Butler pauses season after game one

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Nov 26, 2020.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,593
    1. We can all agree COVID is screwing up the season.

2. We can all agree everyone on this board has an opinion about COVID.

3. Imagine a world where we just talk about basketball (and how COVID is affecting season) and post the opinions and rhetoric elsewhere (parler, twitter, Facebook, in a written letter to Santa).

For the most part, I would say there are quite a few intelligent people here with high basketball IQ’s. And as intelligent people, I would hope that the realization that you won’t change opinions about COVID by posting is clear.

Is this really that complicated? Or is the desire to have the last word so overpowering to some people?

Thanks for coming to my TEDtalk.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf, Shimmy, Albick and 5 others like this.
  2. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,150
    ButlerNut likes this.
  3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,356
    Parler is what made me chuckle. Last time I checked, it had less users than Google+

Less than a week until Butler basketball is back, I hope.

4. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,525
    I’m surprised people here know what Parler is

ButlerNut likes this.
  5. ButlerNut

Money:
    $7,593
    I would venture a guess that several people on here spend time on Parler

6. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,357
    Yeah - my wife created an account as a fake identity just so we could see what Parler is all about. Talk about a massive break from reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg likes this.
  7. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,405
    You're surprised that a bunch of folks who live in a very red state know what Parler is? That site was made for the majority of Hoosiers and their ilk.

Maybe that's the best place to discuss Butler basketball if you can't handle being called out for posting naïve, dangerous thoughts. Wearing a mask is not a political decision. If you make science into a political discussion that's on you. Don't blame someone for bringing rationality to the table.

jeff, 2xDawg, Tentozen and 2 others like this.
  8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,850
    As of tonight over 170 games in roughly 3 weeks have been postponed. Who thinks this discussion is going away any time soon?

I said it this summer. Until the Big East creates a bubble in late February or March around spring break, it is going to be difficult to get consistent conference play in.

9. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $714
    Did I just see that the St. John's game is cancelled?

10. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,247
    Duke cancelled the remainder of its nonconference season today - not because of positive tests within the program, but basically to give the players a break and let them go home for Christmas. A lot of people around here are making comparisons to the year Coach K hurt his back (after a terrible start to the season) and threw one of his assistants under the bus as interim coach. I find that talk amusing, but I don't think this is only about their early losses. Anyway, seems significant.

11. godogs91

godogs91 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,006
    I would take what Coach K was saying a little more seriously (i.e. player/coach safety) if almost every time I saw his image during a game his mask wasn't pulled down under his chin.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

jeff and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,690
    Yeah, I think what you put in parentheses kinda hit on a trend; the worse Duke is, the more it seems that they “prioritize work/life balance.”

Also a coincidence Coach K was leading the “everybody should make the tourney” charge when his team isn’t great?

jeff, bwesson15 and Tentozen like this.
  13. ButlerNut

Money:
    $7,593
    Genuinely curious, and NOT wanting political debate.

What is NCAA football doing different than NCAA basketball?

It seems that football is going on every weekend just fine while basketball is pausing games all the time.

If both are following some NCAA guidelines, it would stand to reason that football would have a larger problem, given the larger number of athletes. And it isn’t just a case of a positive being excluded and the team has enough players to play.

So, what’s different?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,690
    There are tons of football games cancelled every weekend. The Big Ten just had to change the rules so that Ohio State could play in the championship game after missing too many games.

In football you can also play even if 30 players are out. You certainly can’t do that in basketball.

15. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,726
    Hello, Nut. It's like comparing apples to cranberries. Football is played outdoors in fresh air. Basketball is played inside, where players are sweating and breathing on top of each other. It will be a miracle if Butler plays more than 8-10 games this season.

16. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,618
    So going forward I don’t think we’re going to have to worry about games getting cancelled because of Butler.

shoeevv likes this.
  17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,690
    This is.....not an accomplishment?

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,618
    What do you mean by accomplishment? Just a declarative statement.

19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,247
    Are you saying that during this pause the whole team has contracted Covid-19? That's the way I interpret this comment.

20. BigHoss

BigHoss Active Member

Money:
    $281
    Dawgs2014 sees COVID-related post

Sprints to get his Internet COVID fighting cape

Puts on his N95 Mask

And tells you why your COVID-related opinion IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sums up the board for the last 5 month

SnoopDawg likes this.