Butler-Xavier

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by butlerfan, Jan 1, 2014.

1. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $489
    Really? I thought it was Romeo but a google search shows you're right. My bad.

2. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    It was out with the Arizona Cardinals.

3. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
  4. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Anyone found any BMill comments(post game) other than the Keefer one where he said tale of two halves etc....

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,074
    Here's a few:

"When things are going really bad, I believe my finger in the air twirl thing will solve the problem."

"We had no answer for Dee Davis. But I did tell the guys not to guard him, at all."

"I decided to tell the team not to run real offensive sets in the second half."

"Playing one on one against a far superior post player was the only thing we could do."

"We haven't worked on FT shooting all season. Why should we?"

Aaaaaaand before you all get sour, I'm just trying to have a little fun in the aftermath of a game where we got our asses handed to us in the second half.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,828
    Come on Willis. We didn't get our "a" handed to us! Lord! We lost that's all. Give X some credit. They played great defense and probably played as well as they have all year. They aren't going to win in our house.

7. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    Can't get myself to read the entire game thread, as I am sure it is depressing - but the most frustrating thing about this team is that these losses have nothing to do with talent. Ironically, this team is playing better than their talent and is struggling with decision making, intangibles, and tactics. Some can be put on Coach Miller, some is definitely put on the players, but either way it is very uncharacteristic of Butler.

Basketball IQ used to be our bread and butter - too many REALLY REALLY bad decisions happened today. Not borderline bad, REALLY REALLY bad. Those are things I am not used to seeing happen at Butler and its very frustrating.

Plus - it doesnt help that I was fully expecting a rebuilding year, was pleasantly surprised after non-conference, and now am back to thinking we are in trouble (NIT at best).

I DO think Butler will get better and turn it around eventually. And I DO think that Butler was probably supposed to lose these first two games - but having watched both games and how both transpired makes me upset that we didn't pull out one or both of these games. With a little more organization, discipline, and better decision making Butler is probably 2-0.

8. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,213
    We did get our asses handed to us. Up by 5 at half and lost by 11. They were just way too big and they shut down Dunham. That's really all teams need to do to beat us. Be significantly stronger and shut down Dunham.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,074
    I gave them plenty of credit. X played great and had a magnificent 2nd have game plan. But we got smoked by 16 points in the 2nd half, that's the definition of asses being handed to us. We shouldn't be losing to any team by that many in a half.

10. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
    Butler really lost 2h by 10 points (not like that is much better), and the game by 5 (right as expected by the line/computer predictions). The forced fouling at the end and the classless dunk at 1 sec don't really count in the "ass handing" category.

Butler did play poorly today. It happens ... to all teams. You can't judge the rest of the season based on one game. Butler will be favored in their next two games and pick 'em or better in 6 of the next 7 (and huge underdogs at Creighton). Indeed, they only face two games harder than this one the rest of the year (@Creigh, @Vill) and one about as difficult (@GTown). Believe it or not, there is a very good chance Xavier is the third best team in the league. In other words, step away from the ledge - the season is not over or even close to it.

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,828
    X fans think the dunk at the end was classy. One even said it was retribution for the dunk by Woods at the end of the first half on the feed by Brown. Guess it is true beauty ( class) is in the eye of the beholder.

As to the game frankly I wasn't discouraged. If you read the Box Score the major difference was free throw shooting and turnovers. Give a point per turnover difference and Dunham hitting his free throws and the results are different. Don't jump guys.

12. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,289
    This.

I can be as critical as the next guy (and I have been so far) but this is a decently long season and the team (and coaching) should only get better. Butler had the toughest first 2 games of any team in the Big East - now let's move on and take care of business on Thursday. All we can hope for as fans is that the team (and coaching staff) learn and make adjustments.

I hate moral victories and don't think this was one, but at the same time you can see how close this team is from being great - even Top25 material. Unfortunately, a few bad coaching and player mistakes result in us on the outside looking in. Things can change quickly.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,828
    X fans are all in on their team. A month ago they were jumping ship as if it were the Titanic. A week ago we were all ecstatic. Now it is doom and gloom. Oh how the fair weather blows.

14. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,611
    Got to find better ways to run the offense in Beast play, so we can get better Dunham looks, and he is going to need to figure out when it's best to shoot it right away, and when he is going to be doubled.

Defensively, need to do a better job of preventing opponents from getting the basketball to their post threats in such good scoring position

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,828
    Dunham needs to run his man in tighter on the screen. With opponent size advantage I don't understand why we don't front the post. Maybe someone can explain that to e.

16. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,074
    I don't think anyone is doom and gloom. I think we just see it for what it is. We'll be in almost every game because of how hard we play and the fact that we have some talent. But this season is going to be a ton about learning how to get over the top for both the players and coaches. We don't have the squad to be in the top half of the Big East. We have a good but not great team, are not very deep and are very small. We'll win a few but be on the short end more than not. Get a 7-11 or 6-12 record in the BE and maybe the NIT comes calling...could make a run there and the lessons of the year are priceless.

Games like today...and more so like last Tuesday are going to be the norm for this team. Close but can't quite get there. It's just the way it is. Too many obstacles to overcome. I can't think of any team that had the offseason we had. It's not doom and gloom, it's just what it is. Mediocre year.

17. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $286
    They'll be favored Thursday vs Depaul, but Saturday they will not be favored assuming all else remains equal against Georgetown. If I see Fromm try to cover Smith 1-on-1, I'm going to start praying for the poor kid. Got to beat DePaul first though, and even that very well could be a tough task.

18. BulldogTJN

BulldogTJN New Member

Money:
    $5
    Winning any game in the Big East is going to be a tough task, but it'll be tough for every team in the league, not just us. This is a pretty darn even league top to bottom, and that's not going to change any time soon…which makes it so frustrating that we're a few FTs and poorly executed plays away from being 2-0 in the league. We're really close, and we'll stay really close in every game. It's going to lead to some frustrating games like the past two, but also some exciting wins. That's why I'm not jumping ship at all on this season or this team. As long as we finish conference play clearly improved since the beginning, I'll be very happy.

19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,828
    There is absolutely no way I am giving up on these kids. Never.

20. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,915
    I am completely indifferent on the game ending dunk. I wouldn't argue it was classy, but I also didn't see it as some kind of intentional slap in the face. The kid simply had an unimpeded path to the basket and took advantage of the opportunity. I probably would have done the same thing.