Chicago Cubs: In Theo We Trust

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by the_speakers_lab, Mar 27, 2015.

1. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,640
    I know it’s a Cubs thread, but we are going to be in Detroit to see the Tigers and White Sox for the 4th. So happy to see Michigan finally get their sh!t together so we can go see family.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown and BoyGeoff like this.
  2. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,248

Get out the brooms!

Tentozen and 2xDawg like this.
  3. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $5,248
    Alright, reality set in. Time to trade Bryant, Javy, and Rizzo... Then try like hell to re-sign Javy and Rizzo in the offseason. No sense in keeping them on the team if they walk for nothing. Try as hard as you can to get something in return like the Yankees did a la the Aroldis Chapman Gleyber Torres trade.

Also, **** Kris Bryant. Way to finally get in shape in your contract year. Thanks for wasting two seasons with a bum shoulder

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,666
    Yeah if only he had chosen not to get injured maybe we’d have something special brewing.

They’re the chicago Cubs, they should be able to afford to keep anyone they want. There’s no reason they should have to trade anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,165
    Yet the mostly same cast has consistently underperformed for 3 1/2 seasons. You’re right, Ricketts, especially with the Marquis Network raking in the money, can afford these guys. But he’s no longer getting value.

It hurts like hell seeing Schwarber and Castellanos pound out those hits for other teams.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen likes this.
  6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,666
    Sure that’s a fair argument. What’s hard for me to pinpoint is why they are so incompetent with so many good players. Castellanos and Schwarber clearly were not the problem, but they should be able to identify what is without “rebuilding”

7. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $5,248
    He originally hurt his non-throwing shoulder sliding into second 2 1/2 seasons ago. He never had surgery on it. Since the injury, the majority of time he’s been put on the IL the reason stated was L shoulder inflammation. IMO i think the simplest explanation for being out that much time and losing that much power (and average) is not rehabbing properly... Bryant is a Scott Boras client. He always asks for too much money and too long of contracts for his stars. So hopefully the Cubs trade him for something before he walks. As I said earlier about Baez and Rizzo, I hope we resign both of them, but it would be a nice bonus if we lent them to another team for 3 months. As for Kimbrel, need to deal him and let him walk unless he wants to come back on a good 1 or 2 year deal.

8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,235
    As a Reds fan, I am really enjoying Castellanos this year.

butlerguy03 and DawgsMD like this.
  9. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,605
    Personally as a baseball fan and a cubs leaner, the product is stale and it needs its overhaul to begin soon and put new faces/names on this franchise. Between Rizzo's back, Bryant's hang nails and knee scratches, Baez' strike outs...I could go on, it's stale. They didn't even think about thinking about winning this year the moment they gave Darvish away for a bunch high school aged dudes. Then realized "oh crap, there will be fans maybe" and used Ricketts' spare change to sign a few retread has beens (or never beens) to try and say "oh, we're transitioning some, but look at us, we're still trying to compete as we do".

There's trouble in the locker room (Vaxxers vs non vaxxers) there's zero competent leadership from Ross, Hoyer and the rest of the clownship that is management. They haven't had a good draft in years. And all this to also say Ricketts' is clutching his purse because of how stretched he is with debt on "rebuilding" or whatever the hell he's done with Wrigleyville.

And the problem-he knows he can throw this filth product on the field and people will still come and buy 50-75 dollar tickets, drink 6 15 dollar beers and spend millions on merchandise. Think about this-Theo walked away from 10 million guaranteed dollars to get away from the poison that Ricketts has become. For 10 million I'd go work for a toilet water taste testing company...and he left it because he knew Ricketts wanted to cut payroll buy dealing their best pitcher and wouldn't allow him to do his job. Now that mindset has trickled down and things are simply out of control.

It needs a fresh start altogether. The players have mostly become crappy too. It needs an overhaul as I said. That's the best course. Problem is, it's Jed that will be leading it...and he's nothing more than a puppet being led by his master (Ricketts).

10. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,254
    To be fair to Hoyer, Ricketts won't let him do anything either, and the cubs got rid of several people in their scouting/player development department during the 2020 season to cut costs, which is definitely an ownership decision. To be fair to Ricketts, Lester was basically the only big signing that Theo/Jed had that didn't completely crash and burn.

Agree completely though. Other than Rizzo, I don't think any of their big names actually benefit the locker room and the product on the field, and as you said, it's pretty unreliable. Time to start over, but the Cubs basically have no assets and nobody will pay anything for the assets they do have, especially after Jed got fleeced in the Darvish trade.

What will be really interesting is if the players strike next season and Ricketts suffers another year of "biblical losses" financially. Will make the last 3 years of free agency look like the roaring 20's.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  11. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,666
    1. KB did not decide to get injured nor does he decide his rehab plan. Blaming him for any of that is misguided.

2. It is an agents job to get his clients the largest contract that he can. This is what he is paid to do.

3. If KB walks the Cubs get a compensatory pick, which may or may not be better than the return they’d get in a trade. There are multiple outcomes here that must be assessed so not trading him is not “wrong”.

4. Kimbrel has a team option next year for $16 million. They don’t need to trade him because they essentially already have him on a 1 year deal.

12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,666
    I also mostly agree with Willis-but also your objections. (Zobrist and Yu were also good signings and Kimbrel has come around)

I think before you change things though, you need to understand the problem. I think the Cubs very clearly don’t. While i agree with Willis that the whole thing seems stale, there has actually been a ton of turnover the last 2-3 years, yet we have the same problems happening despite different people. Turnover for the sake of turnover is likely going to have poor results.

I think the problem is the Ricketts. I think that the winter of 2018 Theo was angling to make some pretty significant moves-perhaps Bryce Harper. Between the end of season press conference and the start of free agency I think something changed-and I think the budget got slashed considerably. If I am right in thinking that, it’s hard to be surprised. If you operate for years under a certain set of assumptions, and those assumptions change unexpectedly and immediately, it really changes what you can do.

willisbrown likes this.
  13. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $5,248
    [​IMG]
    Goodbye, Joc. Thanks for the good vibes... Hopefully, the kid they got for him starts putting the ball in play more, thus making the Show.

14. jal8908

jal8908 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,539
    As a Braves fan, I'm just hoping we can ride a couple of Joc's hot streaks to keep the wheels from falling off and it helps with convincing Freeman to re-sign because we aren't just throwing in the towel and giving up.

Regarding Ball, dude has absolute monster batting practice power right now. Had a really good 2019 in A ball and solid spring training this year, but really struggled at high A so far. Still drawing a ton of walks (almost 150 point delta between AVG and OBP), but average and power are way down. At 6'6" 250lbs he's probably strictly a bat first 1B or DH - think Adam Dunn if he hits his ceiling.

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,666
    I don’t expect Ball to turn into much, but it’s still a reasonable return for Joc, I really enjoyed having Joc as a cub; seems like a good, fun guy. He’s just not an amazing player. He certainly can get very, very hot though. I wish the best for him.

16. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,047
    Ah nice to have another Braves fan here :) As for Ball, I see no way he ever finds a way to hit better than 220. He really struggles with anything with rpm's on it, and nowadays being are flipping up all kinds of spin, even without the sticky stuff. As a Braves fan, I'm pretty happy with giving up a kid who at best is a DH, for a kid that at least occasionally gets hot. I've followed Joc a ton as a prospect, man have I been let down, however, when it turns into the postseason for whatever reason its like he actually focuses on each at bat and turns into a major league player instead of every regular season game is home run derby

jal8908 likes this.
  17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,605
    Braves games are fun and not too expensive if you know where to buy tickies. Around the ballpark isn't too rich to drink...the bigger issue is getting into places for an actual sit down. But the stadium is outstanding, area is cool and the team is a fun watch. Tough luck this year with Ozuna being an idiot, Acuna's knee and Sorka's achilles. Still a fun team though and living here I'm becoming more of a fan. If people are ever coming through atl...the battery is worth checking out. Even on non game days.

18. Staxawax

Money:
    $12,165
    Hitting .220? He’ll fit right in!

Tentozen likes this.
  19. Staxawax

Money:
    $12,165
    For those who watched the end of the Cubs/Reds game Monday night, Amir Garrett’s wiki page was quickly edited:

Amir Jamal Garrett (born May 3, 1992) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds of Major League Baseball (MLB). Garrett played college basketball for the St. John's Red Storm before pursuing a baseball career fully. He was drafted by the Reds in 2011 and made his MLB debut in 2017. His father is Javier Báez of the Chicago Cubs.

the_speakers_lab, Tentozen and #60 like this.
  20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,235
    I hate the Reds bullpen. They are not historically bad, but they’re up there. The team is having a hard time finding its identity without Castellanos. Trying to replace one of the best players in the NL is painfully difficult.