Butler Receives $9.4 Million Gift, Renames Butler Bowl

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Hinkle, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,032
    SpartanDawgs likes this.
  2. bmradio99

bmradio99 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,180
    Here's the release from Butler.
    http://news.butler.edu/blog/2017/04/sellick/

Bud and Jackie Sellick sound pretty amazing. Both articles note that they contributed to the Hinkle campaign among their numerous prior donations. I have no concern that most of the athletics contributions will be allocated to men's basketball, but I'm also not content to see other sports rot because of it.

Seems odd they'd still keep "bowl" in the name - "Bud and Jackie Sellick Stadium" aka "Sellick Stadium" just rolls off the tongue better than "Bud and Jackie Sellick Bowl" aka "The Sellick Bowl."

3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,493
    It's been called the "bowl" since the beginning of time. Glad they kept it.

UDDawg and Dawgs2018 like this.
  4. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Member

Money:
    $39
    As someone who was a member of the swim team at Butler, I think that it would be shame if the "athletics portion" of this donation goes strictly to the men's basketball program. Even back in my time at Butler, many of the other teams felt like a red headed step child to the basketball and football team. Those that participate in the non-revenue generating sports work just as hard, if not harder in less than ideal conditions to represent Butler University in order to be the best at their sport. This is a gracious gift by two great people and unless they specifically said that their gift is to go to the Men's Basketball team, I would hope that all the athletic teams would benefit from their generosity. Sorry Hinkle but your statement is a selfish one...

5. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Member

Money:
    $87
    I'm curious what the gift amount would have to be to get Hinkle taken off the fieldhouse and your name added?

Disclaimer: This is a purely curious question to be answered in the abstract (as I do not/nor will have that kind of coin), just wanting to see what #'s get thrown out.

6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $665
    I agree. I think this would be a great opportunity to build a practice facility for the athletic teams. This way it can help the revenue sports and non revenue sports. Unfortunately, the swim team, softball, and baseball team couldn't really benefit by it but I this gives all the other teams more space and time to practice. I have nothing against the swim team. I would love for them to get their swimming pool so they don't have to share time with students at the HRC but I feel like this is a bigger need than a pool on the business/efficiency end. However, I do hope the swim team has upgraded their transportation bus since I have been there.

To my understanding almost all the student athletes benefit from the last Hinkle upgrade because everyone uses the weight room, social room, and all the other perks. Football locker room looks nice.

DawgsMD likes this.
  7. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $665
    my guess would be $50 million plus but can you even change the name of a historic landmark?

8. huss587

huss587 New Member

Money:
    $36
    As a former member of the baseball team I get where you're coming from (and frankly the football team appeared to feel slighted during my experience). But, I never had a problem with basketball getting the lionshare of dollars. The only reason all other sports have new gear, better conference, Nike sponsorship, etc is solely attributed to the basketball teams success. That's not to say they don't work hard to represent the university, but we're on the map because of basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,032
    As someone who also played a non-revenue sport, I think it'd be ridiculous for basketball to not get the vast majority of the money donated to athletics. I love my sport more than just about anything and I'm grateful to have had the experience, but it brought in almost no money for Butler and isn't the cause of anyone's donation. The money belongs in basketball. The other sports will continue to benefit from the escalation of the basketball program.

Sidd Finch, huss587 and firedupkaren like this.
  10. BUcheer

Money:
    $3,493
    Can't imagine there's any amount of (realistic) money that would take "Hinkle" off the fieldhouse. Also, would think based on the timing that some of this generous gift will be going to the EFG/West gym upgrades that I heard of earlier in the month. Bud was a avid fan of many BU sports including basketball, football and golf so I can see his gift getting spread around.

11. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,744
    Yeah, I don't think there's a number (there's always a number) to get Hinkle bumped off the fieldhouse, but for $50 million+, I'm sure they would build that dedicated basketball funhouse and name it whatever the heck you want.

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,032
    What have you heard on that front?

I still think the cheapest (and therefore most realistic) chance BU has at an adequate practice facility is a full on renovation of the West Gym. I'd think you could make the West Gym a really awesome place to practice hoops for a couple million.

13. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,333
    Doing a little research, I see that Washington Huskies football has the highest stadium naming rights ($41 million for 10 years) for football. But surprisingly, NC State has the highest stadium naming rights for basketball ($80 million for 20 years). But I can't see the University even considering naming rights for Hinkle unless every other possible revenue stream was tapped out. And as someone suggested, the legalities of changing the name of a registered landmark? Not sure how that works.

(NOTE: This is a blog, and I don't have the time to research all these details...but did see similar figures on a few different websites. This one just had the easiest charts to follow.)
    http://www.roaringforkagency.com/rf-blog/2016/4/13/7ofawjv4wcsxn4yhw77vgvga63h0ci

Collegiate Basketball Arena Naming-Rights Deals

[​IMG]

Collegiate Football Stadium Naming-Rights Deals

[​IMG]

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Active Member

Money:
    $167
    I think Louisville has been left off that list...The KFC Yum Center...yikes! Xavier and the Cintas Center as well comes to mind...

15. BUcheer

Money:
    $3,493
    EFG with an upgrade to a more practice facility feel. Will still need to host the Bulldog Club members on game day, though.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Active Member

Money:
    $230
    As someone who also participated in non rev sports at Butler, the sentiment as not being as important as mbb was shared, but I think everyone (maybe except the head coach) understood that we shouldn't be.

I think it would be ridiculous and directly harmful to non revenue sports to not give as much direct investment to basketball as possible right now.

Long term a successful men's basketball program will bring much more money than a one time gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

huss587 and Hinkle like this.
  17. Huntin'Dawg

Huntin'Dawg Member

Money:
    $36
    Typical grievance response. Be happy we got the dough. When the tide comes in all the ships, large and small, rise... I bet you're one of those snowflake weirdos. Complain! Complain!

18. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,703
    Yeah, there is no realistic number that would bump Hinkle. If someone wanted to pay enough to sponsor it it would end up being something like Verizon's Hinkle Fieldhouse. And even that is pretty unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,672
    Maybe we can buy a new team plane...
    [​IMG]

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  20. Butler294

Butler294 New Member

Money:
    $12