Can Sean make the NBA?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by jkcdawgs, Jan 7, 2020.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,830
    The rules in the nba also make it significantly harder to play defense. You don’t have nearly as much help as you do in college and the offenses are more spread out.

That’s a lot of why it looks like better defenders are playing worse defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Shimmy, estar20dawg and Tentozen like this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,275
    You're probably right that the rules have something to do with it, but I think it's mostly just how good the players are. Think of the average high major college game, then think of the best player of the ten on the floor. The NBA has ten guys playing who are all better than him.

You can't possibly defend any of them with half the attention/detail/focus that you defend star players in college (star players who, again, mostly aren't as good as the worst starting NBA players).

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,830
    Yes, of course, but with defensive 3 seconds you can’t play help side nearly as easily in the NBA, so defenders have to be able to defend on an island.

When almost every single player can drive, be a playmaker and hit contested shots, AND you can’t shut down drives as effectively with your bigs, you need REALLY special defensive players to slow supreme offensive players.

4. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,611
    Is it still the case that teams aren't allowed to run Zone defense in the NBA?

5. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,007
    #PostsFrom2002

fdr and DawgsMD like this.
  6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,195
    They can play zone, but due to the defensive 3 seconds it's not really practical, I've seen Pop and the Spurs play some zone. The Raptors played some Box and 1 last year

7. readyletsgo

readyletsgo Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,611
    Lol, I honestly remember as a kid that rule coming in to play at some point, but I have no idea anymore, I don't watch the NBA.

8. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,007
    I'm just glad you laughed. The league started allowing zone in the 01-02 season after the game had basically become iso play after iso play - and frankly it wasn't particularly fun to watch. It took a lot longer for the iso play to fall out of favor, but now you mostly see it situationally, if at all, and the NBA is a lot more interesting in my opinion.

I still think of it as a man-to-man league and that's still the dominant defense for the reasons @estar20dawg outlined.

9. the missing link

the missing link Member

Money:
    $88
    The chance of Sean playing in the NBA is about as likely as Ricky Gervais being asked back next year to host the Golden Globes.

DawgsMD likes this.
  10. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $3,915
    This made me lol. He was hysterical though nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,691
    The Heat have played zone with some regularity this year and have the third best record in the NBA. The Wizards play quite a bit of zone but they also have the worst defense in the league.

estar20dawg likes this.
  12. FRENCH DAWG

FRENCH DAWG Well-Known Member

Money:
    $524
    I believe the rule was instituted to give some NBA teams a chance at stopping Shaq. He was so dominant in his prime that the only way for some teams to contain him was to play zone or hack-a-Shaq.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  13. the missing link

the missing link Member

Money:
    $88
    The announcers during the Providence game mentioned that Sean is majoring in Human Movement and Health Science Education. I guess this is a fancy way of saying Sean is a Kinesiology major.

14. harvesting

harvesting Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $285
    I’ve been meaning to ask you. What’s your problem with Christian David? And maybe the bigger question is what’s your problem in general? Are you challenged in some way that it makes you feel better about yourself? Your back handed compliments and stupid comments are hilarious.

15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,990
    Not going to lie - I thought it sounded like kinesiology, as well.

16. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,077
    Boltmann was on Dakich this afternoon. Said two or three teams reached out to him about Sean.

mwall787 likes this.
  17. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $526
    He would need to put on 20lbs and not lose a step. Probably impossible but who knows. Look at Gordon. Hayward is a much better athlete but if McDermott got to around his size, then he would have a chance

18. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,077
    McDermott shouldn’t add weight. Unless it’s 5lbs. He not the same height, and his athleticism is significantly lower than Hayward’s. They aren’t the same NBA-type-of-player.

NCJon likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,902
    Not an NBA aficionado but I would never bet against Sean. He may not be an elite athlete but he has elite determination.

Brett, Shimmy, 2xDawg and 1 other person like this.
  20. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $526
    If he cant add weight, then he cant play in the NBA. not sure what you mean when you say he shouldn't add weight, as it's impossible for him to defend one on one with his current frame.