Coach Meyer Retires

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by ConnersvilleBulldog, Nov 2, 2020.

1. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,400
    The timing of this seems odd, right before the season starts. But I guess it makes sense with family and Covid concerns.

Looks like Vergollo will step into an assistant role on an interim basis for this season.

NCJon, bumba, Shimmy and 2 others like this.
  2. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,180
    I wonder who they'd realistically have replace him after this season? Do they bring Veasley back? Rose isn't ready and I don't think there is a chance Nored wants it. I'd like someone in house but who knows.

3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,885
    I actually think it would be best to go outside the program for another assistant.

willisbrown likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,314
    100%. Mix it up. It's ok to keep some family around but it's the right move to find and hire the best talent available. Going to Butler shouldn't be a pre-req.

5. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,110
    What is it with us and getting stuck with stuff like this when there is very little time to react?

Unless LaVall has a line on something, the timing could gave been better!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,619
    With this development BU would only have an opening for DOBO possibly next year anyway if Will has been promoted. Not exactly a crisis.

7. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
    Just my guess, but Vergollo was an assistant on LJ's staff at Milwaukee. He'll get the AC job full time after the season and somebody young will get groomed for the DOBO job.

ConnersvilleBulldog and seadawg like this.
  8. seadawg

Money:
    $8,619
    A grad assistant would be another plausible option.

9. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,335
    Agreed, the most senior AC now is Kampen in his 5th year so that takes care of the hometown hire.

willisbrown likes this.
  10. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,191
    BU is on a hiring freeze, so moving Will up for year makes sense. Also suspect Omar could get stolen from us before long, so could see 2 spots open for next year.

bumba likes this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,314
    Omar has really grown on me and I love him on this staff. I hope he doesn't get nabbed but I think he'll get a HC gig sooner than later.

seadawg likes this.
  12. seadawg

Money:
    $8,619
    Kampen has also proven to be a pretty good recruiter.

Tark43, bumba, NCJon and 1 other person like this.
  13. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    COVID is a mild inconvenience for Butler in relation to the catastrophic effect it has on the football schools at a level that would be a concern for interesting OL. It’s going to be YEARS before you see coaches get a pay day, if ever. I think there’s a real chance all of this was a hard reset on athletic department spending. (IE the days of Butler’s coach churn are over)

As for Butler, for optics, they can’t really proceed permanently with a staff like that. I’d expect them to hire someone of JM’s ilk with the completion of the season (someone that is vaguely nationally known, perhaps older)

14. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $215
    He was still on the practice floor just two days ago. Hopefully nothing serious health wise.

bumba likes this.
  15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169

Nice post from Beilein supporting Will.

ButlerNut, Tentozen, 2xDawg and 8 others like this.