons at Eastern Illinois before transferring to U of I. Good shot blocker.

So there's more than you would ever want to know about University of Indianapolis basketball. The stories that these players carry with them are pretty remarkable. I'm not sure how a coach can pull together a team like this that has 2 players that played together last season. It will be interesting to see what happens on the court, it could get ugly. Indianapolis has many talented guards. I would expect Cheatum and Robinson to start in the back court. God knows who else will start for them.

Comments appreciated as always.

Wes B

3. HinkleBall

HinkleBall New Member

Money:
    $5
    RE: University of Indianapolis vs. Butler University [Exhibition #2]

Great rundown of the team! I knew NOTHING about UofIndy basketball.

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $120

Is James Hollowell related to Jeremy down at IU?

5. zvillehaze

zvillehaze New Member

Money:
    $6

Brothers.

6. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,461

I just hope the freshman see a little more playing time. That was my biggest disappointment from the first scrimmage. I'd just like to see a little more of what we have.

7. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    We really don't have the luxury with our schedule to "waste" time. It would be different if we weren't breaking in a new PG and trying to find the right rotations. If the game gets out of hand, then sure give the freshmen the last 7-10 minutes, but we've got to be better much sooner this season.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,461
    I don't think it is wasting time though, especially with Morgan. We've heard both players and coaches say that they expect him to contribute this year. He fits a niche very well for this team. Even if he isn't ready right now, I think it is good to get out there and get experience playing on the college stage. It's even better if you can get them success to build confidence early on. I just think the freshman can benefit a lot more from these games than guys like Stigall or Jones who played major minutes last year.

9. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,228
    I agree with you in principle, but they need to get Rotnei in as much playing time as they can with players that he'll most likely be paired with once the season starts. I think Morgan's lack of minutes last week is an indication that they don't think he's quite as far as they hope.

You got Elon, then is Xavier and Maui. I think you'll see more minutes by the freshmen this weekend, but this schedule is so front-loaded that we can't afford to drop games like we did last year at Evansville, etc.

I just don't see Morgan getting that many minutes, at least early. It looks as though they are going to go Chase and Barlow instead of Chase and maybe Morgan.

10. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    I always liked Leland Brown. Noblesville could have won State his Sr year. Lost a game that could have gone either way to NC in the Regional.

Brown will probably check Kellen some. That will be a good challenge for Dunham.

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,461
    Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to get back from a wedding in time for the game, so I'll have to follow updates online.

12. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    They announced starting lineups. Nothing else to see here - all is well again in the world.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,461
    Probably a good thing I can't see this...

14. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
    Haha the second half is starting to sound better (listening on the radio). 14-2 run in the past few minutes to put Butler up 44-37, but the first half and first 5 minutes of the second half scare me. We won't be able to start slow again this year or A10 competition will PUNISH us.

15. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
    63-47 Final. Butler wins, but still lots to improve on.

Shot 38% (18-48) and 25% (4-16) from 3pt in addition to 17 turnovers (only 5 in the second half).

Rebounding is encouraging with 16 offensive boards and they got to the line a LOT (72% : 23-32).

Will be interesting how they respond next weekend.

16. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Jones and Smith totaled 10 points together , nominal rebounds and five turnovers in combined fifty minutes. Not good.

17. Pair a Docs

Pair a Docs New Member

Money:
    $5
    Started pretty poorly. Hit about 1 of his first 10 shots. Then he started driving more and got to the line a lot. That made everything else smoother. He ended up with 18 points.

I thought Barlow was the nicest surprise today though. I think that he will see a good amount of minutes this year. He plays lights out defense and knows his role offensively.

18. swimr1313

swimr1313 New Member

Money:
    $5
    They were by far most effective with Woods at the 5 and Dunham and Clark in the game together.

19. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,093
    Just got back from the game. Overall I don't think much changed from the first exhibition game, except the shots weren't falling as much tonight.

Barlow played a good game. He will surprise a lot of people this year. Clarke was a bit off tonight, but he still ended up with 18 points.

Again, Smith has been a little disappointing. Butler is going to need him to step up more once the season starts.

20. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $16,461
    How was the shot selection? I'm not at all worried about the shooting of guys like Dunham and Clarke as long as they are getting quality looks. If things are forced, then I start to get worried about the lack of a true point guard.