Championship run Memories

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by cornette33, Apr 8, 2019.

1. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $842
    I know there has probably been a thread about this about the Title games with the game about to tip. What are your favorite memories of those runs? I miss it. Lol.

Finishing second is pretty damn good btw.

2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,513
    The buzz that engulfed Indy in 2010. Looking back on it, I think it rivaled or even exceeded the Super Bowl in 2012.

3. cornette33

Money:
    $842
    Stupidly, I didn't go to the game cause I wanted for my whole family to go but my dad had to work on that day. However, watching at home was still fun. The player intros gave me chills. Like wow we are really doing this!

Tentozen likes this.
  4. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,043
    It was something that I'll never forget, downtown was electric and the Ram was rocking Friday, Saturday, and Monday. Saturday night at the Crown Plaza after the
    Michigan State game was a lot of fun. Friday's noon practice was unforgettable, 30,000 people cheering for Butler. Something else unforgettable was Saturday night-
    Sunday morning at Hinkle when the team returned from Salt Lake City, several thousand people were there at 2:00 AM. Good Stuff.

5. BUBBALUM

BUBBALUM Member

Money:
    $87
    I was in the band in '10 and '11's runs and when the team came back from SLC, a bunch of the reporters and fans went to the bus which had the cheerleaders and band when it arrived back at Hinkle. When they realized that the team was not on the bus, they quickly went over to the other bus. After the Natl Championship game in '10, I met up with my parents and went to IHOP of all places. A few days later, I talked to Andrew Smith's mother (who was the History office's admin assistant while she worked on her Master's), and I found out that after the game he went out to play pickup ball a short while later in the dead of night.

In 2011, I spent halftime meeting George H.W. Bush. A better experience than the game.

NCJon and cornette33 like this.
  6. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $145
    Probably what absolutely hooked my kids ages 15 and 13 on Butler basketball at that time. Michigan State game with my son and Duke game with my daughter. What an atmosphere although up in Level 6. My son got to go to Duke game with his uncle.

cornette33 likes this.
  7. Denverdawg

Denverdawg Member

Money:
    $53
    Lots of memories but a few my wife and I discussed on Saturday. Living in Denver it was going to be really expensive to get to Indy for the Final Four in 2010. We did our research the day before to determine our most cost effective option and had the flight queued up for purchase in the second half of the KState game. I don’t recall the exact play but at some time in the last minute of the game, I finally felt comfortable and started pointing at my wife who had her laptop out yelling “book it, book it, book it!” Needless to say we got our flight and always laugh about “book it!”

We were in line behind Mark “the shark” Titus (Club Tril) when we were entering Lucas Oil for the Michigan State game, so we got to talk to him a little.

Then for the title game we were driving in from Plainfield where I grew up and Radio Now played “All I do is Win” dedicating it to Butler. That gave me chills and every time I hear that song it takes me back to what could have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cornette33 likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    My fondest memory was being in San Jose for the first round sitting with a friend that was a UTEP fan who got tickets and I had to sit in the UTEP section. I was in the middle of the section in my Butler blue jersey surrounded by orange. My friend and I made a pact that whoever lost would have to go home. UTEP was destroyed by Shelvin Mack and my friend flew back to El Paso. I had to go to the Butler hotel to buy a ticket and everyone wanted to know if I was the Butler fan in the sea of orange. Never thought that the Dawgs were going to the final four but they did and I was there.

cornette33 likes this.
  9. cornette33

Money:
    $842
    During those two runs when the games got tight, I would yell "we need a stop". Usually it worked. To this day my family still tells me to say it in tight GM's. Doesn't work as much with the current Butler defense. Of course.

10. tokobynMD

tokobynMD New Member

Money:
    $29
    Being a senior. Having campus be like a theme park with tourists all walking around. Being at the game with all my friends. Seeing that Hayward heave at the end hit the rim and bounce off. Some of the best memories I have. One day we'll win it all. If I still have a heart beat at that time I'll be there.

Sent from my Pixel using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    I won’t see a national championship. Butler ‘s chance is in the rear view mirror for me.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  12. Hinkle Cellar Dweller

Hinkle Cellar Dweller New Member

Money:
    $19
    I got married the day of the Pitt game in 2011 (The weekend was 2 years since we had met). Our reception was during the game. My best man is also a Butler alum and was getting updates on his phone. Eventually we started sneaking off to the bar area next to the room for the reception. At the end of the game my friend who was a bridesmaid physically dragged me back to the reception because I wanted to watch the end. I was able to see Matt Howard get fouled and make the winning free throw.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  13. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $574
    I was a freshman in college in 2010. I came home that weekend. The practice on Friday was surreal. I’ve been going to Butler games since I was old enough to walk. I had never seen so much Butler gear. Everywhere you turned there was someone in a butler shirt. I also saw Barry Collier outside Lucas Oil that Friday. I will swear for the rest of my life he was hammered. I yelled “Barry” and he let out some kind of inaudible shriek and all but hugged me.

I watched the Michigan State game from home. Strangely I wasn’t nervous at all. I knew Butler would win. I couldn’t have a car on campus so my parents were driving me back to college on Sunday. About 5 minutes in I knew I couldn’t leave. We got tickets for the Duke game that night.

I’ll never forget the feeling in that building. I still remember some terrible lifehouse song playing before the game. When I hear it, it takes me back to that moment. Goosebumps.

Hayward’s heave was in slow motion. You could’ve heard a pen drop. I knew it was going in. There’s no way it couldn’t. Until it clanked off the rim, I never doubted Butler would be national champions.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. WAJC77

WAJC77 New Member

Money:
    $11
    Only game I had seen in 09/10 was loss at UAB (LAST LOSS until the Final) so week before the Final 4 I was indecisive in Atlanta trying to decide if my 16 yr old son and I should try to go. Come Friday night I was pissed, figuring I had blown my chance....then a classmate from 77 (with some clout) calls and says he came across some V.P. or other administrator with 2 tickets to sell at face value... I said YES, I'll take 'em! Threw suitcases together, got up at dawn Saturday and drove 8 hours for a memorable weekend....we were on floor level behind the basket as Hayward's shot came hurtling toward us..OH MY. Hard to believe it's 9 years now.