Chas Kelley - 2022 Point Guard (Boston College)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Albick, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,352
    I think it may be as straightforward as BC was able to guarantee him minutes/role much sooner than Butler could. With Chuck, Tate, Simas, and Taylor....we have dudes who can play the 1 and 2.

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,149
    I for sure agree with you. My point is that making back to back final fours *should* get you in the door with a lot of recruits that you may not otherwise get an audience with.

We no longer have that going for us. Now we’re just a small school that has a competitive basketball team. There’s no real reason for a player we’re recruiting now to look us too differently from a providence type program.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    Need we forget, Thomas played PG for his entire career in HS for a highly respected program.

2xDawg and estar20dawg like this.
  4. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,785
    I knew the excuses would come out, but this is not acceptable to lose your top priority recruit to BC. Let's face other than an early (perhaps too early) commit from Connor, this recruiting period has been one giant whiff. Swing and miss after swing and miss. You have to wonder if there are other factors at play, but the bottom line is that after this season, our only true PG we have is Tate, coming off an ACL. Sure we have players that can spell the PG, but there's no sugar-coating this one. This loss stings and despite all of the excuses, Chas is precisely the type of recruit that Butler needs to consistently get to remain relevant in the BE.

At this point, I'm not sure they have a plan moving forward with 22. I guess turn the focus to Kebba and hope that we're not going to be hurting at the 1 and down low for the foreseeable future. Everyone can defend LJ all they want, and sure he's a nice guy, but these recruiting losses are going to catch up with the program and then it will be too late. Dude needs to start closing some of these recruitments.

5. seadawg

Money:
    $9,369
    The answer is for BU to end it's basketball program ASAP.

6. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,240
  7. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    This from 247Sports & FanNation on why Kelley chose BC:

Boston College has landed their second commit in the class of 2022 in 6-foot-5 point guard Chas Kelley. Kelley chose the Eagles over Depaul, George Mason, and Butler. This decision comes shortly after his official visit which played a role in his commitment.

“I chose Boston College because I've been talking with them since June and have been working on building a relationship with all the coaches and we got real close,” he said. “They did a good job with me and my family and now they feel like my family away from home. As far as the team this is coach Grant's first year and he wants to change the program around and wants program changing guys and I feel like I'm the right fit for it.”

“ My visit helped in my decision because I have to be there physically and mentally so being able to go there on campus seeing the students and athletes was big,” he continued. “From hockey, to girls basketball, to football, the AD, it's all very family oriented. Also another reason I chose the school was because the city of Boston gives a chance to network and build relationships with all the colleges in the city. It also gives the chance for the 4 year plan to become the 40 year plan.”

With Kelley and Hand being the two guard recruits in the class of 2022, Kelley looks to play solely the one and make an impact from day one.

“They want me to come in and be an impact early guard,” he said. “They want to use me off a lot of ball screens and play fast. Coach Grant has a defensive mentality which is my mentality as well.”

"Boston College is the perfect fit for what I was looking for in a school and a program.

Earl Grant is a defensive minded coach who establishes great relationships with his players. I felt that from day one and it was confirmed once I got on campus. The opportunity to compete at the highest level (ACC) and help re-build a program is exciting and a challenge that I’m up for.

I am bringing versatility at the guard spot through my offensive IQ and my defensive mentality. Boston College will help satisfy, my four year plan as well as my 40 year plan. I’m ALL IN!!!"

As I said previously, I am disappointed that Chas didn't choose Butler. It appears that he wanted to make an impact from day one and that may be why he chose BC. He is currently unranked, so I'm not sure why we would be expecting him to leapfrog Myles, Chuck, and potentially Jayden, Pierce and Simas in the rotation.

znelson15 likes this.
  8. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Active Member

Money:
    $429
    I’m mostly agreeing with you and Hinkle. Factors in our favor now should include the Big East (versus Horizon & A10), MSG, FoxS1, invitational tournaments and such. Yet, that doesn’t explain missing this recruit to BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,523
    I think this is just as plausible as anything else. By the time he would get here, Myles, Chuck, Jayden and Simas would all have UP TO 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,149
    I’m literally zero percent concerned about missing a recruit to BC in a one time occurrence.

It’s an acc school in a big city with great academics. If he just liked it better, he just liked it better. In sample size of n=1, that can happen and mean absolutely nothing. Until I have reason to believe otherwise, I’ll believe it means absolutely nothing.

I come from a more general position of “we need to give kids a big reason to come to Butler, because our (assumed) biggest selling point no longer matters to these kids.

We all love Butler: it’s clear to us why Butler should be considered a special place to a recruit. But that sentiment is going to exist for every fan base about their school. I’m not sure that the Butler admin is equipped or capable of doing what is necessary to participate in a “keeping up with the Jones’” when we don’t have our historic success to fall back on.

mwall787 likes this.
  11. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    It would have been nice if some of our potential recruits could have been present for the Hall of Fame induction for the 2010 & 2011 teams. They could have seen Brad, Gordon, Shelvin and Ronald who all have some type of NBA experience, whether it be as a player or a coach. Not saying that it would sway anyone way or the other but they could have heard all of them talk about their positive experiences at Butler and the Butler Way.

NCJon and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  12. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $373

The sad thing is I believe Butler still does have a big selling point... The problem is that it's benefited mostly the coaches in the last decade. Indeed it is hard "keeping up with the Jones" when everytime we gain some traction and have a string of success, we lose our head coach to someone else. Think of all the promising recruits in the past that we've lost because of that.

Unfortunately, in Butler's case, historic success has come at a price.

13. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,443
    The decision came down to playing right away.

Chas skill set right now was not going tog eft him playing time right away at butler and that says a lot about the recruits we have now.

Not worried at all about this one

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg, seadawg and Danville Bulldog like this.
  14. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,420
    I would be fine with Harris at point. He did just fine there last season.

15. seadawg

Money:
    $9,369
    It's doubtful anyone foreseen Harris emerging as the point producer he was.

16. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,785
    Fine is Kamar playing PG in his last season. Sure, it was acceptable, but not ideal. The same for Thomas as someone mentioned above. I think you'd rather those guys play off the ball more. After this season, we'll have to rely heavily on Tate and his repaired knee. He's a smaller player that's going to get beaten up in the BE. So, I'd feel a lot better with another true PG in the fold in '22, but I think our options are running out.

17. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,240
    Regardless of whether or not Kelley committed, a transfer guard was going to be a priority next spring. This decision doesn't change that, just makes it a more prevalent priority. An upperclassman transfer guard is (almost) always an upgrade over a true freshman. They don't satisfy the long-term need that Kelley could have, but expect the staff to land at least one transfer guard in the offseason. There are guards available that Butler could land in the 2022 class, but with the nature of college hoops right now, only take freshmen that you "love" - you can fill in the gaps with transfers and Butler has been able to do that in the past, as I stated in my most recent article on the matter. There are already some good-to-great backcourt pieces on the 2022-23 roster (in my opinion), and it wouldn't be a hard sell to land a grad transfer to be that last piece. It's much easier to promise an already-experienced player minutes in a backcourt that will bring back juniors Harris and Tate than it would be an unproven freshman.

The transfer portal is a necessary part of success for a modern CBB program, especially one not landing five-star prospects.

seadawg, butlerguy03, Tiles52 and 5 others like this.