Butler Player Breakdowns (2019-20)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,402
    Hi all! With the season slowly approaching, I decided last night to start a series breaking down each member of Butler's roster this season with their own article. I would usually just post my individual pieces into the thread where they make the most sense, but I decided to make my own thread for this one considering it will be a series over the next couple of months. I will be updating this original post in the thread with each new article, but here is my schedule for posting:

Already completed...
    Derrik Smits (Aug. 25): https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/08...reviewing-grad-transfer-derrik-smits-2019-20/

Bryce Nze (Aug. 30): https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/08/30/butler-basketball-previewing-bryce-nzes-impact-2019-20/

Bryce Golden (Sept. 4): https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/09/04/butler-basketball-previewing-bryce-goldens-impact-2019-20/

Aaron Thompson (Sept. 9): https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/09/09/butler-basketball-previewing-aaron-thompsons-impact-2019-20/

Henry Baddley (Sept. 14): https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/09/14/butler-basketball-previewing-henry-baddley-impact-2019-20/

Still to come...
    Jordan Tucker (Sept. 19)
    Markeese Hastings (Sept. 24)
    Sean McDermott (Sept. 29)
    Kamar Baldwin (Oct. 4)
    Christian David (Oct. 9)
    Khalif Battle (Oct. 14)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    seadawg, kmacker69, #60 and 7 others like this.
  2. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $154
    Great article!!

3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,146
    Good synopsis, I would hope that he could not be as ineffective as Brunk & Fowler, but stranger things have happened. My wish is that he actually has a breakout year - I've read where he has aspirations of playing in Europe, so perhaps some hard work and maturity come together to give him a chance to write a strong resume for that opportunity.

NCJon likes this.
  4. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,743
    A little hopeful, but not at all out of the realm of possibility and could be better, with some improvement... Pretty well written and I hope you are right with him being more than just a serviceable center. I hope he takes a step and is a good center, but I'll take serviceable.

5. Brett

Brett New Member

Money:
    $30
    Well written. I just want to thank you for ALL the great articles that you do, Lucas. I much appreciate your labors.

Having watched my share of Valpo basketball last year, I think Smits has his challenges. However, I think a change of place and coaching
    will give him some added motivation and incentive to excel. Also, he has already gotten plenty of feedback on what he needs to improve
    in order to have any hope at the next level, defense being the primary area. It was so painful to watch Butler get killed defensively at the center and
    power forward positions last year. This is a step in the right direction.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,836
    He's a body, a big one, with a heart beat...that's pretty much better than what we had last year. Even if he's mediocre, it's a step up. At least you can't worry about him having secret creep rendezvous love making sessions with another program he's transferring to...that's a big improvement.

MBA2003, mwall787 and Bulldogs260 like this.
  7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    He will help, but he can't be looking over his shoulder wondering if he is going to be subbed for as happened last season.

8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,124
    um what if everyone behind him is better...which I suspect will be the eventual situation

9. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $416
    Only time will tell. I am reserving my opinion on Smits until I actually see him play in a Butler uniform.

Mad_Dawg 48 likes this.
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,836
    I am as well. Very wild cardish in my mind. I don't have crazy expectations but not going to write him off before he suits up. And, again, we don't need much from him. We just need a little better than Fowler and we'll be thrilled.

MBA2003, beezer16 and Mad_Dawg 48 like this.
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,252
    [​IMG]

12. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $1,402
    MBA2003, DawgFan, kmacker69 and 4 others like this.
  13. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,743
    I really think Nze will make a huge difference this year and with just a little improvement from the starters last year we will win a lot of the close games we lost last year.

Shimmy, MBA2003, DawgPoundMac and 2 others like this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,301
    I agree. I almost posted something to this effect when the profile of him from The Athletic was posted in his player thread a few days back. I'm more excited about Nze than I have been about a transfer in a long time. I usually have a wait-and-see attitude about new players and try not to have huge expectations. But everything I've read about him - and interviews I've seen with him - leads me to think he is clearly the piece Butler was missing last year in terms of position and attitude. The last time I let myself have expectations this high about a transfer (or other new player) was when Rotnei Clarke became eligible.

15. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $578
    That's setting the bar high. If Nze's impact is close to Clarke's impact, this season will go better than what I've been forecasting in my head.

16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,561
    BU has been very successful with transfers over the years but there is always an unknown element. In this case, any degree of toughness Nze brings will be a most welcome addition.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,836
    He has a pulse and he has passion. That alone will upgrade the front court. What we've been dealing with is not acceptable.

MBA2003 and seadawg like this.
  18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,301
    I figured someone would go there.

I didn't say I expected him to have as big of an effect as Clarke. I said Clarke was the last transfer for whom I had significant expectations.

Obviously Nze and Clarke are very different players and I wouldn't even try to compare the two. But everything I have read leads me to believe he will bring physicality and mental toughness to the post that I believe was missing last season.

MBA2003, kmacker69 and seadawg like this.
  19. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $1,402
    kmacker69 likes this.
  20. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    Hopefully Golden will play more than 10 minutes per game, he is 6' 9" and 245 lbs. I can see him more of an offensive threat than either Smits or Nze. I guess time will tell.