Butler Vaults Into First, Improves Resume

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 26, 2017.

By Jared Grubbs on Jan 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM
  1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $11,496
    These past two days couldn't have gone any better for Butler. Winning on the road in the Big East is tough, but the Bulldogs picked up a huge road win to hand Seton Hall their first home loss this season. That win alone will help boost a team's resume, but Butler has gotten some help around the country to go with it. TeamRankings.com uses current results and future predictions to simulate the rest of the season and determine outcome odds. Here's what their predicted final Big East standings were on Tuesday morning:

BigEodds.PNG

At 9.3% chance to win the conference, Butler was more of a hopeful contender than a serious threat to take the regular season Big East crown away from Villanova. But Villanova collapsed late against Marquette on Wednesday and Creighton fell to last place (at the time) Georgetown. Now the Big East picture looks like this:

BigEodds2.PNG

It's a two team race, and while Villanova is still a heavy favorite, the Big East title is realistically in play for the Bulldogs. But that's not all. It wasn't only the top Big East teams that lost. Four more top 10 ranked teams across the country fell over the past two days (Kansas, Kentucky, Florida St, UCLA). Butler isn't just trying to claim their first Big East title, they are trying for a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Tuesday morning Butler's projected seeding looked like this:

NCAATodds.jpg

And now here were are 48 hours later:

NCAATodds2.jpg
    Butler now has a 24.2% chance of being a top seed in the NCAA tournament, and the odds of them being a 1 or a 2 seed are better than any alternative. There's only a 7% Butler isn't released as a top 4 seed on selection Sunday.

Of course this is college basketball, and it isn't played on paper. There is no reward for being predicted to finish the season strong. If Butler were to drop the next one at home against Georgetown all of these numbers would take a significant dive. This year more than ever the odds seem to mean very little. But if you are a fan of Butler basketball, you have to be thrilled with how this season is shaping up for the program.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Sidd Finch likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Insane Dawg
      Insane Dawg
      The way St. John is playing it is possible that our loss there won't look as bad come the end of the season. Losing Watson has been a killer for Creighton. Feel terrible for that kid. Had he not been injured it would have been a different story.
    2. UDDawg
      UDDawg
      I know that if, somehow, we got a 1 seed (I still have no faith in that happening) we'll all be terrified of becoming the first 1 seed to lose in the first round.
      Staxawax likes this.
    3. BulldogsFTW
      BulldogsFTW
      I am beyond giddy that we are in a position to talk about the possibility of getting snubbed from a number 1 seed instead of getting snubbed out of the tournament.
      pjohnsto2003 and ChiDawg3 like this.
    4. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      You are right. I will never feel comfortable about a game in March.
      #60 and UDDawg like this.
    5. Jared Grubbs
      Jared Grubbs
      Just updated the article because I forgot about Florida State being another top 10 team to fall. The computers are smarter than I am though, so the numbers are all the same.
      Wow!!

Keeping it real: No one at the beginning of this season--let alone 5 or 10 years ago--would've thought BU had nearly a 93% chance to be a NCAAT 1-thru-4 seed. Heavily weighted toward the 1, 2 & 3 seeds. Serious props to the entire program & everyone's efforts.

(This year we were RIDICULOUSLY underrated in pre-season & are now playing ball at this level. And we've reloaded quite nicely for next year.)

Wow!!
      LA-OC-IE likes this.