Chas Kelley - 2022 Point Guard (Boston College)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Albick, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,240
    I can confirm myself both that it is an official visit and the dates for Butler. Hoopgate posted that one, as well as the BC and DePaul ones (which have been confirmed by Chas Instagram.) We had a difficult time scheduling an interview earlier this month, but we have already scheduled a chat for after his visit. I'll have that piece for Labor Day weekend then.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,383
    My number one want for sure. Glad to see he's getting on campus.

3. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $727
    I think we do a great job of talking ourselves into our recruits being better than what they really are.

Reality is, the other teams after this guy are: Boston College, Ohio, Rutgers, DePaul and George Mason - “meh” at best. Sure there are some Kamar Baldwin situations every now and then, but relying on 3 star “diamond in the rough” guys is not a sustainable strategy.

I was hopeful that in Year 5, we’d be competing with some higher profile schools for guys on a consistent basis - and actually getting some of them.

If this is LaVall’s recruiting “ceiling” I think we may be in some trouble.

bmradio99 and dippper61 like this.
  4. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $971
    Yeah I’m in agreement here. It’s also salt in the wound when IU gets their 2nd top 30 guard in under 6 months with coach Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,358
    Wilson? You mean Woodson?

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,497
    I think the recruiting profile that we have been seeing is more realistic to Butler's profile as a University. We don't have the resources to simply spend our way out of these "problems".

I don't disagree that simply recruiting the guys that Butler has is going to consistently lead to top tier success, because it won't. However, until Jordan has the consistent success on the court that makes him coveted, yet somehow still unattainable by bigger programs, or unless someone closely tied to Butler Basketball has millions to pour into the budget every year, this is our reality.

Having said that, I still think Jordan has kept Butler in a relatively decent place given the resources at his disposal, and in terms of a human being, you can't ask for a much better representative for the school. I just continue to hope that his coaching ability improves so that he can start out-performing the budget he's being given.

7. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,240
    This.

It's certainly reasonable to want more (every fan does want five-stars) but the expectation of such needs to also be met with a dose of reality when it comes to the actual possibilities under the current circumstances. As far as Kelley goes, he is a big guard that creates steadily and is highly-regarded as a great kid that would fit the culture. There are lots of targets/offers that I don't like as much as others - I like this one a lot as a potential fit.

2xDawg and BUcheer like this.
  8. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $373
    I do agree with the sentiment - Better talent is needed to compete consistently.

Still there use to be a time when this board would've salivated over having a 6'5" point guard (although I've seen others list him as a shooting guard.) I don't know if this guy will be good, nothing great jumps out about him, but I at least like the fact that everyone Butler is going after is long and somewhat athletic. Those are not bad traits to start with, especially if you advertise yourself as a program that's big on player development. For now, I'll gladly take the culture fit over the top notch talent.

2xDawg likes this.
  9. Dawg Guy

Dawg Guy Active Member

Money:
    $459
    lets be realistic. We need to recruit with the likes of Providence, Xavier, Marquette before we are bitter about not recruiting at IUs level

bumba, znelson15, Tentozen and 2 others like this.
  10. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,523
    Maybe a topic for a Hark's Bark, but I hear about us having budgetary constraints or other constraints that limit our ability to recruit, but I don't have great clarity on exactly how that translates. I hear facilities but I don't know hownour facilities compare to other places. Is our practice facility or our workout facility lacking (how much difference can there actually be that makes an actual difference in how well you play or develop). Are we now at a point where we are receiving a full share of payments from the Big East? Do we divert funds from athletics to support the academic institution at a level that is different from our competitors? I know culture and being a student athlete is different at Butler than other places, but examples (hypotheticals, of course) as to how this effects a recruits decision or our decision about a recruit would be insightful.

Food for thought as to a potential topic of interest (at least for me). Happy to hear others chime in with thoughts, insights and examples as well. If it should be in the recruiting thread or another thread please help the technologically inept...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

tlp63 and Daddysmack like this.
  11. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $971
    No doubt, but you still hate to see it

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bmradio99, 2xDawg and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  12. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $480
    I really like the upside of Kelly and some of the other guys Butler is in on right now. That said people are right about Butler needing to land higher ranked guys in order to be more relevant. Lavall is a good guy who players like and has shown he can develop but he has 2 things working against him. He hasn’t gotten anyone drafted and the other is that Butler hasn’t consistently won since he took over. If those 2 things don’t change then this recruiting level won’t change. Lavall has been good at identifying diamonds in the rough before they blow up nationally but that typically only lasts so long and isn’t sustainable if you’re trying to win your conference and make waves in the tournament.

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    As much as we would hope for higher rated commits, the formula for BU's success over the past couple of decades has remained basically unchanged. The collective ego of this message board has out grown BU's capabilities both financially and historically. Keeping realistic expectations, unless BU changes fundamentally on how they conduct recruiting, should be the perspective.

Shimmy and 2xDawg like this.
  14. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $480
    If that’s the mindset that people have then Butler should probably leave the Big East. You should never settle even if you are at a financial disadvantage. As a University you need to find other advantages to sell to recruits.

willisbrown likes this.
  15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    No one is suggesting BU should change it's aspirations, but the fact remains that BU is confined by certain parameters. They are real and still exist. Coaching turnover is not an answer and neither is leaving the BE. Finding solutions will not be easy. Any feasible suggestions are most welcome though.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    2xDawg likes this.
  16. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,330
    Uh...there's more than basketball to the Big East. Even if we were DePaul, staying in the Big East is much more valuable than dropping down to the A-10 or whatever. The move made sense financially, athletically, and academically. I mean we are in the same conference as Georgetown. Academically, that means something.

BU Fan in Illinois, #60 and NCJon like this.
  17. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,523
  18. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $5,240
    It really has been gorgeous. Stepping outside this morning made me miss those walks to syllabus week classes. Fingers are definitely crossed in this recruitment; I really like what Kelley could bring to the Dawgs right away and long-term. One of my favorite prospects I've watched linked to Butler this summer.

TheDawgDub95, DawgPoundMac and 2xDawg like this.
  19. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,560
    Very pretty day on campus—Hinkle’s never looked better;)

mwall787 likes this.
  20. TheDawgDub95

Money:
    $2,523
    His video on the Rivals site is pretty nice. Especially at about the 15 second and 25 second marks.

Seems to be able to get to where he wants with the ball and looks like he might be able to make teams pay for pressuring him.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app