Can Sean make the NBA?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,295
    Can you imagine if he wasn’t being defended so tightly? Look at the tough in your face defense to the left of the lane.

2. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,923
    I like the NBA *ducks*

3. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $938
    I don't know usage statistics, but I would imagine Bluiett had more usage and did a lot more dribbling at Xavier than we have McD do here. Either way, I think their talent levels are pretty equivalent and that's not a bad thing. Bluiett got a two-way contract in the NBA. I think Sean has a higher upside than him just because of his work ethic and the progress that he's shown in his years at Butler.

chc3 likes this.
  4. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,727
    Sounds like Sean has been told scouts have been/will be watching:)

5. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    Most of our fans, including many by their own admission, don't even watch the NBA. How in the world would they know what it takes to make it in the NBA if they don't even watch it?

For example, someone asked why Sean couldn't be a "sniper" like JJ Redick. Watch a Pelicans game and see if Sean can hit the shots that JJ routinely hits. I promise you he doesn't only shoot wide open, spot-up 3s.

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,295
    How old is Redick? How old is Sean? How long has Redick been playing ? How long has Sean? Is this the incredible defense on him? Maybe it’s the pump fakes that caused the defender to go flying through the air. Sorry FDR not impressed with the D or lack thereof.

7. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $163
    As someone who watches the NBA, I'll say I think that it's very unlikely but not inconceivable that Sean gets a shot. However, those of you who think NBA teams don't play defense are just wrong. The defense in the NBA in general is so far better than in college it's ridiculous, and the top defensive teams are phenomenal.

8. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,592
    Which do you think is a bigger advantage: 23 year old, 5th year senior in college or 35 year old, 14 year vet in the NBA?

side note: the other day Vince Carter played in his 4th decade in the NBA, pretty cool accomplishment

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    troggy likes this.
  9. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Well-Known Member

Money:
    $319
    No he won't but he can carve out a nice career in Europe or Australia.

10. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,175
    Oh how I love this and sums up why as a basketball player myself In college and high school coach as well - I love college basketball

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,828
    Really? If you’re keeping a secret that scouts are looking at Sean, big woof! Hardly a thing that requires secrecy.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Bulldogs260

Bulldogs260 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,433
    Lol he did act like what he knows is gonna blow us away. I doubt it.
    I think Sean can be on a NBA roster I really do. I think it will help that butler is having a historical season as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,492
    This isn't the ABA. The collective bargaining agreement limits a players deferred compensation to no more than 25 percent of their salary for the season and that deferred compensation has to be designated for a particular season. For Golden State to have spent "the most money" with deferred compensation, they would have had to have every single player's deferred compensation maxed out, all 13 teams in front of them would have had to not use any deferred compensation, and they would've had a nearly $20 million hit toward the cap the following year.

In the 2014-15 season, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes were still under the terms of their rookie contracts and Steph Curry was still under the extension of his rookie contract. Golden State's highest paid players that season were David Lee, Andrew Bogut and Andre Igoudala.

That dynasty was built through great drafting and player development, and then supplemented with free agency when Durant joined them.

bwesson15, Shimmy, troggy and 2 others like this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,295
    My point is how do you compare a 35 year old to an 23 year old ? Of course Redick is better. Let’s revisit this when Sean is 35 and Redick is 47.

15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,045
    There’s a ridiculous lack of defense in that Redick video. One of the early clips... Redick gets the ball, dude stands off to the side, preventing the dibble back to the top of the key i guess???, and then lazily puts a hand toward JJ as he rises up for a 3. How about getting in front of him and putting a hand in his face. That’s defense.

That Redick clip does nothing to support the “NBA players play D” theory.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  16. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $763
    I don't think that Sean McDermott will play in the NBA. I'd love for this to become a future "cold take".

17. Woof

Woof Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,029
    Regardless of what happens, the fact that we're even having this conversation is a testament to the hard work that Sean's put in, as well as our staff's player improvement abilities. Could you imagine having this conversation a few years ago?! A lot of people had Sean written off the team, or at least relegated to the bench for four years before he signed his LOI.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,295
    But that defender is in the NBA because he’s a good defender. If Sean did that he’d be taken out of the game.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,295
    How does the Luxury Tax work? Does that go to Uncle Sam? Do all of the teams pay that Luxury Tax?

20. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $938
    What I like about Sean and the rest of this Butler team (and really all Butler teams) is that nobody looks like they are clearly playing to impress scouts. This team puts the team first and no individual player, it's The Butler Way. I was worried that Tucker might fall victim to that, but he's really letting the game come to him and has proven that he just wants to win. I think scouts will appreciate that more in the long run.

So many times I look at other teams and players are clearly trying to prove something to NBA scouts. For instance, Blackshear from Florida trying to prove that he can be a stretch five in the NBA. Those 5 or so three pointers that he shot may have won us that game. I also see it with Naji Marshall. Naji can get to the rim and score whenever he wants, but far too often he settles for a three. I think it's because he knows he won't make the league if he can't hit the three ball.

Tentozen and Sidd Finch like this.