Butler pauses season after game one

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Nov 26, 2020.

1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,695
    The elderly and health professionals should and will get the opportunity for a vaccine first. As much as most of us enjoy any sports, it's not the priority.

troggy, bumba, NCJon and 2 others like this.
  2. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,263
    I think 20-30 million doses combined of Pfizer/moderna by end of year but yes those will be in health care workers + older groups at highest risk.

I think May madness would be really smart; in essence, delay for 2 months which would get us through the worst of it. I really think a two month delay would do a lot of good because with the high rate of current infection,
    vaccines coming onboard for a couple of months, and warmer weather you should see cases start to drastically taper from feb-May; it’s just that the next 4-8 weeks that will be the worst of the entire thing. Even if students are low on the vaccine priority, lower cases will mean fewer infections for teams, so there will be increasing benefits from Jan/feb onward.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $18,696
    I agree. The NCAA is probably too stubborn though to step back, say this could be done better, and make any major corrections like that. When they first were making decisions about the season they probably didn't know a vaccine was so close. The difference between March and May might be dramatic.

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,502
    I don’t know if anyone listens to the podcast, Pardon My Take, but Mark Titus was on as a guest last week and proposed sandwiching the final four around the Indy 500 on Memorial Day weekend.

I don’t think the vaccine will be prevalent enough by Memorial Day to allow for it to be normal by then, but that would make for an incredible spectacle for the city of Indianapolis.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    I think the fact there are low expectations plays into it.

While it’s certainly *a reason* I’m not sure how much the “people have learned to live without it” is the dominant explanation for people losing interest.

I think the disruptiveness that the seasons have had makes it all feel kinda fake. I also think more than anything else this year has just sucked the emotional energy out of so many people that there is very little left to give to the Washington Football Team or whomever it is you root for.

BUcheer likes this.
  6. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,147
    Way back in early 90s - I think 1994 - the Pacers made it to the Conference Finals and had home games against the Knicks race weekend. Carb Day Thursday. Parade Saturday midday. Pacers game Saturday night at Market Square. Race Sunday. Pacers game Monday at Market Square. It was a great weekend for the city - and that was before downtown had a fraction of what it has now.

7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,502
    There must have been SO. MANY. MULLETS.

troggy, ButlerNut, DawgsMD and 2 others like this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,731
    It was 1998 and the Pacers were in the Eastern Conference Finals in that epic 7 game series with the Bulls during Larry Bird's first year as coach. I was at Game 3 on Saturday and then the race the next day. It seemed like the most epic sports weekend ever.

troggy likes this.
  9. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,147
    1994 too. Had Reggie & Spike Lee taunting each other the whole series. I did a lot of entertaining that week with sponsors.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

NCJon likes this.
  10. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $809
    Sounds novel...but very impractical. No way Indy/enrirons can accommodate Indy 500 our of towners and the Final Four the same weekend.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  11. Denverdawg

Denverdawg Active Member

Money:
    $155
    I usually don’t have a lot to share, but figured I contribute a couple minor data points based on topics earlier in this thread.

Per a Tri County Health call (organization that has major say in the COVID restriction Level for many of the largest counties in Colorado), Colorado will be receiving 350K doses of the Pfizer vaccine on December 11th. I wasn’t on the call, so I don’t have details on the distribution.

Also, I talked to Sam Masten who plays for Northern Colorado. It is D1 but a much lower level than the Big East obviously. UNC’s basketball program is currently shut down due COVID in the program. Sam was at our local rec center shooting and trying to stay in shape because he did not have access to facilities on campus. I hope Butler has better access, but sounds like the access is very limited at UNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willisbrown likes this.
  12. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,541
    Never said full stadiums. But I believe that when sports are open to fans, there will be people very thankful and energized to attend those live events

13. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,188
    So how many official days of practice will we get in before the SJU game? Nothing more terrifying than taking two weeks off before playing a team that presses the whole game. At least from what I can tell from the box score of the Johnnies, they seemed indifferent to defense in the half court.

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,922

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,420
    Bet SJU and the over.

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,420
  17. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $345
    Well ND just lost their game against Western Mich. because of positivity somewhere in the Western Michigan's ranks. So, yeah...

18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,218
  19. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,154
    In an ideal world, this would probably be fine, and I think given the availability of testing for the team can probably be followed. I think the research shows 90% of folks show symptoms in the first 7 days, but I think it's also important as to when that test is given in relation to exposure. To catch asymptomatic cases, the test would likely need to be given around the 5-7 day range. Given how bad things are right now in terms of number of cases and how hard of a time some folks are having just getting a test, the 7 day marker is pretty worthless for the general population, IMO.

Also, Jeff Meyer absolutely made the right decision. Would be a lot scarier if he was still on staff and someone around the team caught it.

20. CMG

CMG Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $278
    Rothstein says we're back to practice on 12/9.

Cranjis McBasketball likes this.