Butler's Newest Bulldog: Campbell Donovan

Discussion in 'Articles' started by bd5, Apr 22, 2017.

By bd5 on Apr 22, 2017 at 3:34 PM
  1. bd5

bd5 Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $3,181
    Donovan_Instagram.jpg

Two days before the first live evaluation period of the 2017 spring and summer recruiting season, Butler welcomed its newest member to the Men's Basketball program. Campbell Donovan, a 6' 0" PG hailing from Bishop Dwenger High School in Fort Wayne, accepted a preferred walk-on spot while on a campus visit this past Thursday.

Donovan, who averaged 16.5 points and 3.5 assists this past season, shooting over 90% from the FT line (according to ncsasports.org), is no stranger to the Butler program.

His dad, Rick Donovan, played in 56 games for the Bulldogs between 1986 and 1990 - on teams featuring standouts Chad Tucker, Darren Fowlkes, Thad Matta, Darin Archbold, and Brett Etherington, whose son Austin also wore the Butler uniform recently.

In addition to his dad playing for the late Joe Sexson and current Athletic Director, Barry Collier, Campbell's sister and brother in-law were both cheerleaders at Butler between 2007-2011, including trips with the team to back-to-back National Championship game appearances.

"My childhood dream and goal was to play on Butler," Donovan tells ButlerHoops.com. "I have been on campus so much it just feels like a second home."

Although he had been receiving major interest from many Division III programs, particularly Depauw, Hanover, and Ohio Wesleyan; a recent conversation with the Butler coaching staff resulted in a scheduled visit and a preferred walk-on spot that was too good to pass up.

Although not overly athletic, Donovan is a proven point guard who handles the ball and can knock down the open shot. He looks to make others around him on the court better first, but has the ability to easily create open shots for himself or his teammates.

Recent contributions and successes of former Butler walk-on, Alex Barlow, provide a glimmer of what could be if given the right opportunity, but Donovan is focused on doing whatever will most benefit the program. "I want to make this team better in any way, shape, or form. Whatever Coach asks me to do I will do it with 100% effort." Donovan noted of his goals for next year.

Following his Senior year at Bishop Dwenger, Donovan was voted as a 1st Team All-Summit Athletic Conference selection, along with former and current Butler recruiting targets Malik Williams and Keion Brooks Jr.

He was also selected to the 2016-2017 IBCA/Subway “Supreme 15” All-State Honorable Mention list as well as a spot on the 2017 Winter Sport Academic All-State team (based on Student GPA, SAT and ACT Scores).

Donovan, who recently played on a fall league team with incoming freshman Cooper Neese, is ready to hit the hardwood with the rest of his new teammates.

"I am extremely excited to be a part of this incredible program and I am ready to give it my all." Donovan said, "I cannot wait until I run out of the tunnel for the first time, I think then it will really hit me that my dream has truly come true."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by bd5, Apr 22, 2017.