Butler Trump Class

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by Overland Bark, May 3, 2017.

1. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    This wouldn't be an issue if this is an isolated event at Butler. It's not. This is the same school that disinvited a Supreme Court Judge because he had opinions shared by 50% of America.

These professors/administrators are so convinced that they are right in all matters social/political that the notion of considering an alternative narrative amounts to blasphemy.

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,061
    Lol. Yeah, it's absurd to analyze how a nationalist TV celebrity got elected leader of the free world despite a complete disregard for truth, social norms, and basic intellectual engagement.

Sounds like a class we should shield our students from. Wouldn't want them to think about these things.

3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    This is why my donations go to the athletic department only.

Dunhamfor3 likes this.
  4. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $348
    The Roberts stuff was 7 years ago, so by definition isn't that isolated?

Also, wasn't Mitch Daniels a commencement speaker?

I don't remember any of this political crap when I was in school in the late 90's early 00's. I hate all of you.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,061
    If there are truly honest, intellectually sound arguments that Donald trump hasn't perpetuated, or at least tolerated, "sexism, white supremacy, xenophobia, nationalism, nativism, and imperialism," wouldn't the response be to enroll in the class, and not cry about how it hurts your feelings?

Isn't that the point of higher ed? Yes, safe spaces are insane, regressive, and anti-American. Colleges are wrong for that. This is the opposite. It should be embraced.

joliebeth23 and Tentozen like this.
  6. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,885
    Isn't he simply exercising a basic and effective form of "resistance". Seems to me he has a shared purpose with this particular course work.

7. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,802
    Evan Bayh spoke at ours in 2003. I wanted to throw up having to listen to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    Oh please you could make those exact same contentions about anyone. Including yourself and especially all other public figures. Now exactly where did someone cry about having their feelings hurt ?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    I like turtles likes this.
  9. I like turtles

Money:
    $388
    I can easily argue without doing a second of research how the last 10 presidents have perpetuated or tolerated any ism-de-jour. This is stupid.

how some of you double down on defending this crap is beyond bizarre.

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,061
    I don't know what you mean by this.

Tentozen likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,061
    So, DJT is par for the course? Is that your argument? He is ordinary?

Tentozen and firedupkaren like this.
  12. I like turtles

Money:
    $388
    Amen!

Any one with a bit of historical knowledge and some creativity can make an argument that a cherry picker will jump on and declare as a universal fact.

13. bulldogs51

bulldogs51 Active Member

Money:
    $170
    I'll stick with the pass/fail movies class to fill out the last 3 hours to graduate my senior year every time.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,061
    [/QUOTE]
    You find nothing historically anomalous about Trump being elected to the presidency?

Tentozen likes this.
  15. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    Do you want me to start prejudicialy going through your almost 2300 messages and start pulling out selected quotes ?

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,061
    I'd prefer you explain what you meant. Are you saying I attack people and not their position/arguments?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  17. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,885
    No, I think I'll just end my participation in this idiotic exercise.

I like turtles likes this.
  18. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $735
    I don't have problem at all with this type of class. I think every student has had to take course(s) taught by professors with an alternative view or agenda.

Go Dawgs!

19. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    I think the professor is something impolite to say at the dinner table. If my daughter paid money for this class, I would make her take out loans to finish school. President Trump is a blithering idiot with more character flaws than I can count. All that being said, I have no problem whatsoever with an ELECTIVE course on this topic.

The comment about confirmation bias is spot on... the students who take the class will do so because it will make them feel better about themselves and their perception of their own intellectual superiority. For some reason, I do see this as a double standard though: if I ask my buddy on faculty in the history department to propose a topics class on Men of Honor: Great Perpetrators of Ethnic Cleansing in the 21st Century, I don't see that going over well. Diversity of thought matters, until it's challenged by diverse thought outside the mainstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    Let's put this thread to bed and go back to a basketball discussion.