Butler vs. Marquette

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by kac12568, Nov 5, 2012.

1. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,646
    Todd Mayo Out

Todd Mayo academically ineligible. He averaged 7.9 points and 2.7 rebounds last year.

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,868
    Interesting. I always wonder how long indefinitely is. I wonder what he is required to do to get back in good academic standing. It would be nice if it was right after we play them!

3. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,961
    As a current MU student, it's really fortunate he's not playing. He's OJ's brother, and he can really light it up, especially with DJO gone were really counting on him to score. Anywho, it's sad we don't have him (can't imagine how hard it is to pass your classes here...the players are treated like gods)...but its good for Butler.

4. BUStudent

BUStudent Active Member

Money:
    $143
    Read somewhere online that hes out for the semester. Will still be able to sit bench but will not dress. Will return Dec. 15th after the semester ends.

5. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $3,961
    Vander will probably guard Rot. I have no idea who will stop Jamil and Gardner. Junior can be really turnover prone. It'll be interesting to see what happens. If people thought Xavier was going to give us problems with their athleticism, then Marquette is going to be a long day. Not afraid to full court press at all. Easily one of the fastest backcourts in the country (even without Todd and DJO).....it'll be a fun game (I hope), but I don't know who will be able to a) stop Vander from getting to the rim b) get past Vander....he's an amazing perimeter defender.

I said this in the other forum....our bigs had better be ready to be aggressive, because Gardner is a brick sh*thouse and Wilson is a machine too.[hr]
    And I didn't even mention Lockett.

Not trying to be doom and gloom after the last game (I think a bit of over-reaction happened) but I think Marquette is going to be all sorts of trouble.

6. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    IJR: I was looking at the boxes of Marquette's first 2 games and their starting perimeter players have woeful FG %'s. Blue/Lockett and Cadougan are a combined 12-39 from the floor.

Is this a team where we can beg them to shoot the outside J and pack it inside? Gardner and Otule seem like a load.

Looking forward to seeing how Butler defends Marquette. It sounds like it is going to be almost imperative that Smith/Fromm/Marshall/Woods and Jones come to play. Interior defense, rebounding and shutting off penetration might be a key. I wonder if Marquette is a flawed team on offense though? Do they have the outside shooting?

7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $34
    Yes butlerfan, that will be Butler's best defensive strategy is to make it a halfcourt game and pack it in against their big guys. They can't be left completely open, but you can give these guys space which will help negate some of their speed in drives to the hoop.

Offensively, unless some monumental changes are made in the way they ran their offense the first two games, it's going to be a very difficult matchup. Marquette's essentially a more athletic (though less skilled shooting-wise) version of Xavier.

8. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $3,961
    Yeah, MU isn't a great shooting team. Without DJO or Jae, there isn't really anyone you absolutely have to stay on from the outside who starts. That being said, Jake Thomas can flat out shoot. He doesn't start, but he plays. Otherwise, neither Junior nor Vander can shoot that well, actually Vander is terrible much to the frustration of all MU fans, but it's very hard to stop either of them from getting to the rim...if MU gets the ball in transition, watch out. Buzz loves uptempo games, which is why he recruits mainly great athletes.

You don't really have to worry about Otule scoring a lot. He isn't a points machine, his value is being huge and playing defense. Jamil and Gardner are the guys who can score. Ps, if he plays like he can, Gardner has the softest touch you've ever seen for a guy his size. Personally, I love watching him play.

With the fact that all my friends here know my fan pecking order goes Butler then MU, I'm frightened for how much crap I'm going to get. Pray for me.

9. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $3,961
    The trick is: MU guards love driving about as much as they love taking incredibly difficult shots. If our forwards can go to alter the shot instead of blocking it, then acrobatic layup after acrobatic layup will be tried. You just can't foul.

10. Three Specks

Three Specks New Member

Money:
    $5
    I will be in Maui for the tournament. I will do my best to give any updates from the game

11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    I don't see any lines for the game, just for the tournament. It looks like Butler is +500 right now to win Maui.

12. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,041
    Looking for DeVontae to show his stuff and see what he can bring to the table.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Turnovers and missed shots. Looks like the start of Xavier. They haven't done a terrible job initially on defense (the first few possessions were outstanding), but loose ball put backs have hurt them.

14. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    What a win! Players played their guts out.

Let's get North Carolina!!

Go Butler.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    That certainly puts the question to rest about whether this team is physical enough to play in the A10. That game was a bloodbath for most of the time, until the officials starting calling everything down the stretch. They are going to be exhausted against UNC next.

16. Ignatius J. Reilly

Money:
    $3,961
    1) great put back by Fromm at the end
    2) great great game from Marshall
    3) wow
    4) kellen went AWOL, hopefully he'll be the guy making shots tomorrow
    5) Rotnei shouldn't play point. Liked what I saw from Aldridge. But you can't have Rotnei as your point. We need him off the ball.

17. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
  18. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6
    Great win and confidence builder for the team. Frustrated the game came down to the wire. We should have won by 5, 6, 8, 10 if we could just hit maybe 65%+ of Free Throws. Butler has got to get better at this facet of the game. RJ needs to stretch more. I am beginning to think his lats are so bulky and tight, he literally can't lift his arms over his head in a relaxed fashion when shooting FT's.

I thought Smith had a few lapses, but was better. He remained in the game mentally. Good job Smith.

Dunk Marshall was the biggest answer to the defense extending way out on Rot and Kellen. RJ picked up his performance in the lane during the 2nd half. KM and RJ will have to carry a big load on Tue. night.

Jackson looked better than normal.

Dunham was passive tonight. He had a couple of good moves and had a sweet dish to Marshall. Seemed to be a little flat footed, though. ESPN quoted several NBA scouts were at the game to watch KD. I hope they give him a break.

Enjoy the win! It was exciting to watch.
    BG

19. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6
    We got 2 pts off the bench. Fromm's tip-in at the 39:51 mark of the game. Tue night, it will be Fromm Time!!!!

20. Dog77

Dog77 New Member

Money:
    $5
    That was another Butler win for the ages! Hats off to the players and coaches for bouncing back the way they did after the Xavier debacle.

I was impressed by Aldridge's play and ability to handle the tough pressure from the MU backcourt. No turnovers for him--that's impressive and shows a lot of growth over last year. Here's hoping that he contineus to play well and develop. I agree that we need to find an alternative for Rotnei at the point. I think it takes too much out of him which impacts his shooting. Maybe Aldridge can take over that role.

Even though Dunham didn't do much offensively, he made a couple of good, confident drives to the hole. Also he had several nice dishes inside--even though all his good passes weren't converted into baskets.

Overall, I thought there were many things to get excited about. I think it bodes well for the future.

Go Dawgs!