Butler vs. Xavier (1/7)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 6, 2022.

1. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,483
    For those that mentioned the X fans, even my brother, who graduated from there and joined me for the game, said he was embarrassed. The “This is our house” chant at the end was stupid, and their fans were generally discourteous to boot.

In all, they’re insufferable.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

johnhardingftw, NCJon and jkcdawgs like this.
  2. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $294
    So what what? Totally get your point...there's no reason to assign any of our struggles to the seniors...they're great.

3. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,111
    I don’t know about how he will do with the leg once he plays this year. It is evidently not healed. Last year He got 6 boards per game and played good D, adding size, length and quickness to match up better with the league. Offensive numbers were meh last year. That said if he takes Boldens spot and contributes at last year’s numbers, then I see a net positive. I don’t see Hodges shooting any worse than what Bolden is putting up and he is a better defender. I imagine it will take a month of play to actually find out. There are only 2 months left. So there’s that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,501
    My guess is if Butler downgraded to the A10 (and I don’t see that happening) their basketball budget would also be downgraded.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

dawgs2014, BNiche and NCJon like this.
  5. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Active Member

Money:
    $212
    So Creighton and Xavier came from smaller conferences to join the BE and have been more successful than Butler overall. I'd be curious to know how much those 2 universities spent on bball before joining the BE and after and how that compares to Butler.

6. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    One of the most frustrating parts for me is that Lavall doesn’t even have us doing the little things right. If it was just “bad injury luck” or our recruiting didn’t work out, that’s one thing, but he just can’t coach. We’re one of the most turnover prone teams in the country. That is controllable. We run no sets, barely pass, and chuck up contested 3s at the end of the clock. That’s coaching. Thad, Lick, Brad, and Holt would have the team doing all the little things right. Sometimes we couldn’t match up due to size or talent, but we wouldn’t consistently be this bad.

Tentozen and dippper61 like this.
  7. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $644
    What makes us think that we’re in better shape than any of these programs going forward: Nova, X, UCONN, Seton Hall, Providence, Creighton, Marquette, Saint John? I can’t think of any good argument that we are. That leaves us fighting with DePaul and Georgetown for the basement. Our standards should be higher. That’s on Barry, Danko, and the Board.

Tentozen and ButlerFan89 like this.
  8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,140
    Exactly. It'd be difficult to maintain the current level of spending when the revenue from t.v. is significantly smaller in a conference like the A-10. That's not to knock the A-10, which is a good basketball conference. They just don't and won't get the same kind of t.v. deals as the Big East.

9. WAJC77

WAJC77 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $842
    I know its not healthy to live in the past, but every once in a while getting down in the dumps over our team I pull out this very simplistic music video (still pix only unfortunately) and wish we could go to war with this hard-nosed bunch again :)

10. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Active Member

Money:
    $392
    I re-watch the all of the 2010 and 2011 tourney games (ok, I don't watch the UCONN game) every March. Living in the past is ehh, but I do like reliving times when our teams played beyond themselves. When they found themselves at an impasse and struggling during the season, they came back and started winning. You had a feeling that even though you were outmatched and supposed to lose to a top team, you believed you would win because they just would. Lo and behold, they would find a way to beat them in the most absurd way possible.

If you want support, then make us feel like we can win even if we're not as talented. We're not as talented, but right now, people here are now expecting us to lose games before we tipoff. You know the outcome because the actions we take are the same as every other time. Do you want players to screw around in warmups because they know they won't play? Why are all of these players who come in because they say they respect LaVall, and immediately turn around and leave the program? There's a missing piece to the puzzle. Do I know much of anything of what's going on in the inside? Of course not, but it's awfully disheartening.

My seats are good (not quite top-tier), but I'll admit that I don't have this innate urge to get up and drown out the Xavier chants when we're down double-digits for most of the game. A few years back, I'd be heckling along with the band (which is poorer than usual, too) during the free throws. Now, all I can do is shake my head when an easy layup is missed, put my palm to my head when an assignment is late to lead to open three, or roll my eyes when they let a missed shot drop to the floor.