Butler Trump Class

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by Overland Bark, May 3, 2017.

1. Overland Bark

Overland Bark New Member

Money:
    $10
  2. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $483
    I just looked on the class search for you and its true. Tried to screenshot it on here but I couldn't get it to work....

its a 300 class CCM 390 taught by Ann Savage MoWe 2:25pm-3:40pm

Attached Files:

3. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209
    If this is what the direction of the University has become, my last gift was my last gift...

4. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $483
    Description: "Donald J. Trump won the U.S Presidency despite perpetuating sexism, white supremacy, xenophobia, nationalism, nativism, and imperialism. This course explores why and how this happened, how Trump┬┐s rhetoric is contrary to the foundation of the U.S. democracy, and what his win means for the future. The course will also discuss, and potentially engage in, strategies for resistance."

5. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,899
    Well it appears the course is limited to 17 students, so my thought is if 18 people in total want to waste their time, go right ahead.

6. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $391
    I went to a North East coast ivy league school. Butler appears to be worse now in terms of political agenda/advocacy. These jackasses don't even pretend to fight against confirmation bias.

There is nothing more lazy and digressive.

7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,718
    Makes me want to return to college...and remember the chicks and booze!

8. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $391
    Just to be clear, it is perfectly acceptable for professors to be biased to a degree and to even advocate for certain political ideas. But the outright disregard for dissenting opinion and unchecked use of absolutisms and overgeneralizations is pathetic.

And for those who think I am just a Trump fan, I think he is a buffoon populist without actual policy direction.

9. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,899

Yeah, and that's why the prof limited class size to only 17 students. There won't be a single student enacted face palm or eye roll the entire four months.

10. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,226
    This is awesome and hilarious, I can't stop laughing.

ChiDawg3 likes this.
  11. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,899
    I seem to be able to remember both without actually returning to college.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,718
    At my age I can afford to dream...

13. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $549
    That's okay, my first gift will make up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

joliebeth23, fdr and WhyRock like this.
  14. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $94
    The professor teaching this course won a distinguished faculty award this past year. http://news.butler.edu/blog/2016/08/distinguished-2016/

College is supposed to be a place where discourse and discussion is welcomed, so I actually don't mind if teachers and students are meeting on this and discussing how to enact change, but I'm pretty surprised that they are offering actual college credits for it (and there's a book?). It doesn't seem like the way the course description is worded that there will be much room for a difference of opinions.

I like turtles and estar20dawg like this.
  15. WhyRock

WhyRock Member

Money:
    $33
    Guys. It's a ****ing topics class for upperclassmen. It's not a required course. If you think the university ought not to allow such courses, feel free to complain. I don't see how it affects you in the slightest.

I took political advocacy courses at Butler and had to attend protests and participate in direct actions. I took religion courses that cut against my own beliefs.

People complain about the sheltered college liberals and then fire off about this bullshit.

16. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,044
    Can we lock this crap? Are we really getting freaked out about an article posted on a website that is known for supporting climate change denial?

Other than the article sourced, does it say anywhere that the course will be taught from a "far-left" perspective?

"How Trump Won" will be something that is studied for decades to come...seems like Butler is ahead of the curve if anything.

17. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,044
    I hope this isn't true.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $359
    It's only 17 students and not required. Not a big deal to me, regardless of the topic.

19. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,899
    Okay, but I don't see where anyone is freaking out about anything.

20. firedupkaren

Money:
    $5,044
    I'd say deciding to stop donating to your alma mater (assumed) is freaking out.

joliebeth23, Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.