Chas Kelley - 2022 Point Guard (Boston College)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Albick, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,240
  2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,347
    Peep the hashtag, oof.

Hinkle likes this.
  3. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,522
    Yeah, that hashtag is ironic?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

UDDawg likes this.
  4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,456
    Lost to a god awful, irrelevant program bc of 2 words: Practice Facility

[​IMG]

Hinkle and jkcdawgs like this.
  5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,560
    Does he mention a practice facility?

6. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $662
    My only hope is that he wasn't a high priority target. Otherwise losing to a completely dogshit, irrelevant program like BC is a major concern

7. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,073
    Looks like BC Twitter's been using that hashtag since Earl Grant arrived in March, but yeah, irony.

Tentozen and UDDawg like this.
  8. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    I am disappointed that Kelley did not choose Butler, but I'm not sure that I would call it an embarrassment that he chose BC. Donald Hand was a much higher rated recruit than Kelley and he chose BC over NC State, Clemson and Maryland. Should those schools be embarrassed as well.

2xDawg likes this.
  9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,522
    What can someone do in a BC type practice facility (I know it's new) that they can't do in ours? Serious question.

Did they improve the floors or are they still hard (like no space between the wood and underlying concrete)?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    It was shiny and new...

11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,383
    He was the top priority.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,253
    Like others, I can’t help but find BC to be an odd choice from an outsider’s perspective for any recruit with other high major options. The list of high major programs that have less appeal to me personally than BC is probably only 2 or 3 schools long.

Their staff had to have done an incredible job creating a relationship. You can’t sell this school or the program *that* well. The kid has to just love that staff. All I can think of.

As fans, we always seem to overestimate the importance in recruits’ minds of programs’ past success/likelihood of future success and underestimate the sway of personal relationships.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    Obviously Kelly was the greatest player ever not to choose BU.

14. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,974
    disconcerting, perplexing, demoralizing, disturbing

15. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,386
    For those demanding a shiny & new practice facility....please contact Graham Honaker - 317-940-8732 or Ken LaRose - 317-940-9026. I am sure they will be happy to accept your 8-figure donation to start the project.

bumba, seadawg, ButlerProf and 2 others like this.
  16. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,330
    I wasn't a D1 level athlete, but I attended dinners and the such for academic recruitment and had a really good relationship with a professor at another school. They were probably surprised when I enrolled at Butler, I even called (at my mothers request) to tell them I wasn't attending. I just had a better feel for BU than I did the other school - even if the program I entered into wasn't on the same level. No big deal, to each their own. I hope he succeeds.

17. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,289
    Kenny LaRose is a great dude. Really like him a lot.

18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,149
    Also, like, we haven’t had any special level of success in the time window that would be meaningful to this kid. He was 6 or 7 when we were in the final four. He probably doesn’t remember it. He was 12 or 13 when we went to the sweet 16 last.

Nothing we’ve done in the past is going to mean much to anyone we recruit from here going forwards, because it’s likely before they paid much attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

19. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $686
    Butlerguy 3 logical thought isn’t allowed on this BOARD. In an Animal House response when we miss on a Recruit, it is not just an indictment on the Head Coach, but includes indictments on The Athletic Director, The President of the Butler University, The Big East Conference and The NCAA.

I simply can’t allow you to present a logical thought on this catastrophe of epic proportion.

PS for people that don’t get sarcasm thank you first Coach Collier and the rest of the coaches that have come after him since 2000 to get our program in the Top 40 and keep it there for the majority of 25 years.

Thank you to the presidents of Butler University that have allowed our Athletic Directors to cultivate the basketball program to National Importance. It wasn’t that way from 1980-1984 when we likely split or went 5-3 in the 8 games against Indiana Central/U of Indy during that 4 year stretch!!!

PS-Good luck Chas Throughout your career except on any night that you play Butler.

knobcreekfan, 2xDawg, DawgsMD and 2 others like this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,253
    I think that goes too far. We overrate past success importance to recruits, but I do think it’s silly to say that being a top 25 team more years than not is no different to a recruit than having a sub-100 teams for a decade straight.

There’s a big difference between not making final fours and being the worst high major program in his lifetime. But relationships can make up for it/cause a commitment in spite of it.