Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Apr 1, 2022.

1. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,189
    New coach coming - maybe time for a fresh thread?

I’ll start with this rumor:

2. SpringDawg

SpringDawg Active Member

Money:
    $236
    Thad as HC/AD in waiting. Nored as Associate HC/HC in waiting. 3 year deal.

Dawgsby1000 and ButlerBuckets like this.
  3. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $594
    I'd be down for this if Nored would do it, but I'm skeptical he would accept that. I also don't know what I think about Matta returning as HC. He's by far the most proven of the names tossed around, but without knowing what his health issues are, I'd be concerned about how that plays out.

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,703
    I desperately want Butler to conduct a national search. Most of the potential candidates I really like have no Butler connection.

Among the Butler guys: I could get on board with Nored if he has an experienced former head coach as an associate head coach, a la Phil Martelli at Michigan. I don't think Matta (health) or Shrewsbury and Holtmann are realistic. PSU and OSU would easily outbid Butler and I don't see either being ready to just let their coach walk. Groce is meh. If Thad is AD and wants to bring in Boals, I could be OK with that too.

willisbrown likes this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member VIP Member

Money:
    $20,169
    I'd actually really like this I think. That's been a rumor for weeks now. The other big rumor is of course Boals. I'm very much ok with that selection as well. Ohio State fans seem to be extremely high on him. Some even want him over Holtmann (which I think is crazy, but you know how these things go).

6. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,215
    Is the interim coach at Xavier too much of a reach? I was really impressed at how he got the potential out of that team.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

znelson15 and NCJon like this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    Of those who are even on the radar, there are three that I’d be thrilled with: Thad, Shrews, Holt.

Unfortunately, of course, shrews and holt are exceptionally unlikely. I don’t think anyone really knows how likely Thad is, but I’d bet he’s more likely than those two.

Beyond those three, Ron is probably the most interesting to me, but if he has any success, he’ll be coaching the Magic or similar in a few years.

So then you’re left with the others who have been mentioned: Boals, Terry, Groce. Of those three, I suppose I’m neutral between Terry and Boals because who knows. I’d be upset with Groce, but I think he’s very unlikely.

Id rather have Drew than any of those last three I think

If it’s not any of the above-names coaches, I’d be shocked, and I have no clue who that might be.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

8. SpringDawg

SpringDawg Active Member

Money:
    $236
    Yeah, I originally heard the Thad/Nored rumor early last week. I'm not all that optimistic but I think it would definitely be a move that would make a splash and bring some energy to the program. A guy can always dream.

9. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,189
    Matta/Nored would be a as close to a home run scenario as it gets

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    Agree.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

ButlerBuckets and estar20dawg like this.
  11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,845
    Anyone up for Steele as an assistant? He was a mediocre head coach, but he’s known as a damn good recruiter. Alum. Bring him in and let him recruit.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  12. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $19,845
    Yeah short of Stevens or maybe Holt, this would be the best bet.

13. SpringDawg

SpringDawg Active Member

Money:
    $236
    Already accepted HC at Miami University.

NCJon likes this.
  14. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,703
    He was named the Miami (Ohio) head coach yesterday.

15. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $19,845
    Oops. I don’t pay close enough attention. Thanks guys.

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,183
    He just took the job at Miami (oh).

I'm ok with Nored coming in as a "to be" or "associate" head coach if there is a proven coach like Matta for the first 2-3 years and he allows Nored to be very much involved.

I honestly think though this has all been deciding and a Thad/Boals package will be ushered in. I'm ok with it. He's had decent results at Ohio and they have outperformed Butler the last couple of years. He's solid and I think if given the chance, some of the current roster would buy in.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $14,101
    As others have said, he took the Miami job. Also he’s a twerp.

BUcheer likes this.
  18. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $820
    How about Thad and he brings Greg Oden over from OSU and Oden gets his 6'11 brother to enter the portal with 3 years remaining.

19. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $562
    I'm hearing lots of rumors that Tracy Stevens will be our new head coach with Heather Hayward the associate head coach/head-coach-in-waiting.

20. johnhardingftw

johnhardingftw Member

Money:
    $6,467
    Variations on this have been making the rounds for a few years now. It's almost urban legend at this point. It wouldn't suck, though.....I'd take that duo in a heartbeat.

ButlerBuckets likes this.