Butler's Basketball Uniforms

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jul 5, 2021.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $632
    Good Evening, fine folks of the ButlerHoops board,

Tonight, Mrs. Hoss wanted to watch "Below Deck Mediterranean" on BRAVO (garbage), instead of The Bachelorette (quality television), meaning that A) I'll have to catch up on the DVR tomorrow, and B) I've had some down time, so I've been browsing the web.

Amongst other things, I got down a rabbit hole on past Butler uniforms, and also came across some fan-made concepts. I figured it would be interesting to see what the board's ideal Butler uniform looks like. And if you are the person who is thinking of commenting "WHO CARES WHAT THEY WEAR IT'S NOT A FASHION SHOW!!!1!!" save it - we're in the dog days of summer and there's nothing else to discuss.

Anyways - below are some old photos I came across

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And below are a few of the fan made concepts that I came across on the internet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been fairly happy with the rebrand that the University did a few years back. I was in favor of cleaning up the dog head logo (removing the circle). I think that the "BUTLER" wordmark is okay - although I don't think it works great on a basketball uniform or merchandise. Overall, I think that our basketball "identity" could be a bit stronger - below are some different directions I think we could go:

1: We could modernize the fit of the 2010-2011 Final Four uniforms, and just stick with it. These are the uniforms that 95% of the country visualizes when they think "Butler Basketball". They are not the most aesthetically pleasing, but if we own that look, make it ours, and stick with it for years it'll turn into an instantly recognizable brand.

2. Play into the "Hinkle/Retro/Throwback" vibe, and go completely minimalist. See above to the last concept or the photo with #52 going up for a layup. Think a 1950's look with a more modern fit. Use this Texas Tech look below as a template. I think it'd look classic in Hinkle.

[​IMG]

3. If we do keep a more "modern" look, we need to find some type of visual element that separates us. Our current Nike template is similar to many teams - most notably Virginia until they rebranded last year. To help give us a more uniquely "Butler" modern look, find a way to utilize the windows of Hinkle on the uniform, similar to the PK80 jerseys. I don't think they were executed well on those particular uniforms, but if done right, they could give us some striping that would be a unique look and something unique to Butler.

4. Decide if we are going to use blue or not. They were introduced 2 years back, looked great, were worn a couple times, then I don't think we saw them again last year. I usually am in favor of teams using strictly their school colors, but since there is already so much blue in the Big East, and given our past success and visibility wearing them, I'd be okay sticking to black most of the time. But, decide what to do with blue - perhaps they could be used similar to Notre Dame's green jerseys in football.

---------

What's your take? Do you have a favorite past Butler Uniform? Is there something you wish they'd do to help create a stronger brand?

Shimmy likes this.
  2. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,022
    I love these threads.

When they debuted the blue roadies a couple years back, I shared some thoughts with a bit of halfassed photoshop work.
    https://butlerhoops.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-blue-uniforms.2327/page-2#post-148949
    (And apparently the players I photoshopped were so mad at it that they both transferred.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really like the current uniforms except for the shoulder stripe; wish it was side only.
    - The stylized numbers coordinate well with the BUTLER typeface on the front.
    - Love the contrast piping at the neck and armholes.
    - The contrast waistband is a classic look that's trendy right now, so I'm for it.
    IMO it actually does a good job of sticking to a visual identity, even if it's pretty understated or unremarkable.

Hoss, I do like the idea of incorporating the "7 windows" Hinkle visual into the uniforms somehow, kind of like the way they did it back when the silhouette thing was standard among Nike uniforms.
    [​IMG]
    (FWIW I thought those weren't super outside of the Hinkle silhouette...bulldog head was a bit much, and the wordmark, name-on-back, and numbers weren't coordinated well.)

Butler's worn black on the road for so long now that it's transcended the "the black jersey trend is over" into "that's just what they do" so I'm good with keeping it.

My ideal:
    HOME: The white uniforms we have now minus the stupid contrast shoulder stripe
    HOME ALT: White Throwbacks (LaVall Jordan era)
    AWAY: The black uniforms we have now
    AWAY ALT: The blue uniforms we have now minus the stupid contrast shoulder stripe
    AWAY ALT 2: Black Throwbacks (LaVall Jordan era)

UDDawg and BigHoss like this.
  3. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $413
    Image1625676966.925009.jpg

This is a cool mockup that was posted a while ago. Would be a nice Lavall era alternate that’s been pondered.

On another note, does anyone know when Butler gets a new set of uniforms? Always fun to see something fresh at least IMO. I wish Butler had a couple alternates they could switch around to, I feel like it could be a good motivator to pull out for a big game every once in a while

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. BigHoss

Money:
    $632
    Great posts guys, thanks for contributing!

As far as the LaVall era uniforms go, my only gripe about them is that they just scream GONZAGA when I look at them. With their nickname also being the Bulldogs, and having a similar underdog history to Butler, I feel that it'd muddy the water a bit as far as identity goes.

[​IMG]

bmradio99 likes this.
  5. bmradio99

Money:
    $5,022
    That's a great point, so much so that I had to check and see if Gonzaga had "ZAGS" down the leg like Butler had "DOGS." (They do not.)
    [​IMG]
    That said, I'd prefer this as the once-or-twice-a season alternate. Agree it doesn't do much for branding.

6. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,280
    Totally with you on the shoulder stripe. Am really not a fan.

7. BigHoss

Money:
    $632
    I agree on the back shoulder stripe being removed - it really cleans up the whole look. If we’re sticking with these uniforms. That’s a good, easy fix.

8. Robinzine Crying

Robinzine Crying Well-Known Member

Money:
    $551
    Unrelated to uniforms, but I'd forgotten the McGlocklin twins (numbers 12 and 14 in the first photo), who took Franklin High School to two final fours in the 70s, ended up at Butler. Their uncle Jon played at IU and then won an NBA title on the Kareem/Oscar Bucks team in 1971.

TheDawgDub95 and ButlerProf like this.
  9. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $390
    Ya, that was my UG era O:). I knew them both. There’s Billy Lynch front and center along with plenty other great guys on that team

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Robinzine Crying likes this.
  10. Bernie44

Bernie44 Active Member

Money:
    $210
    Yep, Jon transferred after his Freshman year to the Naval Academy and Don stuck it out all 4 years. Both very tough competitors.

Robinzine Crying likes this.
  11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,632
    The LaVall era jersey’s have always been my favorite.

12. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,308
    Find out when Nike gives UK/UNC/Duke its new, trendy jersey. Then wait a season to 2 seasons later. Like the windows or bulldog in the background one...

[​IMG]
    Love consuming Big Hoss's fresh content.

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344
    Agree, having a Cornette & LJ throwback jersey might do well in the spirit shop.

Shimmy, BigHoss and bmradio99 like this.
  14. bmradio99

Money:
    $5,022
    A fun troll would be to wear 2010 throwbacks against Michigan State at Hinkle.

DawgPoundMac, jkcdawgs, bumba and 7 others like this.
  15. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,122
    We had the gray ones a few years back, that everyone trashed if you'll recall. I thought they were pretty awesome, but I think we had a couple bad games in them and everyone threw a fit.

ButlerProf likes this.
  16. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,122
  17. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,632
    I actually really like our all blue alternates. I wish we wore these more than the black ones. Though, I'd be cool with getting rid of the white on the back.

[​IMG]

bmradio99, NCJon, ButlerProf and 2 others like this.
  18. BigHoss

Money:
    $632
    I distinctly remember the Georgetown game this was from. We were ranked 11, came out flat and could never get over the hump. Not sure we've seen the grays since, which is fine with me.

They look like the white jerseys got mixed up in the wash with some dark clothes.

BUcheer and WestLoopDog like this.