Butler vs. Xavier (1/7)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,313

2. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Active Member

Money:
    $212
    Brad Stevens?

3. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,088
    Sure hope Hodges is available for Georgetown next week.:)

tobystorrs likes this.
  4. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,088
    I forgot to mention Groce, as well.:)

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,868
    To me that's worse than apathy...accepting mediocrity or poor play. I'd rather just not care than except dog crap as my product.

iluvsnow and peeps112 like this.
  6. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $294
    This may sound weird, but I'm actually feeling better about Jordan as our coach than I did a month ago. I think our seniors just aren't good, aren't capable of competing, and seem halfway checked out. What has me feeling slightly less pessimistic is that I feel like there has been marked improvement from early in the season, which is probably largely Taylor and Luko having the game start to slow down a little. Of course the question is why would a team filled with 5th year seniors look so pathetic to start the season...but maybe that's as much on them as the coaching staff.

Watching the Xavier game, we looked better...just without enough skill on the court to really compete...most notably at center and lack of shooters.

7. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,868
    To say "this team played like a tournament team" while getting blown out at home had me half fuming but more so laughing. I don't get what he's seeing or anything positive people are seeing to come to that conclusion. Much like politicians, I cannot imagine he actually believed what he was posting.

peeps112 likes this.
  8. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,606
    Saying this team got blown out at home is the laughable part. They were down 7-10 the entire game, until foul desperation time.

Xavier did a better job for about 7 minutes in the first half - 11:00 to 4:00, where they built the lead. Butler was never able to get 3+ stops with scores to go on a true run to put pressure on Xavier. One guy went bonkers in the last quarter of the game. This was not a blow out, but wasn’t particularly close either.

I actually thought our fan base knew basketball a little better than the over-emotional reactions on this board lately.

Someone posted that we’re becoming DePaul. Seriously. It’s taken 30 years to get to that point. If we’re the next DePaul, I guess Michigan is the next Northwestern.

I’d love to talk basketball and strategy, not bash guys like they just broke up with you two days before the prom.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,571
    If your point is that that there is not statistical variance in small sample sizes, which is what a game is, that is just a fundamental misunderstanding of mathematics and it’s application to sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,639
    6th place would look damn good right now, considering Lunardi has 8 Big East teams in his bracket. But we are looking much more like 9th, 10th or 11th place team than 6th, 7th or 8th.

11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,571

????????????

Two of our seniors combined to go 17-36 for 37 points???? That’s more than half of our points.

?????

bwesson15 and Tentozen like this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $16,313
    You have to feel for this kid. He sure has had a raw deal with the NCAA denying him for no reason, then covid then breaking his leg in a pick up game.

13. schoops

Money:
    $294
    Of course it's more than half our points! The seniors account for what 80-90% of our total minutes. My point is that this senior class isn't very good. 2 seniors combining to shoot under 50% doesn't make a team of over half seniors good.

14. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,606
    Seton Hall is down at home to an unranked team and has the chance to go 1-3 in conference. They better burn it down and join the MAAC next year.

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $8,571
    Sorry it was 17-26. That was a typo.

16. schoops

Money:
    $294
    I don't think that changes my point really. For example, AT still can't shoot from outside 8 feet after 5 years. Is that on LJ or him? Every one of our seniors is seriously flawed. I don't hate them. I think we have a group that should all be bench players on a really good team.

17. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,095
    Apathy by who? The people on this board?
    Do you believe that complaining on this board has any effect on the play of the team? Just curious.

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $16,313
    I don’t know about your last sentence. Nze and Golden were far better on both ends of the court than their bigs. Most of our drives to the bucket were due to their lousy interior defense. Their perimeter defense is very good.Fremantle is a matador. Lack of shooters from three I’ll give you. Again we shot 23-35 inside the line. Was that bad shooting?

As for the seniors - Nze, Golden and AT were outstanding last night. And Nze gave it everything he had while in noticeable pain. I didn’t notice those three checking out. LJ pulled David because he did nothing on either end. As for Bolden he isn’t a great defender but better than Harris which is why he isn’t starting and Taylor is. The other two seniors didn’t dress. So I guess they checked out.

Now what I would change up on the starting line up if Hodges stays out is to go with the following

AT
    Taylor
    Nze
    Golden
    Lukosius

Lukosius is bigger and stronger. And he can create.

19. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $541

I love the optimism you project on this board Danville. Don’t ever stop being you.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,589
    Could we end the "tournament team" conversation? Out NET ranking was in the 140's as of Friday. No matter how we played last night, BU is not remotely close to being considered for March Madness.

jkcdawgs and willisbrown like this.