Butler Storms Past St. John's

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 27, 2018.

By Jared Grubbs on Jan 27, 2018 at 5:29 PM
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,285
    Martin.jpg

It's not often the Bulldogs give their fans a drama free game. That's exactly what they did this afternoon though, jumping all over St. John's from the first few minutes of the game. Butler opened the game on a 19-2 run, and St. John's never got the lead below 14 the rest of the game. Kelan Martin had a game high 19 points as Butler defeated St. John's 70-45 to move to 5-4 at the midway point in Big East play.

Aaron Thompson Hit a 3!
    For the first time this season Aaron Thompson attempted a 3 pointer that wasn't simply to beat the shot clock. Early in the game Thompson pulled up from 3 and buried it to the delight of the Hinkle crowd. He later attempted two more from distance but couldn't connect on either of those. If Thompson can shoot 1 for 3 every game though it will drastically open up the offense when he is on the floor. Currently defenders play with a foot in the paint against Thompson and it makes it difficult for others to drive. Thompson also played well in addition to knocking down that 3-pointer. He finished with 8 points, 3 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, 0 turnovers, and another drawn charge.

Is The Butler Defense Back?

There is no question St. John's is a lackluster Big East opponent. They came in 8th in the Big East in offensive efficiency. This was still an outstanding defensive performance. Butler held St. John's to only 45 points, their lowest total on the season. The Red Storm shot 29% from the field and 24% from 3-point range for a total of 0.67 points per possession. Butler held St. John's to only 8 offensive rebounds. That may sound like a lot, but with 42 chances it works out to only 19%.

Turnover Battle
    I said before the game that if Butler won the turnover battle they would win this game. St. John's came in 21st in the country at taking care of the ball and 3rd in the country at forcing turnovers. Butler has traditionally been strong on both fronts, but they have really struggled to force turnovers in conference play. They played St. John's to a tie in this one, with both teams turning the ball over 11 times. Considering the advantages Butler has elsewhere that was a victory for the Bulldogs.

Strong First Half
    The Bulldogs are now exactly halfway through conference play and sit at a respectable 5-4. That's not enough to contend for a conference title, but it is exactly where they need to be to play their way into the NCAA tournament for the 4th straight year. Butler has played every team exactly once, with 5 of the 9 coming on the road. If Butler can repeat their first half they will be safely dancing regardless of what happens in the Big East tournament.

The second half of the conference season doesn't start off easy for the Bulldogs though. They travel to Marquette on Wednesday for what is statistically the 3rd toughest game left on the schedule. A win would boost them to the top half of the league and give them some comfortable wiggle room inside the NCAA tournament field for the time being.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 27, 2018.

1. butlernut
      butlernut
      Great analysis, Jared. And I agree on all points. (not sure if that is a vote of confidence or not ;) )
    2. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      I’m not sure if there is such thing as great analysis for this game. It was kind of a snoozer and was over 5 minutes in. My heart certainly appreciates a break once in a while though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app
      Ignatius J. Reilly likes this.
    3. Tiles52
      Tiles52
      I agree that it was pretty much over 5 minutes in; but who would have thought, considering how close St. John's has been in all but two of their BE games this year. St. John's didn't look like the St. John's that has played most of the BE teams close (within single digits); so not really sure what was the cause behind how they played today.
    4. BURph92
      BURph92
      I don’t think Ponds was 100% today. I also think St. John’s had several shots half way down only to rim out. Also maybe all of the close losses have started to mentally wear them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops
      BUcheer likes this.