Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Apr 1, 2022.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,845
    The only guy who has even a slight chance of being kept is Ragland. There is zero chance Lowery or Kampen are being retained.

ButlerBoyz and znelson15 like this.
  2. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,050
  3. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $19,845
    This is my expectation. If he’s healthy and he wants, he will coach here 10-15 years and make Butler relevant during that time. Stability and from one of the better College coaches of the last 20 years… he can make 2.4/yr (with raises) for a long time. It doesn’t feel like he would leave unless to become AD or to retire.

This is a very good day for Butler basketball.

4. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,950
    I wonder if Matta was one of the wealthy alums Collier hit up for the buyout...maybe Matta funded all of it himself

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 and BoyGeoff like this.
  5. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,512
    According to Willis, Barry may legally adopt Kampen if Thad doesn’t want him on staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba, PSUButlerFan and bmradio99 like this.
  6. SCbulldogsfan4life

SCbulldogsfan4life Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,148
    Ragland seems quite respected, at least on this forum. What is it about Ragland that makes so many of you want him to stay, and what is it about Kampen and Lowery that make you want to see them let go?

7. ap234

ap234 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,007
    Ragland is thought of as an up and comer in coaching circles and a good recruiter. He also would’ve likely been the favorite to get the USI job if their current coach left for another HC job he was being considered for.

8. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $19,845
    I think international connections for recruiting is his big draw. There are some great teams built on international players. Gonzaga has had some serious international dudes - Sabonis, Pangos, Hachimura, Ayayi, Olynyk, Petrusev, Karnowski, Tillie, etc.

Other teams have had awesome international players as well. My dream is to have a few as role players - Thad can land a couple studs from Indy or Chicago or somewhere and then have Simas as a third/fourth option. That would be ideal.

mwall787 and SCbulldogsfan4life like this.
  9. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,950
    He's had big success with wings. Valpo (Alec Peters) and Utah State (Justin Bean and Alphonso Anderson).

Proven winner and can develop talent. And also a strong recruiter. He was lead recruiter for our last two we signed (Simas and Turnbull).

I'd love to keep him on staff. But, I could see Matta having even better options for his staff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

mwall787 and SCbulldogsfan4life like this.
  10. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,474
    Thad Matta. Hehe. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerHomer, BoyGeoff, 2xDawg and 9 others like this.
  11. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,005
    Yep, Thad’s been taking good care for sure. I also see him. Love thinking about Barlow, Marshall, let’s remember Hahn. He’s a total bulldog and awesome teacher and coach.

12. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,918
    WestLoop Dog: "Maybe, just maybe, Barry Collier and Jim Danko actually know what they are doing and aren't quite as dumb as some of the vocal members of this board opined ad nauseum. Just wondering out loud."
    Blue Baller, I do NOT think this was "the plan all along" over a year ago. Knowing both Collier and Danko personally, they are not that scheming or Machiavellian. My point was simply that they are not "out of touch" or walking around with their heads in the sand (or elsewhere) as repeatedly suggested by some people on this board. And yes, I do think there was purpose in the timing and perceived delay. And I think they are on top of things and are making good decisions based on the facts, information, and constraints they need to deal with. And you are still entitled to your opinion about Barry, notwithstanding that he just helped land a terrific and proven coach.

2xDawg likes this.
  13. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $820
    I posted this when many posted TM was in the mix. Still not sure that his bro would be a good fit but he has a Big East body.,

cornette33 and 2xDawg like this.