Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Apr 1, 2022.

1. DawgDude

DawgDude Active Member

Money:
    $173
    Little trivia- supposedly Thad has two daughters who are Thetas at Butler.

2. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,882
    Can confirm through sources. As was Barb. Oldest has graduated though.

DawgDude likes this.
  3. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,348
    Title called it earlier in the thread. Give the guy some credit whether you like him or not. All he's been advocating for since 2014 is exactly what happened today. He bleeds blue like the rest of us.

bmradio99, BigHoss, BoyGeoff and 3 others like this.
  4. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $4,768
    I actually wasn’t asking sarcastically. I know he has his strong opinions and always “let’s start playing ball like we’re in the big East” and this hire seems like exactly the thing he wants. If he already said that I may have missed it with how many posts have been made in 72 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba and BoyGeoff like this.
  5. Blue Baller 00

Blue Baller 00 Active Member

Money:
    $285
    So you think this was the plan all along? You think Thad took a job at IU for just one yr before this could happen? You think the season ended and this was why they waited? I believe things went south quickly and the standing offer Barry made to Thad a few yrs ago came back into play. Thad would not have taken the job at IU if he planned to coach at Butler in a yr. I like the hire as Thad is a great guy, coach, and leader but I stand by my opinions of Barry too.

6. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,740
    Let me ask this, and it's a big "if". He's only 54. Could we get 10-15 years out of him, if his health allows?

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,316
    Perhaps I’m missing something, but can you please explain what I’m supposed to learn about Barry and Danko from them hiring one of the winningest coaches the last 25 years, who is also an excellent recruiter?

They deserve praise for making this happen, but any casual college basketball fan in the country would know that if Thad Matta is interested in your program you should hire him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BoyGeoff, bwesson15 and NCJon like this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Good for you. Everyone needs to stand for something or they stand for nothing as the old saying goes.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,316
    I don’t know why we’re using quotes that don’t work at all in this scenario, but I’ll take a stab it:

“Freedom isn’t free.”

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  10. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    That’s a quote as is this one by Pascal : “All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”

Or - Lincoln’s- “ Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt”

Been trolling the Xavier board today and find their members to be much like most of ours- a lot of bravado, chest pumping people believing they are important yet surely without a resume of success at anything. Most need to stay in a quiet room alone with their thoughts so as not to remove all doubt as to their foolery.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
  11. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,197
    Did Butler announce that it doesn't want to compete *in* the Big East but it wants to compete *for* the Big East?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,774
    $1.05

jal8908 likes this.
  13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $10,316
    Insane Dawg, do you think self awareness is learned, or inherited?

14. ButlerBoyz

ButlerBoyz Active Member

Money:
    $319
    We got to make sure to get Matta's favorite dip

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

MarcusNellemsfor3 likes this.
  15. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,271
    In the immortal words of Delmar O’Donnell:
    We’ll I’m with you fellers!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. tcdtcd

tcdtcd Member

Money:
    $82
    Finding, and shelling out, the $$$$$$$$

(this was in response to Dawgs2014 from his post above about this being an obvious hire)

17. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $820
    As I posted before, I believe there was a job restriction clause in Thad's exiting from OSU. I've been on a coach search committee for a high mid-major and during a search an AC who was with Holtman at Gardner-Webb brought it up.

WestLoopDog likes this.
  18. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Well-Known Member

Money:
    $693
    Any speculation or insight on assistants Coach Matta might try to bring in? Current coaches that he might keep?

19. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,638
    Right now I think the only thing that's been speculated is Jeff Boals could still join Matta's staff in a potential coach in waiting role. While I think it's possible he'll join, I doubt he'll be groomed for the HC job, Matta is 54 and Boals is 49, not much of an age difference if one is waiting for the other to step down. Personally I can't see him keeping most of the guys currently on staff.

20. ap234

ap234 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    Ronald Nored has been speculated too. I think it’s a long shot but it might be possible. I personally wouldn’t mind to Ragland retained as well.

DawgPoundMac and estar20dawg like this.