Butler Trump Class

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by Overland Bark, May 3, 2017.

1. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    "The University will review its practice of accepting preliminary course descriptions for Special Topics classes."

That's probably a really good idea.

2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,342
    Worried about donations? I think so.

3. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,605
    One of the big donors I know is not pleased FWIW.

4. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $367
    I'm sure you could look at the course catalog every year (at every single college) and find terrible and/or worthless topics for courses. Hell, I took a couple when I was there.

Everybody wants to be a victim these days and wants to be pissed off. Watch ESPN (or Netflix) and chill.

Tentozen, Hinkle and firedupkaren like this.
  5. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $740
    I think these comments in response to Turtle got lost in an earlier post. With these thoughts, I'm done.

I'm probably intellectually mundane, since I have no idea what you mean by that. I was simply trying to be funny. Think of all the classes across every department that some of us think are stupid and some think are life changing. That's the point of a liberal arts education. Having said this, please know I'm unashamedly a very liberal Democrat who enjoys the comments of the entire spectrum of board users across many subjects.

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,444
    I took a light-hearted approach to this thread as well and really don't care to get into a true philosophical discussion on the topic. When it comes to intellectual freedom, people obviously think differently. Whether we share or listen to opinions matters little. The problem is trying to force others to comply or conform with views they don't share. Now back to my bubble...

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,915
    Yes and I am certain this particular course is all about sharing differing views.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    I like turtles likes this.
  8. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $74
    Dawgs4Life likes this.
  9. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,035
    Cal Berkley is having a class this summer teaching students to speak Dothraki. (That's a made up language from the HBO show Game of Thrones for those who don't know). So yeah, there are definitely worthless courses at every school - even prestigious Berkley.

10. indienapolis

indienapolis Active Member

Money:
    $300
    Conservative voices being afraid to speak up was not my experience at Butler. I remember liberal arts classes with a lot of difference of opinion, including classes taught by this professor. Granted my time there is getting further and further in my rearview, so maybe its some kind of liberal haven now, but I kinda doubt it.

11. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    I really hope you are being sarcastic about Berkeley aka Antifa U aka most clinically insane U.

I never want Butler to be compared similarly to that place.

Ironic that schools that charge $50k/year are so "progressive." Also, aren't they discrimatory towards students they don't accept. It goes against their "inclusivity" messaging. Hypocrisy running rampant.

12. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $367
    Wow. Now that is messed up. I would think Valyrian would be a more useful offering.

13. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member

Money:
    $580
    The school acts as if the problem was the way it originally chose to describe the course as opposed to the fact that it would offer such a course at all. It is meaningless to "tone down the course description" unless it also tones down the actual course content and the way it is taught. It looks like Butler got caught honestly describing a course as it intended it to be taught but realized it was taking flack for it. They chose to address the PR aspects of it by putting out a new course description. Nowhere in the school's statement does it say that the course content actually will change other than to say that activism will not be required. It sounds like disingenuousness of the highest order, which is not a trait that I would hope Butler would want to be known for.

14. Grandpa Bulldog

Grandpa Bulldog Member

Money:
    $27
    Change the course description all you want, but the professor remains the same with the same bias.

15. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $268
    HAHAHA. I thought most of the comments on here where satirical, but I actually think people care.

I am still deeply offended by Professor Marv Scott, when he called out all kids of single parents and told them that they had a lesser opportunity to succeed in life and would be a burden on those people that came from 2 parent households. A fraternity brother of mine, who happened to be from a single family household, told Dr. Scott he was full of "Poop!" We spent the next 50 minutes arguing, discussing and exploring why Dr. Scott made this statement to start Sociology. All the students who felt singled out at the beginning of class were given a chance to speak and at the end we all walked away more engaged in a hot topic.

A registered Republican, I laughed when the term, 'snowflake,' was used on the younger generation of entitled, spoiled kids walking my USA. Unfortunately, I starting to fear we are all turning into Snowflakes.

I graduated from Butler, I have a scholarship endowed at Butler and I love the school. I have bigger things to worry about in my life than trying to get a class cancelled. I wish I had a life where I could worry about the small things. It must be fun....

Now, if Butler starts pulling crap like UNC, recruiting horrible people and/or cheating, I'll pull my money and raise hell. 'The Butler Way,' does not represent a political affiliation, but more of an ideal I try to live by every day.
    LET'S GO DAWGS!

Staxawax and Alcohol101 like this.
  16. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,677
    Hearing similar stuff... this is not a good look for the university no matter what side you are on. That course description was deplorable.

Dunhamfor3 likes this.
  17. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,274
    Google the history of that snowflake insult and hopefully you'll stop using it.

#60 likes this.
  18. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $268
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/322...e-hysterical-cry-babies-millennial-activists/
    https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczy...-his-snowflake-test-it-may-make-you-weep.html

My sincere apologies if I offended someone, but when I look up the term, 'snowflake millennial,' on Google, the above sites popped up. If their is an alternative meaning that I am not aware, I do not want to cause issue.

19. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $3,915
    Snowflake as used above was popularized by the 1999 movie Fight Club..............

"“Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not the beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. We are all part of the same compost heap."

The Nazi stuff was just internet nonsense ......................Even the idiots at Snopes figured that out.

20. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,274
    Hinkle and #60 like this.