Butler pauses season after game one

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Nov 26, 2020.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,186
    Think this deserves its own thread. Hopefully we can contain it to 3-4 guys and play next week. Go Dawgs.

2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,525
    Blah...

Hope everyone recovers quickly.

3. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,174
    Minimum time will be 10 days from positive test assuming that it is a mild case and no secondary cases, if they are going by CDC guidelines. Worried that since this was at the game and there was likely close indoor, unmasked contact that there is a good chance there will be a secondary case that develops over the next 3-4 days. Hopefully not. There is talk about reducing the time to 7 days but don’t think this has happened yet.

Let’s hope that it’s a single, mild case.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba likes this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,920
    BU as mentioned has followed all protocols and been successful up until now. This does not bode well for the overall health of college BB in the long term.:oops:

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,247
    I just think it's gonna be a wild ride. Never thought I'd see a coach from an ACC school, even if it is on the women's side, putting something like this out there publicly:

bumba and ButlerNut like this.
  6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,356

That looks like a high school coach forum in the offseason. lol That is pure desperation. I wonder if the Coach feels slighted by the emphasis is getting scheduling right for football and men's basketball.

7. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $185
    False positives with rapid tests are relatively common (about 7-8/100). PCR results should be back in the next day or two.

8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,150
    Confirmed positive. Butler has paused all team activities for 14 days. 2 more games postponed. Next game is St. John's.

ButlerNut likes this.
  9. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,469
    Just received an email from the Butler Athletic Department with this heading: @ButlerMBB Scheduled to Return to Action Dec. 14 vs. St. John’s Following COVID-19 Pause

The nation's longest non-conference home winning streak lives for another season!

mwall787, hortonamos, Shimmy and 8 others like this.
  10. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,933
    Well that’s a positive twist on bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

hortonamos and 2xDawg like this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,711
    Gah I hate this. I have to respect the caution they are using but can still say it blows. I wonder if these will get rescheduled? Prob not.

So far it's only one player or coach, so...let's hope it stays that way and they can get back into action soon. The article I read said the individual was suffering no symptoms.

I'm sure I'll get killed for this but I think it's premature to cancel the other games already. But is what it is.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $18,150
    I personally just don't get it. I'm very suspicious that Butler simply feels they can't compete without this player and maybe Nze if he isn't ready. Quarantining for 14 weeks because of a single asymptomatic positive isn't really necessary. We've seen other teams continue on. As long as everyone else gets tested daily and is negative the risk is extremely low. If they were really that concerned about Covid spread they wouldn't have let 2k people into Hinkle, which seems to be far more risky to me.

Maybe I'm just biased though because I work at a retail job where my risk on a daily basis is greater than what most of the athletes across the sporting world face that people are up in arms over. It's hard to feel sympathy there.

13. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $185
    After one positive test, the chance of a single person infected is now very low.

ButlerProf, Hinkle and 2xDawg like this.
  14. willisbrown

Money:
    $10,711
    That's not the craziest suspicion ever to be honest. We're short as it is in bodies, take another important one away and yeah, they could be ducking until at full strength. And if you feel you cannot compete...you have the excuse already lined up that no one could doubt. Because yes, one positive test with continued negatives...14 days is too much.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $18,150
    I'm assuming that is supposed to be not.

The ability to pass the virus from one person to the next is strongly correlated with the viral load in the body. If another player has contracted the virus, but it's still so weak that it's not showing up on a rapid test, he is unlikely to be able to pass that on to another player. Considering the first player/coach was asymptomatic (I think it's safe to say he's truly asymptomatic and not simply presymptomatic at this point), his viral load is most likely low and he probably hasn't transmitted it to anyone else. But again, even if he has, increased testing before each team activity would likely prevent further spread.

16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,618
    Guessing it’s a player or coach vs. manager or team doc. Someone who they feel has had a lot of exposure to the others. I can’t really imagine they are ducking games. As I said in another post, stopping play/practice for 2 week is not in their best interest. Our young team needs game experience.

As to letting fans in, Jared, I don’t know if you were there or not, but no fans were anywhere close to the team at any point. Completely safe for the team.

Tentozen likes this.
  17. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,469
    I don't think it's necessary to assume Butler was trying to duck a couple of games because it didn't think it could be competitive. The team shut down team activities for 14 days beginning on Thursday, November 26. That means the first time it could practice would be on December 10, the day before the Kansas State game. Apparently only one player, coach or support staff member tested positive, but an unknown number of "close contacts" were instructed to quarantine. If shutting down activities for 14 days is, in fact, the appropriate protocol, it is absolutely not unreasonable for a team to cancel a game with a P6 opponent when it would have only one practice after two weeks off before playing the game. Not to mention that four days after its two-week layoff, it begins a stretch of 3 games in 6 days, playing at home against St. John's, at Villanova two days later, and against IU 3 days later.

Tentozen and 2xDawg like this.
  18. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,186
    I hope the program has implemented a plan to allow those quarantining to still have access to the facilities by staggering times, extra cleaning, etc.

19. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,525
    Whatever it takes.

Again... throwaway year. Get the young guys and hopefully Hodges experience and come back next year with a young roster ready to compete.

20. willisbrown

Money:
    $10,711
    While we're cancelling games Seton Hall just picked up a game against Iona and just nailed down Oregon as a part of double header Dec 4 in Omaha. Props to them for staying schedule aggressive during these crazy times.