Chuck Harris - 2020 Point Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by UDDawg, Dec 9, 2018.

1. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $132
    I think Chuck has potential. If he buys in to the system and is fine waiting his turn he could be a solid piece for Butler down the road. I'm having a problem seeing how Chuck and Tate coincide. Tate is the better player and a true point guard imo. Harris is a 6'2 combo guard that cant shoot. Could Chuck be a good defensive player? Yeah I think he can. I think he has to develop a lot offensively. These high school kids have so high expectations that I wonder if his role will fulfill what he has in mind.

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,798
    I think you have it backwards. Harris is definitely more of a pure PG and Tate is much more of a combo guard. Harris defense is miles ahead of Tate at this point and don't know if Tate's defense will ever be in Harris league and that's OK. In order of college readiness and able to contribute the quickest it will more than likely go Coles, Harris, Scooby, Tate, Wilmoth. Tate will have a very successful and great Butler career, but I'd actually be shocked if Harris isn't the more impactful 4 year player

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

UDDawg likes this.
  3. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Member

Money:
    $132
    Tate is more of a playmaker and has a better shot. I think Tate makes players around him better. Just my opinion. If you want a bold prediction about Chuck I'm ready to indulge

4. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,798
    Still amazed how under rated/under valued he is going to be for us. We will be spoiled beyong belief to have 4 years of AT and then Harris. The key to consistent winning ways and culture is the PG and we are going to have quite the flow going. I know someone said it earlier, every 3 years just go flat out hard and recruit the best PG in the DC area. The competition level, the HS coaching they receive, the physicality, the fans they deal with all translate to being BE ready from day 1. If he works his butt off, which hearing from coaches and scouts he does, he's got a sneaky chance to be an NBA PG. He checks off all the intangibles, if AT had his offensive game he would definitely be an NBA PG

PSUButlerFan, 2xDawg and cornette33 like this.
  5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,988
    Chuck's got big shoes to fill!

#60, BUBBALUM, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  6. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,635
    Chuck Harris is currently Butler's leading scorer (11.5; Bolden, 10.9; Nze, 10.7; Thompson, 10.4). Who was the last freshman to lead Butler in scoring? I checked Hayward in 2008-09, but Howard was our leading scorer at 14.6 (Hayward was at 13.2). Looks like it hasn't happened in at least the last 20 years. Thoughts?

7. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,903
    Thoughts are he is way better offensively then I ever would have thought coming in as a freshman. (Especially three point shooting)

I think he is a star in the making.

Hot take is he averages 15 plus each year over the next three years at butler and is all big east all three of those years

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Tentozen

Tentozen Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,473
    He has brought his free throw % up to 82%. Still gets lost on defense, and needs to finish better on his drives, but those will come with experience. Agree that his future looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

znelson15 and cornette33 like this.
  9. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,968
    Was going to guess AJ, but Polk had him by 2.5 points. I went back to 1975 and this was the next closest to Gordon. Archbold hardly played as a freshman, but led the team the next three years.

10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,202
    I don’t think he is going to get much better as a driver. He just isn’t that quick. I don’t think he’s a “bad” finisher, he just isn’t isn’t quick enough to beat his guy and get to the basket. He gets cut off on drives all the time.

It’s my hope for him that the emergence of his game is that he is able to maintain the same offensive output while taking fewer shots.

11. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,526
    With experience his craftiness getting to the basket will improve.

Tentozen likes this.
  12. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,798
    He has an elite floater which he really hasn't shown this year. And in HS he was elite at finishing through contact. The adjustment to the BE will take some time, but look at AT his freshman year finishing at the rim vs his soph and on to where he has become pretty good to elite. Chuck knows how to get to the rim, I imagine he has been told to go strong and try to get contact, because his mid range floater game is really good

WestLoopDog and znelson15 like this.
  13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,526
    Additionally, many folks fail to remember the virus prevented players getting on campus early, which denied the freshmen from working with the strength coach and in small groups.

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    Yeah but you have to get past the first guy to be able to utilize any of that. He just doesn’t have that.

It doesn’t mean that he can’t be a good player-while not terribly inefficient, he’s had a wildly successful year. I think AT is a pretty inappropriate comparison for him-besides where they’re from I don’t see a lot in common.

He’s a nice player, I just think he’s a guy who is ideally a sixth man, but one of the best sixth men in the county.

I expect him to score between 1200 and 1500 points in his Butler career. I don’t, however, expect his game to change much from what it is now.

15. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,798
    Ok, that's fine, I respectively disagree with you

WestLoopDog and BoyGeoff like this.
  16. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    Also, I looked it up and he’s shot 2/16 on runners this year- so if his runner is actually an asset (I have no reason not to believe you) then that would diversify his game substantially, though my concerns remain about getting to the basket. It would diversify his arsenal as a cutter though-which I think he does well.

17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $5,798
    This is from Lukas's Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/posts/butler-chuck-fr-44233277

"His bread-and-butter, though, comes inside the arc with his impressive lay-up and floater package. " This is what he was known for in HS by scouts and coaches, I have no reason to suspect he lost his bread and butter offensive game. Again, I don't know what he has been coached to do, but we either he is trying to do to much and pressing, or adjusting to the BE or being told what to do, his game is built around the mid level at the rim, finishing through floaters and through contact. I watched him a ton in HS and AAU that is what he was known for.

Just click the link and scroll down and watch his floater combo section of vids

2xDawg likes this.
  18. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,132
    But Polk was a transfer not a true freshman.

19. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,968
    I understand that. AJ was the true freshman in 2004-2005, and I could not remember if he or Brandon led the team that year.

20. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,132
    Gotcha. Read it the other way obviously.