Butler Bulldogs vs. North Carolina Tar Heels - 11/20 - 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 20, 2012.

1. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,899
    I was thinking the same thing. This was important to show the world, on a big stage, that Butler is still relevant.

That the Butler Way is still something special.

2. Dunham for 3

Dunham for 3 New Member

Money:
    $5
    If we rebound like that, play the defense we did the first 30 minutes, and shoot FT and 3pts as we did today we could be a top 10 team. Dunham will only get better here on out. This could be the start to something special. Enjoy the ride.

Don't worry about the recruits, if we win they will come!

3. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,899
    Copying my recent post from the Xavier thread here because I think it's a fitting final thought for the UNC game:

Now everybody read back through the Xavier thread and reflect on how ignorant and short-sighted some of these comments are.

"Hardly any A10 talent on this roster"

"Smith isn't even a good Horizon League player."

"This team is fundamentally flawed and this season and the last have changed the way I think of Brad Stevens and his staff."

"the Dawgs should petition to get back into the Horizon League."

"We should get this figured out by the Hanover game and look like world class then and win our second game."

I assume people have changed their tune a little bit? Every one of these above quotes are completely ridiculous.

4. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    just stop. its a good day to be a bulldog. enjoy the win. look forward to tomorrow. Stop harping on stupid comments after we just beat a top 10 ranked team

5. Butler1970

Butler1970 New Member

Money:
    $5
    [hr]
    Based on the Xavier game the above comments made sense. Ignorant no. Short-sighted perhaps.

6. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,470
    Reading the Duke message boards from yesterday is hilarious.

7. bulldog-indyobserver

bulldog-indyobserver New Member

Money:
    $5
    Guys,

There's just hardly any A10 level talent on the roster and barely any D1 talent at point guard. It was it is. When you evaluate poorly and recruit as bad for a stretch of years, this is what you get.

And, this is as good as they'll be for a number or years.

Like I said over the summer, it's only "pessimistic" if you're actually wrong.

Just thought it would be good time to review this.

THanks Title you are omnipotent.

If you were playing a conference opponent in a non-conference game would you show your hand?

Just some food for thought.

Sure didn't like any A-10 talent last night, or against marquette...I think those teams hail from the ACC and Big East, maybe the A-10 is just so much better than either of those conferences.

8. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $553
    Make no mistake, this game was won because of toughness - not because of shooting or free throw shooting.

We came right out and punched UNC in the mouth from the outset. That is what we did in 2010 and 2011, and it is what we did after an adjustment with Marquette (who also punches right back).

Sure, three point and free throw shooting helped, but it was all secondary to us brawling down low on offense and defense, controlling the glass, and making UNC players exhausted and drained.

As far as individuals go, Smith and Stigall had the best games of their careers. The former was tough as nails for the second straight game and showed leadership. The latter largely avoided stupid mistakes and quick shots and instead provided timely interceptions, threes, and leadership.

Obviously Clarke and Dunham were spectacular. As was Rose and Khyle.\

Props also go to Jackson and Eric for two straight games of good contribution, and especially to Woods for bouncing back to provide key defensive and rebounding minutes.

Just an all-around awesome team win. As far as UNC coming back and making it close, don't be alarmed. That was like Wisconsin a few years ago, where they started pressing when we were up 20. We weren't prepared for it and yipped a little bit, but we were ultimately fine.

Just an awesome win for the program, now and in March, too. Hope for more tonight.

9. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,899
    The lesson here is that you don't make sweeping conclusions base on one game at the beginning of the season.

Butler, although only really losing 1 player from last year and adding two others, are a completely different team in many respect. It was expected that there would be growing pains while they found their stride.

Forming opinions from one game and limited information is . . . The definition of ignorant.

ig·no·rant
    /?ign?r?nt/
    Adjective
    Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
    Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $16,470
    Stevens will be on 1070 in 25ish minutes.

11. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    So much for the Abyss. :)

Let's get the Illini.

Go Butler.