Butler Picks Up Duke Transfer

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 15, 2018.

By Jared Grubbs on Jan 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,009
    [​IMG]

LaVall Jordan has landed his first high profile target. Duke transfer Jordan Tucker committed to the Bulldogs today, as first reported by Andrew Slater on twitter, after visiting Hinkle for a victory over Marquette on Friday. Tucker, a 6'7" wing is viewed as a replacement for Kelan Martin, who dropped 37 points in front of Tucker on Friday in one of the most impressive Big East performance of the season. Tucker chose the Bulldogs over Big East rival Georgetown.

Jordan Tucker decided to leave Duke after only a semester due to a lack of playing time. The freshman played only 14 minutes in 14 games as a Duke Blue Devil. Tucker was a consensus top 100 recruit out of high school and was ranked as high as 42nd in the country (ESPN). Tucker is regarded as a long, crafty wing with an NBA range jump shot.

Tucker will have time to enroll at Butler for second semester but must sit out a year per NCAA transfer rules. He should be eligible to participate in games after the conclusion of the first semester next season as a sophomore. The Bulldogs still have 2 open scholarships available for next season.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 15, 2018.

1. SpartanDawgs
      SpartanDawgs
      Great news! But where does this leave CD as a sophomore? I could probably name an 8 man rotation without CD. CD proabably can't play the 4.
    2. Dawgedd
      Dawgedd
      2-4s are largely interchangeable so there are a lot of minutes for CD. Give me a bunch of wings that can play and they will find the floor. If CD makes typical improvements from year 1 to 2, he should see plenty of time in the regular rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app
    3. SpartanDawgs
      SpartanDawgs
      2-4 Man Rotation

Kamar, Tucker, McDermott, Baddley, Hastings, CD

1 Man Rotation

AT, PJ, JGB

5 Man

Fowler, Brunk

Won't be using a 11 man rotation every game. Leaves 2-3 players with minimum minutes.
    4. Title
      Title
      Seems pretty improbable that both freshmen wings will be on the team next year.
    5. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      CD, McD and Baddley should have nothing to worry about as far as minutes. Tucker is not at this point better than McD or Baddley both of whom will be juniors. Not sure he will be much better than CD and both Will be sophomores. Hastings will be a freshman with a lot to learn. That's five wings nicely spread out class wise. We need a four and another point guard. If Hastings is still growing and likes the weight room he and Mulloy could be our fours.
    6. Hinkle
      Hinkle
      You can play 2 3s at a time and scrap the traditional 4 position altogether, though, and not have any issues most of the time. In that sense, there are 80 small forward minutes up for grabs every game.

Insane Dawg likes this.
    7. Tedward
      Tedward
      I think it could be interesting and create some match up issues to get Tucker, McD, CD and Hastings on the floor at the same time, maybe with Baldwin running the point. Though it leaves us vulnerable on interior d, that could create quite a few mismatches on the offensive end. Also forces everyone to be covered at the three point line so that Baldwin and Tucker can drive to the hoop when that happens.
    8. Dawg4ever
      Dawg4ever
      I wouldn't be surprised if a player or 2 transfer after the season is over

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
    9. Dawgedd
      Dawgedd
      I do like the idea of having the possibility of 5 versatile
      I like this idea a lot, at least to try it out early in the season. The problem will be two-fold. First, Tucker won't play until mid-December--we might have 1 or 2 games on the schedule to mess with a lineup like this before league play. Second, that every one stays at Butler. I think the hardest job for LaVall will be making sure CD and JGB stay knowing that Hastings and Tucker are incoming and HB and McD will likely see time. Selling them on a scheme in which they can play multiple positions will likely help because more minutes will be up for grabs. Hopefully they can be sold because our roster construction for next year, in theory, is very versatile.
    10. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      Who do you think could transfer?
    11. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      Particularly with McD and Brunk on the floor together. McD is our third best rebounder behind KM and TW. Brunk can be a dominant rebounder in the league.
    12. butlernut
      butlernut
      Whomever it is, I hope their reason is based on their own personal reasons and not from being beat up on this board.
    13. BullDawg2789
      BullDawg2789
      I certainly hope no one on the team follows this board.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
      harvesting likes this.
    14. MSUDawg
      MSUDawg
      agree, the postings here are beyond lethal...
    15. Mark Shelvin
      Mark Shelvin
      If you can’t drown out the “noise” of a couple hundred d-bags on an online forum (all of us at one point or another), I’m not sure you have the mental fortitude of a player I want representing my team anyway.

SpartanDawgs, estar20dawg and Hinkle like this.
    16. OldSchoolDawg1983
      OldSchoolDawg1983
      We should assume that they do. It’s one reason some in the university are less than enthralled with this forum.
    17. DawgsMD
      DawgsMD
      Is this inside knowledge? Compared to some message boards, actually quite tame tbh. But the sentiment is not lost on me. A little restraint wouldn’t be too bad (the extreme criticism in the same game as utter joy comes to mind - and I myself am not blameless in this) but I at the same time agree that our players shouldn’t be getting bent out of shape over the opinions of the vocal few. We’re passionate about our team and want them to play to the best of their ability, especially when we’ve seen their best (Nova) but also we need to recognize that they aren’t going to play perfectly every game. As a former college athlete, the opinion, ambition, and expectations I place on myself are much harsher than those around me.

If it were me it would light a fire under my ass to prove the doubters wrong or I’d just ignore it if it’s impossible or unfounded. It depends on what was being said vs. what the coaches opinion and my own opinion of myself is - those are the only opinions that should ultimately matter to them.

18. Mark Shelvin
      Mark Shelvin
      Again, the people within the university complaining should try entering the real world. Try being an attorney and getting ripped by clients on a daily basis who hold the purse strings to your livelihood when (1) you did everything properly and (2) they don’t have the slightest clue what you should have done, but get to make a value judgment because they hold the purse strings. Try being an elementary teacher and getting criticized by parents without any background in education who still think recess is 2 hours a day and are astounded to learn that reading is expected before second grade. Try working in sales and getting criticized by management when your numbers are down because they are making you push a crap product on customers. Criticism on a fan board is the equivalent at much lower stakes. If the athletics department or university is worried about any criticism on this board impacting players or prospects, it’s the players or prospects they should be worried about and not us. If the goal is still producing Butler-quality men and women than expose them to real life and not the sheltered farce that has become the norm for 20-somethings.

19. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      I pretty much agree with your post, but this part made me think of something one of the visiting coaches said in their press conference this year (its escaping me which coach it was). He said that too many kids go out there to prove doubters wrong and end up hurting the team. Critics say they can’t do this or that and instead of playing to their strengths they try to prove they don’t have weaknesses and do things they shouldn’t be doing.

I’m not saying anyone on Butler is doing this, but I just thought it was an interesting comment and was vaguely related here.

DawgsMD likes this.