Chicago Cubs: In Theo We Trust

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by the_speakers_lab, Mar 27, 2015.

1. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,075
    The Cubs just played Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,790
    The cubs have no pitching, at all. They will get buried in the national league with no arms, and they literally have none.

3. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,248
    And they committed 6 errors tonight. In, uh, Atlanta.

4. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,075
    I was referencing that like our game against Florida, the wheels fell off tonight.

5. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,790
    Unless there is an upgrade in arms and the offense scores 6-7 runs a game, the cubs won't finish above .500. Theo and co had a horrid offseason and the results are now showing as ugly as many fans feared. They did nothing to help out a fading team, and, well, looks like that "window" is closing rather rapidly.

6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,582

Interesting story about The Hawk.

7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,752
  8. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Active Member

Money:
    $253
    Ugh, that's gut wrenching.
    The man is a legend, he delivered what he promised.

Add this to the list of "WTF, 2020"

9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $478
    I'm appreciative of the era of expected playoff baseball and the 2016 World Series. It is time though, he's great at building teams, but has not been as successful at maintaining a high level as others. Minor league system needs a complete rebuild and several core players either need traded (if you can even get anything for them) or just let their contracts expire and bid them adieu. None of them should ever buy a meal in Chicago again though.

Staxawax likes this.
  10. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,790
    Yeah...I agree it was time. Promoting Jed to be the company yes man jellyfish will give Ricketts cover as the cubs will start stripping down and sucking so Ricketts can save money as he's crying poor. Then in a couple years he'll can Jed and bring in a bigger/splashier name as he can blame the awful teams on Jed.

The problem with selling now though is what ID said...what can you get for these guys? All of "big" names are trending into turd territory and trade values are as low as they've ever been. You're just not going to get a package back for them worth crap. Happ and Contreras have value to a point...Maybe Baez too with his defense.

Either way look for an attempt at a tank mode and the focus to shift more towards the minor leagues to try and get in more talent and develop. An infusion it needs, desperately.

WestLoopDog likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,075
    I don’t think you’re wrong on player value to other teams, but I just don’t see a ton of value to tanking when you can’t get anything for your assets. With financial losses due to covid covid prospects are going to be worth even more than before and baseball isn’t like football where you can rank twice in a row, hit on a couple picks and be contenders again. It takes organizational retooling and the advantages to being bad just aren’t *that* great.

That being said, I’m not quite sure where you turn at this point with a front office that won’t spend.

12. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,790
    I don't think I trust this FO to spend even if they could. But yeah I don't see much of an attempt to spend and I think that and the run really being over is why Theo exited stage left. I can't imagine the revenue someone like the cubs lost this season and they were crying poor before that.

If I had to guess, they'll give the appearance of "one last run" with the core in the hopes a couple play well enough to gain back some value then they'll dump them. And tanking in baseball is doable IF you make good deals...what Theo did in 2012, 2013 and 2014 was strong because he used the assets he had to bring in an infusion of players that weren't coming from the ground up, but were going to be ready within a year or so. I think the right thing to do is to move away from this core and try to gain some assets but...you'd be trading them at their lowest (Bryant, Schwarber especially)...there is no right answer. Another reason Theo got ghost...he knows this next year is going to pain an ugly picture.

13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $5,075
    It was easier to get prospects in those years than it is now. No way Cashner nets a Rizzo anymore. Unlikely you get Arrieta for Feldman, though that is possible. Addison Russell isn’t going to be the return from a season and a half of Jeff Samardzija. Cheap talent is more valuable now than it has ever been.

14. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,267
    I think the disappointment of 1st year revenue from the new Marquee Network may have a little to do with tightening the spending belt. A lot of Chicagoins were left out of watching games because they couldn’t come to agreement with Comcast Chicago. Can’t imagine not being able to watch your hometown team after a lifetime (in TV years) of seeing them every day.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. willisbrown

Money:
    $9,790
    The cubs have signaled they are selling off anything they can. Welcome to the new rebuild.