Charles Minlend - 2020 Wing Grad Transfer (Louisville)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $17,524
    [align=center]Charles Minlend
    2015 Shooting Guard - 6'4" 200 lbs
    First Assembly Christian - Concord, NC
    AAU: PSB Select

[​IMG]

Rivals Profile

Offers: Toledo, Yale, Rice, Wofford, Robert Morris[/align]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,881
    Butler is in North Carolina looking at 2015 Charles Minlend at 6' 4" . Only offers are MM. If in NC probably looking at others.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,150
    I think I saw a Georgia offer in his profile. But we can beat them if we like him plus Holtmann's NC ties help. I'm intrigued by him.

4. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,881
    Yea from the video he looks physically ready and can get off the ground. He has been offered by Rice and Yale so academically there is no problem. But his video is a highlight video which can be misleading.

5. ThaddeusB

ThaddeusB Active Member

Money:
    $5,482
  6. curious

curious Member

Money:
    $8
    i would love this to be the next 2015 offer.

grades, hard worker, clear combo guard, size and length. athletic but that isn't his sole virtue, shot does not look fatally flawed

this is where i still think BU can butter their bread. underrated guys who will bring patience and a good attitude. i still see Van Zant as one of the best examples of the Butler Way working

would love to offer him and Caraher this trip

Corey Johnson might have been better, but this guy being able to play some point allows them to not spend a scholly on a grad student

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $15,881
    Don't know the level of competition he plays against but passing 1,500 points in less than two full seasons of varsity bball is impressive. With few offers I suspect he plays in a lower level class.

8. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,839
    Nice highlight tape. Minlend looks very quick and can take the ball to the rim with ease. With all the scholarships we have available he needs to be offered.

9. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $436
    Really like the kid based off that video. The article makes him seem like a great kid and Butler fit as well. It appears he played AAU ball with PSB Select, which is a team I have never heard of. I wonder if that is part of the reason he is (seemingly) underrecruited or what. In those videos he looks like someone who should definitely have better offers than the ones he has. Great size and athleticism and has decent shot and ball skills. This will be interesting to follow.

10. Blue three

Blue three Active Member

Money:
    $91
    His dad apparently played for St. John's and was(still is) a very respected player. His dad Was a really bright guy as well, pharmacy major while playing D1. Interesting that Lavin never looked the way of a legacy but then again they're stacked at the guard position.

I think the big knock on the kid is he goes to a really small school and hasn't been exposed to good competition in HS or AAU. I think it's worth the trip to see him play and we'll know more shortly. A lot more evaluation is needed before we extend a scholly. I don't count Yale as an offer either, that's an Ivy League grant.

11. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    We've got a 5th recruiter down in the SE part of the country. :)

Loved that video too. He looks bigger than 6'4. His wingspan looks freakishly long. He rose up numerous times to block some 3 pt shots. I loved his enthusiasm. He looks like he loves hoops. At times he looks slightly unpolished. Could be why his offer list is what it is. Hidden gem/late bloomer. We've thrived on that before. We have to get more speed/athleticism in the backcourt. Minlend can go. I liked what I saw.

Go Butler.

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,365
    RHoops Recruiting ‏@RHoopsRecruits · 16 minutes ago
    #RHoops has expressed interest in 2015 Concord First Assembly (NC) SG Charles Minlend, according to @m_shockley. Dad was St. John's forward.

Marcus Shockley @m_shockley · 28 minutes ago
    Charles Minlend (First Assembly)- has 12 D1 offers, interest from Rutgers, Col of Charleston, Butler. Game preview http://bit.ly/1uwki19

13. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,511
    We desperately need a combo guard type of player for next year's roster. I think either Minlend or Roosevelt Smart could fill that role.

14. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Tyler Hicks @THicksBH · 26m 26 minutes ago
    “@Coach_Rick57: 6'4 Sr. Charles Minlend stats
    28 points
    11-22 FGM-A
    5-7 3 PM-A
    2-3 FTM-A
    4 RBS
    4 TO
    2 BLKS
    2 St"
    Butler watching.

---------

If Minlend is trying to impress. It is working. Stat sheet stuffer.

15. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Langston Wertz Jr. ‏@langstonwertzjr 42m42 minutes ago
    Charles Minlend @CminlendJr w/32 (does he ever get less than 30?) in a 64-59 loss at @GastonDay_Hoops tonight

16. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    Justin Byerly ‏@Justinbyerly 9h9 hours ago
    Toledo University has recently offered 2015 SG Charles Minlend of Concord First Assembly (NC).

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,127
    This seems like the kind of player we should take a chance on. We are desperately in need of a long, athletic combo.

Even if he's not a particularly efficient offensive player (would be nice to find some shooting %s), it appears from the he has the athleticism and motor to eventually be a big asset on defense and on the glass.

(And you've got to love that he is a smart kid who appears to have quite a passion for the game!)

18. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,070
    From the limited footage I saw, he reminds me of remy abell... We could use a remy abell, especially next year when we may have defensive deficiencies in our guards.

19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,887
    I was curious why Davidson doesn't appear to be a factor here, since he's right in their backyard and fits their profile to a T.

Did a little digging and discovered that his uncle, Ray Minlend, played for Davidson for a couple of years and then transferred to St. Francis. When he transferred, Davidson refused to release him from his scholarship so he had to pay is own way the first year. That certainly could explain Davidson being a non-factor.

I also learned that Ray Minlend was the second leading scorer in the country his senior year, just ahead of Wally Szczerbiak trailing only Alvin Young of Niagra. Thought that was an interesting bit of useless trivia, anyway.

20. SchlabbaDawg

SchlabbaDawg Active Member

Money:
    $3,144
    So this kid's dad played during the same period as Wally World? Damn, just made me feel old.