Butler-IUPUI

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by butlerfan, Dec 4, 2012.

1. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/85/iupui-jaguars

Thoughts on Wed nite's game?

I've watched some of these players in the Indy Pro-Am summer league. John Hart has talent(ex-Boiler), Mitchell Patton is a big body that has gotten better over the years. Gaines is a former HS teammate of Kam's. I haven't seen IUPUI as a team play in years though. From their boxes it appears they play ZERO defense. We should be able to get about any shot we want.

Do you Butler fans want to play IUPUI? I am kind of on the fence until they upgrade their talent level some. This appears on paper to be a game that we should get rather easily. Chance to work on some things as we prepare for NW and IU?

2. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $718
    Say something like that and we are bound to lay an egg. This team likes to play to the level of their competition.

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,868
    You need to have some games like IUPUI on the schedule. The last three years they have hovered around the 150 mark, so I think that is good. It's a game that should be easy but also doesn't destroy your RPI. It's also not such an easy game that it is kind of worthless to play. If they can stay around there I'd like to keep them on the schedule.

4. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $34
    This year they have the chance to be RPI killers though, RPI is around 310 and they have played 1 team in the top 150 of the Pomeroy rankings.

In Woods' preview, their coach says that they play offense very well, but they're really only an average overall, ranking at 192 in Adjusted offensive efficiency. Defensively, they're one of the worst in the country, ranking 325th overall in Adjusted defensive efficiency. I do like what Hart and Patton can do individually, but this should be a game that Butler wins pretty easily. Whether or not they do that will be real question. Their guards are athletic enough to give Clarke and Dunham problems, we'll see what happens.

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Can't let this thread die without posting this:

I'm still not convinced he won't be a contributor by the end of the year. He brings athleticism to the guard position that is very much needed.

6. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6
    Agreed. He is the only one on the team that has enough speed to stay in front of Yogi next Sat. JA played point while DM played SG. There was an inbounds play that was odd. He threw the ball to JA who looked away at the last moment (looked toward scoring table). Jags got the turnover and Brad wasn't happy. Wasn't sure what JA was doing? Otherwise, JA handled the ball well and attacked the rim once or twice. I was happy for both those guys.

That dunk was awesome and the "clink" was audible throughout Hinkle.

7. 3BallBU

3BallBU New Member

Money:
    $5
    This was a great game to see. Good defense, bench scoring 47, and overall a much needed blowout kind of game.

BG, you're right, we will need someone to be in front of Yogi as much as possible. He loves to push it out in front in a hurry. Clarke should not be defending him... that person will end up being Barlow.

8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    I still don't think Yogi should be as hard to guard in the half court as teams have made it seem, and it's the same thing I've been saying since I saw him play a couple times 2 summers ago. But college teams have yet to adjust. You back off of him a few feet and dare him to shoot the semi contested 3. He can, but his efficiency won't be great, and it's much preferable to him penetrating. When he does penetrate, do not help early. He wants to force rotation and is looking to pass. If you keep your cushion and be physical with him on the drive he will struggle to finish efficiently. Right now he is shooting 25% from the floor but has a great assist rate. Force him to beat you by scoring instead of passing.

9. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6
    I like Barlow's effort and physicality, I'm concerned about his speed. Definitely dare Yogi to beat you with a jump shot. Yogi does drive deep and dish late. Sometimes even back to the top of the key for open 3.