Chicago Cubs: In Theo We Trust

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by the_speakers_lab, Mar 27, 2015.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,368
    This is our year!!!!! We may not have a stadium ready, $600,000 worth of rooftop royalties, or our ROY player for the first 2 weeks, but WE GOT THIS!!!!!

2. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,443
  3. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $88
    I fully endorse this thread. Kris Bryant is gonna smash the HR Record just cuz #smallsamplesizeforthewin

4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $700
    Well, I don't know if this year will be the year, but everything is pointing forward. The system is stacked the roster is good enough to compete, and once Bryant is up, there will be thunder all up an down the lineup. My only question at this point is starting pitching. Lester is iffy for opening night, Hendricks still has tons to prove and Hammel is ok. Arrieta is a boss though. The team needs one more arm, and I'm convinced at that point they can win the central. Also, Mike Olt looks like he's about to actually reach his potential. Awesome.

By the way, for cub fans, bleacher nation and sons of ivy are great sites to talk, listen, learn and have circle jerks about the cubs. All have great people and are really enjoyable.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $634
    They might be 0-9 by the time Bryant comes up, but it's best to give the other teams a head start.

6. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,009
    I will actually be a season ticket holder for the 1st time this year. Only took 8 years on the waiting list. Perfect timing though. The years they make the playoffs that will be a gold mine for me.

7. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    Where did you get your seats? My brother lives on Addison and I'm up there all the time for games. It's an easy hop by train or plane from the M and although the last few years have been annoying, you're right, you hit the lotto getting the tickets now. This thing is about to pop off.

8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,009
    Season tickets are in the bleachers. It's nice because I will get early access so I can basically be in the front few rows every time. I also loaded up on other tickets during the season ticket holder presale. Bought tickets to all the Cardinals games, White Sox games, July 4th, etc. I ended up investing a ton of money in tickets to resale this year. So far I've sold about 20% of what I've purchased and am currently at just a just under 30% return on investment. That's going to drop a lot by the time I've sold all the regular season games I don't plan on going to (which won't be that many, since it's a decent drive from Indy just for a game), but still, I'm happy with it so far. I'm fantasizing about how much I could bring in if Wrigley could host a few World Series games. That would be a tough decision, trying to decide between going to the game for ticket price or cashing it in for a huge payday.

9. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    Cool, I'll holler at you when up that way. And yes, this year especially, you'll make a big return on anything you are selling.

I think the roster is set pretty much at this point and from what I can tell, they are rolling with Baez (mistake IMO). So the only questions for me are these: Will Lake or Szczur make the opening day roster? And, will they carry 5 righties and two lefties in the bullpen? If so, who will be the other lefty than Phil Coke? I believe the lineup is set and will look like this:

Fowler, Castro, Rizzo, Soler, Montero, Olt, Baez, Coghlan...bench will be Alcantara, Szczur, Ross, Castillo and LaStella.

Somewhere along the line they will deal Castillo and when Denorfia is healthy he'll be added. Plus, look for Bryant around the middle-end of April.

Edit-they're doing what I want. Baez cut, sent to AAA.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    Well, it's almost time. Here's tonight:

#Cubs lineup vs #Cardinals 4/5 (7:05 CT): Fowler CF, Soler RF, Rizzo 1B, Castro SS, Coghlan LF, Olt 3B, Ross C, Lester P, La Stella 2B

Let's get it!

11. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $3,368
    The road toward immortality begins tonight

12. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,616
    No home opener win since 1996 stays intact. Cubs didn't look like a major league team Sunday night. And, as willis said, Lester was not ready........although if they didn't strand 13 RISP then he would have gotten a no decision. I think this team will struggle at the plate until warm weather/Bryant arrives.

13. Staxawax

Money:
    $9,616
    Go away. We know what the past looks like. The Red Sox were pretty much in the same boat until Epstein arrived. Now we have him AND Madden.

14. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    The only positive one can take away from last night was that Lester's velocity was pretty much there...he just wasn't ready for a game yet. His control was a little worse than we're used to seeing. That will come around in time but it may not have been the worst thing to flip to the 4 or 5 spot in the rotation or even DL him. With all the off days and injuries, rotations work themselves out and he would have been fine if he was pushed a little and they would have opted with Arrieta last night.

Other than that it was ugly and about as Cub as a game gets...0-13 RISP, defensive fumbles and bumbles, and some silly strikeouts. Get it out of the system and hopefully they look much better come Tuesday night.

15. Staxawax

Money:
    $9,616
    Agreed. I also want to point out the absurdity of the strike zone, which varies from umpire to umpire. Pitchers like Wainwright thrive on keeping it just off the plate, and when the umpire calls strikes that are 6-8 inches off, it just helps him more. The umpire was consistent for both teams, but I think within the next 5-7 years the electronic strike zone will be a reality. (and yes, I was severely criticized when I brought the idea up on the old yuku board)

16. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $3,368
    Random oddities that I picked up from last night:

I knew Lester had a terrible pickoff move and never threw over but I didn't realize he physically cannot throw the ball unless it's a pitch
    The fact that Ross nailed someone and should've nailed another baserunner is incredible considering Lester can't hold ppl on
    Sparkle still is way too non-chalant in the field
    The other guys (Mendy, La Stella, Cogs, Fowler) all had their moments and looked solid
    Olt didn't help his cause
    I will 100% take that bullpen performance all season
    As soon as they said in the pregame, "Soler is the best defensive RF since the Hawk roamed Wrigley" I knew he was ****ed. Plus night games aren't good for Soler power
    #LetsGo

17. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,195
    It's baseball. Trying to make anything out of one game out of 162 is ridiculous. I never understood that. I like baseball, grew up in a MLB town, but I just never understood the weight some people give to each game.

But hey, what do I know? Go Cubs!

18. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $634
    I'd be more worried about having to pee in a souvenir cup going forward than the on-the-field issues from last night. Definitely going to hold off on heading out to Wrigley until later on in the summer once they have all the kinks worked out. Frankly, I think they should have just played at the Cell or Milwaukee this year. Then they could have sped up the renovation schedule and avoided these issues for fans that did show up. But of course, then they'd be missing out on game day revenues from the stadium and the rooftops the Cubs now own, which I'm sure is more important to them than how they treat the fans, especially given that the Ricketts had to sell off some of their stock in the offseason to help pay for the renovation and debt that they took on to purchase the Cubs in the first place.

19. willisbrown

Money:
    $700
    Yeah the stadium looked *better* than I expected, but still, it's nowhere near ready for major league baseball. However, just saying they should have played here or there is so much easier said than done and in most cases, I tell that idea to go f a mule. BUUUUUUUUUUT, this year I could have gotten behind it. You can't renovate something like Wrigley in one offseason, regardless of weather. Considering the weather these last few months-not a chance in hell. I would guess that Milwaukee or US Cell would have split the gates, but, you'd have one **** of a scheduling snafu trying to pull that off. I was ticketed to last night's game and changed my mind a couple weeks ago. Glad I did.

The Cubs will work it out on the field. Last night looked like a new team that was nervous as hell, playing a solid, experienced team that bright lights don't touch. That will get better and I very much trust in the braintrust/manager. But it is a need to really temper expectations. I was almost pukey I was so hype for last night...mistake. It ain't going to come together this quickly...more so next year or 2017 even is when playoff expectations can really be real.

And, before any of you come at me with the "but but but, Kris Bryant" argument...tread lightly. He'll very much struggle initially. He has enormous power but also has a tendency to strike out...a ton and isn't quite a good glove in the field. He'll provide excitement, but be careful how much weight you put into him.

Honestly, Addison Russell is the most major league ready player in the system. He's brilliant defensively and has a great hit tool. And...is only 20....maybe just turned 21. He could come to Wrigley tomorrow, start at SS or 2B and be awesome. But, service time and all of that.

20. bobbu64

bobbu64 Member

Money:
    $58
    The world ends tonight , or maybe tomorrow night, when basketball is over. This week-end we have to endure the sanctimonious Masters, but at least Clifford Roberts is no longer there. I live in the Philadelphia area and for the first time I will be able to say "no" when someone asks me if I want to go to a game--I used to have pangs of conscience when I would try to opt out going to a game--no longer. Opening Day for the Phillies and the playing of the Masters border on being non-events in my household-----at 79 i don't really have to give a ****!!!