Butler vs. Tiffin- 10/29/22

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BUBBALUM, Oct 29, 2022.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    In defense of the Dawg Pound, there’s no better night in college than the Saturday of Halloween weekend. I’m a die hard butler hoops fan, obviously, and even I’m not missing a any part of Halloween festivities for an exhibition.

Regarding Chick Fil A, I could be wrong, but I want to say it wasn’t at the exhibitions last year, either, but then it was at all the regular season games.

Regarding the beer - I’m with you, but we have to be thankful we have it at a college sports event. Lots of places would be jealous.

troggy, BNiche, bumba and 1 other person like this.
  2. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $341
    Tiffin Coach Tom Cook seems to be a really good guy. Hope he does well in his career. Not enough good people like him .

As for Taylor I believe he got pulled quickly after going in in the second half for a blown defense.

Lukosius may be better coming off the bench and last year he was best in the second half like last night. He might be analyzing the game from the bench to find the spots to attack when he comes in.

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,384
    It is entirely possible that our players are bad. I don’t think that’s the case; I would be surprised if we’re not fine, but I think this past summer was the first time in a while we haven’t had a significant number of transfers/non retention. (kind of humorous given changing coaches resulted in more stability than we saw by keeping the previous coach).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Hinkle likes this.
  4. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Well-Known Member

Money:
    $884
    Does That Matta have his own Twitter handle...lots of fake ones from his OSU days but I can't seem to locate his actual Twitter handle? Thanks to all.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $580
    Yikes if Ali is actually out until the end of November. Hopefully this isn't the case. Thought I read he was having surgery last Wednesday or Thursday. Was hoping with a week plus recovery, we'd see a masked Ali for the New Orleans game and he could get some good run and the team could normalize rotations ahead of the Penn State game the following week.

6. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,096
    My takeaways (that don't really mean much of anything sense it was an exhibition)
    • Thad seemed to run his rotations like he would a regular season game. Some minutes for Pierce and Turnbull, but not a ton.
    • This is going to be a very good defensive team. Their were a few lapses and miscommunications, but we forced Tiffin into a lot of tough shots (and they hit a fair few)
    • We shot terribly, but I thought we got good looks. Missing good shots versus chucking garbage like last year gives me some hope
    • 22 FT attempts was nice to see given how bad we've been at getting to the line. That *should* help the efficiency as long as guys actually step up and hit to them.
    • Manny is a game changer. Defensively goes without saying, but offensively he opened up so much for our guards with the defense having to respect him as the roll man.
    • I did think it was interesting how much we force fed Manny in the post. I thought that might have disrupted the guards rhythm a bit since they aren't used to having that, will be interested in how that progresses this season.
    • Hunter is such a great piece and man I wish he would have been a dawg from the start.
    • Luko is a stud.
    • Jayden looked great when he got going downhill, disappointed with the foul trouble that kept him out a lot in the second half.
    • Chuck was just off, can't put my finger on what it was.
    Overall, I liked what I saw (minus the poor shooting). I thought based on how both teams played, 7/10 games are 20+ point wins.

dawgs2014, BNiche, #60 and 3 others like this.
  7. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,218
    Harris did not have a good game on offense, but it was fun to see him on defense. He was playing very physically (including lots of hands) and was fortunate to have only two fouls called on him in the first half. Reminded me of the best Butler defenses with the "they can't call them all" philosophy. He got his third foul early in the second half, which proved to be a blessing since Simas replaced him and took over the game. Still, it's clear that Harris is working hard on his defense.

8. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $454
    Chuck didn't shoot the ball that much in the first place. He had a couple of silly turnovers, but so did quite a few players. You can look past that in an exhibition game... more than the copious amount of missed free throws.

9. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $840
    There will be no Chick-Fil-A they didn’t re-up their contract. Means no free Chick Fil A as well I assume if we hit 80 points

tlp63 likes this.
  10. Jimmy Lafakis

Jimmy Lafakis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,196
    No. Not a big social media guy. That’s why it’s cool he was in the TikTok with Taylor

11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,485
    [​IMG]

12. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,485
    One of my biggest worries going into the season is defensive rebounding (specifically from the 4 position), not sure this game calmed my concerns?

13. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    Funny you say that about force feeding manny, didn’t watch the game and I believe what you saw

I believe matta said after the game he wasn’t happy with the lack of inside looks and wants the offense to run inside out

Will be curious what that looks like if matta is wanting more inside feeds

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,342
    Manny got some good looks early and then they stopped going to the post. It was available all game. It won't be quite that easy in the Bahamas or conference, but Manny will be fine. Match up wise Tiffin's players were not tall but all solid built. They bullied us a bit. That was Thad's reference to playing tougher. We had a couple of good runs that got us the win. Overall, unimpressive.

znelson15 likes this.
  15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,037
    How sure of this are you? You’re breaking my heart.

HoosierDawg and tcdtcd like this.
  16. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,096
    It wasn't so much the volume that felt forced but how they went about it. A lot of 1 guard feeds and clear outs for him on the block. We didn't hit him on the move/rolling to the basket very much or drop passes off of penetration. And not a ton of action off ball when he had it in the post. I would have to assume we'll see more of that as the offense grows over the season, but it wasn't there last night.

znelson15 likes this.
  17. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,574
    Makes sense

Overall thank you for insight to the game

It’s already dark, snowy and cold here in Montana aka butler season

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,756
    Does anyone know anything more about this? This is the first I’ve heard that Ali might be out that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

19. Westside Dawg

Westside Dawg New Member

Money:
    $33
    They didn’t show the actual hype video during team intros. I think they’re holding it until regular season starts.

BUcheer likes this.
  20. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,217
    Wouldn’t surprise. He’s back in Ft. Wayne recovering so probably more extensive than initially speculated.