Butler Trump Class

Discussion in 'Non Sports' started by Overland Bark, May 3, 2017.

1. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,561
    Disagree, many undergrad classes are designed to teach the basics of subject matter. I learned about business in undergrad, but didn't understand the deeper strategy behind how to win at business until grad school.

There is an interest in the subject matter if 19 kids enrolled. If Danko had any gumption, he'd defend our students who signed up for the class. Understanding the intracacies behind our differences only helps make our cirriculum stronger as a university.

shoeevv likes this.
  2. jal8908

jal8908 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,124
    And now I've failed to avoid this thread like I originally intended to do...

If the course was purely teaching base content like the political and social climates and what lead to Trump being elected and how that will impact our country in the future I'd agree with you. But based on the original course description, it reeks of being a biased, one-sided class that presents an opinion as the lone correct belief with no room to challenge that line of thinking. That to me is not the place of higher education.

I am not a fan of the man as a person or as President, but I'm even less of a fan of close-minded, one sided opinions being presented as fact.

3. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $73
    With that logic there should be a course in why Hillary lost so badly. I bet you can find 19 students to sign up for that if they had the chance.

For that matter you probably can find 19 students interested in how burbon is made or how to jump 2 inches higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    Albrick- You succinctly delivered an excellent summary of the negative impact it has had and how difficult it is to change the narrative and put a lid on it. I suspect and hope future courses and their descriptions are handled more judiciously.

5. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,899
    If anything this course is the antithesis of fundamental subject matter.

UDDawg likes this.
  6. PDT1242

PDT1242 Member

Money:
    $68
    I agree with HFS. This appears to be an upper level course and an elective so it would not be one that teaches fundamentals as it's primary purpose. There have been some excellent posts here although I would love to see this thread disappear from this forum.
    IMHO, I think the subject matter is appropriate for a liberal arts school. I do take exception with the 'course guide' or description and in particular with whomever is in charge of reviewing such things before they are presented to the public. Hopefully, this professor, whom I know very little about but who seems very capable but somewhat political, will emphasize "analysis" and "discuss" as opposed to "teach' as in "fill the empty milk bottle". I also agree with other posters who want to emphasize thinking in and of itself and for it's own sake.
    I would hope that she presents her premise or position, and maybe even intentionally 'stirs the pot' so to speak so as to ignite discussion and debate, then sits back and lets the students 'think' and voice their own feelings. I would also hope that she 'lets them go at it' but makes sure they stay within the proper guidelines of debating, that is staying on point and being civil. I would also hope that freedom of expression and different opinions are welcome and even sought.
    I may be digressing a bit myself, (Mr. Caulfield) but I am hoping that we will not judge and even hang this professor before she is allowed to show what she would like to do with this subject. Who knows maybe BU can be a leader in this debate which I am sure will go on for years to come.
    Okay, bring on the divergent thoughts. Like I said, if we're going to keep this thread on here, let's have an honest and open discussion.
    And, let me make my 'mea culpas' now.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  7. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member

Money:
    $547
    Based on her initial description of the course (which, I assume, she wrote), I think we know what she would like to do with this subject. That's the problem. Hopefully, the actual course will look more like the revised course description. But I doubt it. Apparently they can force her to change the course description to mitigate as much as possible the PR disaster that's ensued, but they can't actually make her change the course. "Academic freedom" and all.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,837
    A Rose by any other name is a Rose. Of course she has an agenda. The lipstick is not going to make the pig anything other than a pig. This is not what the university needs just before all of the planned building expansions.

9. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $731

Outstanding.

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $267
    I think this class would be fascinating. Although the description encompasses too many topics to cover, I honestly think the idea of understanding how the political map ebbs and flow's based on influences, political strategy and hubris would create a lot of buzz and backlash, but would be valuable. Send Butler the idea

indienapolis likes this.
  11. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
  12. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Active Member

Money:
    $205
    Is Ann Savage related to a Meatloaf?

13. FRENCH DAWG

Money:
    $205
  14. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $731

Argue and opine about the course all you want. I like hearing the diverse comments from this Board, but I have no respect for anyone who comments about how someone looks.

15. Crash

Crash Active Member

Money:
    $267
    WHAT?!?! Wasn't there a chain regarding Bobby Fong's game day photo look alikes? I could be wrong, but everyone enjoyed commenting on how players and coaches of opposing teams looked vs. their doppelganger....
    Just saying.

16. Dunhamfor3

Dunhamfor3 Active Member

Money:
    $73
    Where can I pickup one of those Fannie packs. Very handy

17. FRENCH DAWG

Money:
    $205
    I still have a fannie pack and I find them very useful. And the guys name was Bobby Thong.

18. FRENCH DAWG

Money:
    $205
    [​IMG]

Amazon has a wide selection of Fannie packs.

Dunhamfor3 likes this.
  19. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    http://www.dailywire.com/news/16292...anges-description-anti-trump-elliott-hamilton

Good to see Butler getting more embarrassing publicity today, this teacher is a joke. As I don't condone making fun of someone's looks, she should also refrain from making our university a national joke over the last few weeks and recede to anonymity. She has done more damage to our reputation and donations than anyone in Butler's history (besides maybe that Kool-Aid cult dude). Amazing to me she is still drawing a paycheck, she should be peddling her nonsense on huffington post blogs and not our fine university.

Honestly, how you can take someone with a fanny pack seriously? I would love to destroy her in a debate. If your reading this teacher lady, let's set it up.

20. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,044
    Yeah because a publication that uses language like this "Nevertheless, this speaks to the nastiness of the academic Left toward Trump and their insistence on brainwashing the next generation of students to becoming intolerant mouthpieces of the New Left. This does not uphold a commitment to education and to higher learning, but rather to stoke additional coal in the fires of those who feel nothing but senseless hatred for anyone that disagrees with them." should definitely be taken seriously.

fdr, estar20dawg and Tentozen like this.