Can Sean make the NBA?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 7, 2020.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,743
    He’s been excellent this season. It’s a weak draft class, so maybe it’s more likely he’ll get signed as a UFA? I can see him carving out a spot as a 9th or 10th man on a roster.

Thoughts?

BulldogsFTW likes this.
  2. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,454
    Sean would have an good career in Europe, they love shooters.

3. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $367
    Interesting topic. I don't see him making it, but I'd be super happy if he did. I could definitely see him making a G-League Roster or playing in Europe.

4. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,852
    Yes - shooters do well in Europe, his size and frame are better suited to the play there - you can make a long career there if you're talented - ask Mike Green he's been playing over there since 2008 !

5. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $695
    I don't think he can, but that would probably be exactly what he needs to hear to make it happen. Sean has been proving a lot of us wrong.

Insane Dawg, Dogweed and DawgFan like this.
  6. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,743
    I’m sure he’d do well in Europe, but I think his perimeter defense and off the bounce shooting has improved enough for him to carve out 5-10 minutes on the right team. Jmo.

7. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $208
    Sean has upsides comparable to DiVincenzo as well as Kelan Martin. He's a better shooter than both and a better defender than Martin. I believe he has a chance to make it in the NBA.

Dogweed likes this.
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,183
    DiVencenzo athletically is superior to McD in every way. The biggest hurdle for McD in the NBA is unfortunately at 6'6 he lacks the athleticism to be a 3 and D guy. There's no question his shooting is NBA ready. But he can't guard the smaller quicker guards and he can't guard the athletic wings, so he's kind of stuck. He could definitely play in the G League but money wise he'd make a ton of money as a protypical Euro Wing spread sniper.

And today Martin is a better defender than McD is right now...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    ButlerHomer, fdr, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  9. JMCBigWayne

JMCBigWayne Active Member

Money:
    $166
    Let's assume Sean's senior season continues at the current rate. Who's senior season would you rather have, Kellen Dunham or Sean's? I would ask who's career would you rather have but Sean came in behind the 8 ball with his illness so I think KD had a better career start to finish than Sean.

10. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $695
    DiVencenzo had the highest vertical leap for the 2018 combine at 42".

I hate to compare him to anyone from Xavier, but I see him more as a JP Macura or Trevon Bluiett type player. Both of those players had some NBA run, so it's not crazy to think that Sean would have a chance. Macura was probably a better defender and Bluiett a better ball handler, but Sean is a better shooter.

znelson15 likes this.
  11. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,852
    He probably is a better defender now - the thing about KM is he really does improve with time - I assume he's working with talented coaches, and paying close attention, because every year he truly is an improved version of himself.

SFlaDawg likes this.
  12. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,121
    Good comparison. I solely thought of Sean as a G League or, most likely, top European league guy, but if those guys can do it, even for a little, it's not out of the question.

znelson15 likes this.
  13. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $148
    My gut instinct is no, but when I look at how Hayward totally transformed his body working with NBA strength and conditioning guys, I think there's a chance Sean could do the same and be on the end of the bench. There are a lot of parts of his game that would need to improve as well. I don't really see it, but I also didn't think that Macura would make it to the NBA.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,518
    I think the problem with most laymen's analyses of whether X college senior can play in the NBA is that they mostly focus on one side of the ball only. (This is a problem with HS recruiting rankings, too.)

Can Sean be a worthwhile offensive player for an NBA team? Yes, he probably can. He's athletic and tall enough to get three point shots up, especially running off screens, and he's a good enough shooter to make his 3P attempts a worthwhile possession.

But defense is a thing. And NBA wings are absurdly large and athletic humans. There's just not a place for him on defense. Kelan is more athletic and has 30 pounds on Sean, and he still is struggling to play NBA defense.

Examples off the top of my head:
    On a per-36-minute basis, Doug McDermott, arguably the best offensive college player of this generation, averages an efficient 16 points in the NBA. Why does he play only 20 minutes per game? There's no one for him to guard.
    One a per-36 basis, OG Anunoby averages a less efficient 13 ppg but averages 30 minutes played per game. Why? Because he can guard anybody.

15. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $563
    I think for players like Sean how big a run the the team has in March could make a difference in his getting a look by NBA teams.
    Then again I have no idea how NBA scouts make decisions, so my opinion may be totally wrong.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,118
    I realize this comment might start a ****storm I don’t intend to create... but I flipped to some random Bulls game during commercials of one of the bowl games about a week ago...

Basically all I saw were uncontested wide open threes being shot. Or drives down the lane for dunks where everyone just stood by to watch. I didn’t see a single play of defense the entire time. Literally nobody even cared about defense. Not sure why it’s even really a consideration.

That said, it was probably a total of 10 minutes of game action, and that’s the entirety of my NBA TV consumption this season, so...

Insane Dawg and ButlerNut like this.
  17. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,619
    That's 9:50 more than I saw...only because I watched the LeBron travel...that wasn't called.

[​IMG]

18. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Well-Known Member

Money:
    $367
    NBA fans will tell you that's a gather, not a travel... lol

Sidd Finch, znelson15 and Insane Dawg like this.
  19. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $262
    I can’t say what I know. But I can’t wait to watch it all play out.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. DawgFan

DawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $403
    If Sean can retain his # 1 (or even 2 or 3) offensive efficiency rating in the league, AND if the Dawgs can make it to the Final Four... then yes.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    SpartanDawgs likes this.