Butler vs. Seton Hall (Round 1 of Big East Tournament)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,120
    Here's the Big East Tourny odds from KenPom. A 0.02% chance to win the tournament isn't great... but I guess it's not impossible.

It's interesting that KenPom actually favors Seton Hall over us in the first round (but not by much). I know they won 2 more games than us in the conference season, but we beat them twice by an average of 12 points a game.

Either way, I'd be surprised if anyone other than Nova or Creighton won the title. (Although St. John's could be a darkhorse given the home-court advantage).

..........................Qtrs........Semis.......Final......Champ
    1 Villanova..........100.0........85.8........60.1........37.6
    2 Creighton.........100.0........78.4........58.7........32.8
    5 St. John's.........100.0........64.7........25.9........12.4
    3 Xavier..............100.0........57.0........19.0.........6.4
    4 Providence........100.0........35.3.........9.9.........3.4
    6 Marquette.........100.0........43.0.......11.9.........3.3
    7 Georgetown........82.4........20.4.......10.1.........3.1
    8 Seton Hall..........51.3..........7.4.........2.2.........0.5
    9 Butler................48.7..........6.8.........1.9.........0.4
    10 DePaul..............17.6..........1.2.........0.2.......0.02

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/big_east_log51

2. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    I'm not sure if KenPom factors it into his probabilities or not, but it is very hard to beat the same team twice, and we need to do it three times now. Although I think we have Seton Hall's number, they swept both Xavier and Georgetown this year and DO have the tools to beat us. Butler needs to bring the same confidence and intensity that they did at home on Saturday, but this game is far from easy.

Seton Hall will not want to lose to us again.

3. DawgsfoLife

DawgsfoLife Member

Money:
    $6
    Dunham will not shoot 7 for 7, game will be tight.

4. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    They also wont zone us to start the game...

I just hope we come out and play hard the full 40 minutes. Would like to see more of Berry this game.

5. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Opening line is Seton Hall by 1.5...

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised in someone other than Villanova/Creighton wins. Those two are by far the best teams, but also have the least to play for. "Upsets" of top seeds in power conference tournaments are the norm, rather than the exception, due to the motivation gap.

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,074
    Wow...after that beat down the other day I thought it would be a pick on a neutral floor or maybe 1-2 in our favor. Interesting.

7. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
  8. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
  9. Nildogg

Nildogg Active Member

Money:
    $8,574
  10. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,213
    Does anyone know what's going on at Grand Central Station this afternoon at 5? I'm seeing all these tweets about some big event for Butler fans.

11. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $647
    Anyone going ? I was feeling less then enthusiastic and was seriously thinking of passing up the tourney even though it's close by for me. However these last two games reinvigorated my desire, and I got on the internet and found two good seats for the opening round.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  12. bd5

Money:
    $3,289
    It's not just for Butler fans; it's an "event" for the entire Big East fan base. Don't get too excited though.

13. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,213
    Ohh, gotcha, thanks. I was suspecting something like that; seemed a little odd to me that Butler alone would have an event in a place like that. Thanks for clearing that up.

14. hortonamos

hortonamos New Member

Money:
    $24
    Call me a homer, but I think if we beat SH (and I'm well aware that's far from guaranteed), then we stand a good chance against Nova. They've got a good seed secured, they beat us soundly last time: it's kind of a trap game for them. And we played them really well in the first game. That's as far as I'm willing to convince myself BU will make it, though. St. John's will almost certainly demolish us in the semis if make it that far.

15. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    I wouldn't like our chances against Nova simply because it's a ridiculous turnaround...7pm to 12pm the next day.

I've been wrong before.

16. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,171
    If Butler continues to move without the ball and can keep Kellen from dribbling all of the air out of the ball......they should be fine. Kellen over dribbling equals losing effort by the Dawgs.

17. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,594
    It was pretty obvious all season that he is a pretty damn good shooter coming off screens and when open in transition.....but not good at all when trying to create off the dribble, as evidenced by the turnovers, blocked attempts, and sometimes wild shots. Past two games he has done the former. Wonder if he realized that or if he got "coached". Too bad there aren't a couple of more shooters on this team to take some of the pressure off him. Should be a real weapon the next couple of years, assuming Brown develops and we can add a couple of more guys who can spot up from the exterior.

18. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $554
    Given how Kellen destroyed SHU last game, I would start by pounding it inside given that all the attention will be on KD. One thing that also helped us last game is that we really did make that effort to get inside and drew them in foul trouble.

19. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $977
    I agree peeps112 - they willl be (or should be) all over KD like turkey on a platter. Will need someone else to step-up and score consistently.

20. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,132
    I think that CHAZ will have a big night. I remember he had a big night in his first start and last game KD just got super hot and we didn't have to go to him. That and Fromm started for senior night. I foresee a lot of CHAZ early.