Butler Bulldogs vs Indianapolis Greyhounds (Exhibition) - 11/3 - 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    I don't know about the Marian game, but there weren't a ton of quality looks for anyone tonight. Best offense was in transition and off an offensive rebound. Clarke playing the one is probably going to hurt him as a shooter, how much remains to be seen.

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I thought the looks were very good in the Marian game. Even in the first half, when the shooting was poor, there were a lot of open jump shots and semi-contested layups that were just simply missed. They got the same looks in the 2nd half they just started to fall.

If they can't get good looks against Indy though it doesn't make me very confident about Maui. Although it is nice to see a team with a nice transition game. That aspect has been ugly for the past several years.

3. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    When was the last time that Smith played to his potential?

4. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6
    I am a little worried about Rotnei having to play the 1 instead of 2. He doesn't have as much time to set and shoot, though his shot is quick. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dunham have a better 3 point % if things remain the same. Yet, Rotnei can find an open teammate, AKA, Dunk Marshall. He is our best option at 1. I'm just saying possibly the best shooter in the nation isn't going to have the chance to set up like Dunham.

Jones was kind of missing most of the night. There was no arm extension when he missed both free throws. All he does is flick his wrist and the ball does a line drive. It is what it is.

Andrew Smith, call it a gut feeling, but he is going to play out of his mind against Zeller Dec. 15th!! He is saving up all his energy and moves for that date. Go Moose, Go!

Cam did great from a rebounding and shot blocking standpoint. Even with a couple of lapses, he was disruptive most of the time.

Barlow was one of the first players off the bench and did ok.

Marshall had a typical game with at least 3 dunks and some good rebounds.

Fromm, Aldridge, Smeathers all were non-factors.

When Butler lost a 9 point lead in the 1st half and let UIndy make an early 8 pt run at the start of 2nd half, they looked like last year all over. This is going to break us in some A-10 and Non-Conf. big school games. Like usual, we seem to play to the level of the opponent. It is my feeling this contributes to a couple close losses that should have been wins.

Nolan Berry was there with his parents. Nice looking family. Mom was sporting a nice Butler shirt. I know they really felt at home when I gave them a Thumbs Up! His height doesn't matter. I would rather take a fast and coordinated 6'8'' over an extra two or three inches of uncoordinated mass. So, let's put the height discussion to rest.

Could the snow cone people buy an extra ice shaver so I don't have to wait in the hallway with my kids for a single second of the game. There weren't any snow cone deliveries last night and had to wait in line which was 20 deep.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    If I were Brad, I might tell Jones to feign injury any time he's fouled and has to shoot free throws. They won't find a worse free throw shooter no matter who the other four on the floor might happen to be. ;)

6. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    If I were playing Butler I would have second and third team players guard Jones and foul him whenever he is close to shooting the ball and put him at the foul line whenever possible. It amazes me how anyone at this level could have such a horrible shooting form. [hr]
    Smith has played 38 minutes in two exhibition games against Division 11 schools with the following stats

Shots. 2-6
    Foul shots. 4-8
    Total points. 8
    Rebounds. 8
    Blocks. 2

Can't imagine these results in the A-10 will help the Dawgs much. And he is a senior!

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    U of Indy plays pretty good pressure defense. They just don't have size. I liked some of the looks we got, we just didn't convert some easy shots. That will come. Clarke is rusty and Jones isn't really exerting himself much on offense yet. I think Brad is trying to get Clarke and Dunham up to speed as fast as he can. Still have 2 games before Maui. I would think we will see the offense become alot better before then. Elon likes to run, so we should get an opportunity to work on our transition offense. I would think the Xavier game will be reduced to a grind it out half court game.

What really surprises me right now is how good the team defense is. U of Indy had alot of trouble scoring.

Someone mentioned Barlow earlier. If he can learn to play at a slightly faster tempo on offense, he could really help us. he can really get up into people on defense. Goes to the boards hard too for a guard.

8. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,709
    I don't know why the Dawgs aren't consistently setting up plays to get the 3 point shooters open. They ran a few curls from the baseline to the top of the key and delivered passes as the shooter was set (in the second half of the Marian game), but have gotten away from it.

I think everyone in my section groans when Jones goes to the free throw line. I am sick of people saying he is just a bad free throw shooter. He is a free throw shooter with bad form. If someone would show him how to line up his feet and square his shoulders....it could only help him. Why the staff didnt spend the summer helping him is beyond me.

9. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    [hr]
    Agree with you on Jones. There are no excuses for how bad he is at the line. Of course he doesn't even have a traditional jump shot or lay up. Maybe he needs to start with the old western set shot and practice, practice and then practice some more. I have seen players that mentally have difficulty shooting free throws but his form on all of his shots is bad.

10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    That's why I was asking about the shot quality. If Clarke and Dunham were just missing good looks, then I'm not concerned. That's simply not going to happen very often.

I would assume they did try to help Jones. It's not always that easy for some players though. Most players simply can't overhaul their shooting form at this point in their career. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't blame the coaching staff because it didn't happen. I think at this point we basically have to accept that he is what he is.

11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,173
    Totally serious idea: shoot underhand. Couldn't hurt?

12. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    that actually isnt a bad idea. I doubt he would do it. I think his ego is too big to even consider it

13. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Underhanded work great for Rick Barry. I can't remember anyone with this bad of shooting form at this level. Makes Shaq look like a purist.