Butler Women's Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,563
    The women's basketball team picked up their 4th straight win in the Big East today, moving them to 4-2. I'm starting a new thread for discussion so it's not linked to the firing of the previous coach. Hopefully I'll eventually need to turn it into an entire sub-forum and not just a thread. This program is headed in the right direction and positive results are starting to show quicker than most predicted. I really need to make an effort on this site to devote more coverage to them and show them a lot more support. I'm going to make that one of my goals in 2015 to expand our coverage of the Butler women's basketball team.

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,998
    I'm glad to see a separate thread. I cringe every time I see the other one has been bumped.

Very impressed with the early conference results Godlevske is getting.

3. BGDawgFan

BGDawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $124
    I've been to two of their games this season, and Sydney Buck has had a big game both times. I think I'm her good luck charm. I saw her play for Homestead in the Hall of Fame Classic last year, and she made seven treys in the first half of their game with Rushville. Great shooter.

4. Butlerfan28

Butlerfan28 New Member

Money:
    $5
    ATTENDANCE Home Avg
    Butler 6-3184 531
    Creighton 9-10043 1116
    DePaul 10-30371 3037
    Georgetown 8-3972 496
    Marquette 10-12289 1229
    Providence 8-3886 486
    Seton Hall 11-6332 576
    St. John's 10-6628 663
    Villanova 7-4885 698
    Xavier 9-9178 1020

Here are home attendance numbers. Lets hope the fans come out and support this team as they are really moving forward.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $321
  6. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,176
    Sometimes my DirecTV season pass for Butler Basketball picks up an odd women's game and I'm intrigued. Saw that five point play against St. John's, that was wild.

I also think that Belle Obert joining the team has helped to solidify the rotation. I'm sure she's graduating and her and Barlow (or Kellen if you believe Pointer) will be off to do their thing, but if she was say a pharmacy major and/or stayed in school, would she retain like 3 more years of basketball eligibility? I know she used four for volleyball, but wasn't sure how that worked.

7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $321
    Believe you have 6 years to use your 4 years of eligibility, so she would indeed have the option to play if she and the coaching staff so choose (and if she is still working towards a degree in her major), but who knows. I'm thoroughly impressed with her though. Being off from organized basketball for 3 years and then coming in to be a starter on a D1 team, and playing well to boot is incredible.

I too saw the 5 point play, which took them from being down 2 to up 3 at St. John's. Crazy sequence of events.

8. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,239
  9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,563
    Pretty sure it's only 5 years, unless you get a waiver, usually due to an injury. Normally you have 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility per sport. I honestly don't know her background, but assuming she is a true senior she would have 1 more year where she can play basketball. After that her 5 years is up and she is done. If she redshirted a year in volleyball then she would be at her 5 year limit and would be done, unless it was a medical redshirt then she could have a case for a waiver for an additional year. A quick bit of research and I see no indication that she ever was redshirted for any reason, so I don't think that is an issue.

10. BGDawgFan

BGDawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $124
    I think ButlerWay has it right. Julian Betko went 6 years to play 4, but he had a medical waiver. Normally, it's 5 years to play 4. If I understood Belle correctly in a recent interview, she will not be graduating in May. It sounded like she needs an additional semester to graduate. She could play one more season of basketball next year if she were to enroll in a graduate program. Susan Lester did that at Butler (with the sports reversed) a few years ago. She played 4 years of basketball, graduated, and then enrolled in a graduate program and played one season of volleyball.

11. Butlerfan28

Butlerfan28 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I don't think she needs to enroll in a graduate school, I think she can just go two more semesters. To your point, she has said she needs one more semester but she could take other classes. Since this is her 4th year enrolled at Butler she can play for one more year next year assuming the coaches give her a scholarship or she wants to pay for another full year.

No one in this thread has mentioned IJ. To me she is the most talented player on the team and maybe the most talented basketball player in the school. She can get her shot at will and when they double team her she is adept at passing the ball to Belle for easy lay-ups. She is second in the league in rebounds and in my mind should have been the Big East player of the week last week after Butler handed St. Johns their first loss in league and did it at Carnesecca Arena.

12. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,176
    Thanks all. I knew there had to be some limitations or two-sport stars could meander their way through 8 years of college.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $17,563
    If I was a good athlete I would just play about 5 different sports and stay in college for 20 years.

14. ButlerGoalie

Money:
    $2,176
    Amen to that.

College: The best two decades of my life.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,902
    I was a good athlete and stayed for six years but unlike John Beluchi it definitely was not six years down the drain. I would go back today if I could.

16. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $435
    Are you Julian Betko?

17. bobbu64

bobbu64 Active Member

Money:
    $179
    Butler Way,
    I wasn't an athlete, but I still managed to get in 5+ years!! Who know, I may still have some eligibility left.

18. MiniLaura

MiniLaura Member

Money:
    $7
    The women had a rough start this season because they had only 6-7 active players for a few games. (In fact, they played the last 4 minutes of the Valpo game with only 4 players.) Belle was a nice add, but the real difference has been getting players healthy and/or off the ineligible list.

But yes, the attendance sucks. One of the girls told us that they prefer playing away games because at least there is SOME energy in the building. On the other hand, we always have excellent seats, and we've caught countless mini basketballs and four T-shirts.

The team is doing their annual Daddy-Daughter day this weekend, which would be fun for any little girl: https://butler-wkalf.formstack.com/forms/butlerwbbdaddydaughter (Also, not really limited to daddies. Mommies or other guardians can take a girl in their care.)

19. Butlerfan28

Butlerfan28 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Nice win against Villanova! I assume you are close to the team. They should be excited as that was a nice win.

20. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $321
    The Women's basketball team picked up another big win on the road at Xavier today. Now stand at 7-2, in a tie for 2nd behind top 25 Seton Hall in the Big East standings. This is for a team that at the start of the year was picked dead last in the league. Unbelievable job by both the players and Coach Godlevske to put themselves in this position.