Butler Men's Soccer Ranked #10

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jared Grubbs, Sep 18, 2016.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,368
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,949
    Both soccer teams, cross country and women's volley ball have been great this autumn.

#60 likes this.
  3. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,195
    I was thinking something along the same lines today as well. It seems that all of our programs are benefiting from being in the Big East.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,506
    But, but...haven’t you heard? We have the worst athletic budget in the BE, so it’s impossible to have any success!!!:cool:

godogs91 likes this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,949
    The athletic department is solid. Barry Collier continues to be one of the best ADs in the nation. We are incredibly lucky to have him. Proud of what he has done.

#60 likes this.
  6. Red1972

Red1972 Active Member

Money:
    $464
    Totally agree. Men's Basketball gets all of the pub, but Butler is more than competitive in all of its sports programs. You can owe all of that to Barry Collier and what his
    leadership does for Butler.

#60 likes this.
  7. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $2,995
    I know, right?? ;) #ChickenLittle :(:eek:

8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,368
    I know men’s soccer has been good for the past 10-15ish years (we’ve had/have someone on the USMNT), but hasn’t the distance running always been excellent?

#60 likes this.
  9. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,205
    Cross country programs (both men and women) are elite. They were "ranked" in the top 10 at times in the mid 2000s. Don't think they've reached those heights recently but they still routinely produce All-American runners and compete for championships at the conference and regional level.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,172
  11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,949
    Men's soccer is an n the Sweet 16. Will be playing Wake Forest. I understand the Dawgs scored three goals in 5 minutes to beat VCU 3-2.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    #60 likes this.
  12. fdr

Money:
    $1,205
    Wake Forest is also the #1 overall seed, I do believe. Should be a fun game. Nothing to lose.

13. mass_dawgs

mass_dawgs New Member

Money:
    $32
    Who was on the national team....first I’ve heard of it

14. fdr

Money:
    $1,205
    Matt Hedges has made a handful of appearances for the USMNT.

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,949
    According to David Woods Butler had the ninth highest rated soccer recruiting class.

#60 likes this.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,172
    This post falls into the "time well spent prior to basketball season" category:

Nice to see the women's & men's soccer teams ranked so highly in the pre-season.

If either squad lives up to these predictions, both will make their respective NCAA tournaments. On the men's side, being 9th in the nation guarantees a high seed. On the women's side, the Big East consistently sends 2 teams to the post season, so the Lady Dawgs have a very good chance in this regard. It'll be nice to have positive headlines & a happy diversion such as these 2 teams playing well. (And others--the volleyball team is predicted to be #3 in the Big East.)

https://butlersports.com/news/2018/...-east-honors-butlerwsoccer-picked-second.aspx

https://butlersports.com/news/2018/...-in-united-soccer-coaches-preseason-poll.aspx

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $634
    The men play #2 IU and #4 Akron on the road this year. Georgetown at #13 is the only other Big East team ranked in the preseason.

The women have #14 Notre Dame at home on August 26th and #15 Baylor on the road this year. It definitely seems that Butler's sports have adjusted to be competitive in the Big East, which is awesome to see given the league's standing in sports like Soccer and Cross Country nationally.

#60 likes this.
  18. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,691
    I remember going to a women's soccer game in the Butler Bowl. Can't remember who the opponent was. Can remember there was a lot of alcohol involved. It seems the program has come a LONG way since those days (before a lot of you were probably born)

19. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,261
    Western Michigan (#14) is also ranked. So 4 preseason ranked teams on the schedule. Not bad.