Butler Responds in Big Way in Atlantis

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 23, 2018.

By Jared Grubbs on Nov 23, 2018 at 12:05 AM
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,757
    DSC_0124.jpg

This was the response the Bulldogs needed. Butler jumped out early and never looked back on their way to a convincing 84-53 victory over Middle Tennessee State University. Jorgensen and McDermott each had a game high 21 points while Kamar Baldwin added 18 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists in his first 0 turnover game of the season.

Perfect Response By Butler
    Butler needed to respond after a sluggish performance against Dayton, and this couldn't have been much better. There's not much need for analysis when Butler blows the doors off their opponent from the very beginning. The Bulldogs controlled nearly every aspect of the game. The Bulldogs suffocating defense held the Blue Raiders to only 32% shooting and forced them to cough it up 20 times on the night. The only complaint would be their lackluster work on the glass, where Butler was out rebounded 42-33, including 18-9 on the offensive glass.

Aaron Thompson is a Difference Maker
    One of the biggest stats in any game this season might be the number of fouls picked up by Aaron Thompson. Last game both his minutes and his effectiveness were limited by foul trouble. This game he only picked up 2 personal fouls, and he cashed in with 8 assists on the evening. He's one of the least noticed players in the boxscore, but his impact on the game is huge on both ends. On defense he is capable of providing pressure out top to disrupt an opponent's offense and mask Butler's lack of size at the power forward position. On offense he is capable of taking over some of the ball handling duties and allowing Kamar Baldwin to play his natural position away from the ball. He's not much of a threat to score, but his ability to break defenders down off the dribble and get into the paint opens up the offense for everyone else.

Butler Splashing in Atlantis
    Everything looks good when the triples are falling. Butler connected on a tournament record 16 3s while shooting 46% from distance. That number is actually worse than it really was thanks to several misses by the bench in the final minutes. Baldwin, McDermott, and Jorgensen did nearly all of the damage by connecting 15 times from distance on only 23 tries. The Bulldogs aren't going to lose to anyone when that trio is shooting like that.

Confidence Booster For the Bench
    This should be a confidence booster for everyone, but the huge lead meant the Butler bench got an extended look and a few of them played extremely well. Christian David had a couple of nice flashes to the rim, including one that ended in a poster dunk. Henry Baddley has struggled some this year, but he managed to reach double figures in this one with 10 points on 4-5 shooting to go with 4 rebounds and 2 assists. Butler is going to need a few of those guys to step up big at points this season, so it's good to see them experience some success here in tournament play.

bwesson15 likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Red1972
      Red1972
      Strong effort, need to keep it up on Friday. Offense and defense run so much smoother when Thompson is on the floor.
      BoyGeoff likes this.
    2. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      Baddley played very well last night and appeared confident. Thompson as well. I really like what I have been seeing with David. He is so smooth and fluid. Man he is a quick leader.
    3. chas1116
      chas1116
      Early number is FL - 1. Just a hunch but I’ll go out on a limb and say the Dawgs will not be Dogs come tip-off. McD should get his share of open 3’s and the Brunk/Fowler combo should have their way in the paint and on the glass against the Gators. As long as Jalen Hudson is contained, chalk up another W for Butler & an easy cover

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app
    4. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      The Florida 1-3-1 trap they ran against Stanford terrifies me. That and defending their length in the paint.
    5. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      Well we are going to have to figure out the traps and how to get rebounds.
    6. chas1116
      chas1116
      Jared- do you mean terrified as in “Alex Barlow attempting to bring the ball up against VCU’s HAVOC”?? Butler has much more athleticism than they did back in those days and when you trap- you leave wide open a McD or PJ for a 3. They are bad on the glass and that means plenty of garbage 2nd chance buckets for Fowl, Brunk & McD. No way is Butler Gator-bait tonight!
    7. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      I have erased that game from my memory, so I do not understand your reference.

At the beginning of the season I thought Butler would be terrific against a zone. I believe when Detroit went zone early on I said it was a silly strategy because Butler was better suited to attack a zone than a man. So far the results have been the complete opposite. Even yesterday the offense slowed a little when MTSU went to their 1-3-1 trap. So yes, I would say I’m extremely nervous about how Butler handles that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app