Conference Realignment - Big East Splitting

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
  2. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949
    RE: ESPN: A10 Open To Expansion

Might as well included this here as well.

IndyStar: Case For An Expanded A10

It's going to be interesting to see how fast this moves. Being patient hasn't really done anything for the current basketball only Big East schools. My guess is they don't want to wait around much longer.

3. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351

Really like this long term for Butler. Both from a basketball standpoint and financial angle. 21 teams is alot of teams though. Wonder if A-10 could absorb the Big East 7 Catholics and also wittle it's own league down to get to a more reasonable number like 16?

4. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119

Doubt it. If this happens we'll be looking at divisions. Similar to what the Big10 is looking at.

Like it or not, this is where college basketball is heading. Nice that Butler has put themselves in position to be out in front of it. Better out front than left behind.

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949

I really dislike divisions. Partially because they never end up being equal. I'd rather just have a 20 game conference schedule and play everyone once.

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72

Gary Parrish made this point, and I agree with it that they'll probably at least wait to make a decision to see what the TV deal ends up being, but this could also be impacted by what happens with Cincinnati and UConn, who are desperately trying to get out of the Big East as well.

In terms of a TV deal, obviously the best situation for both conferences (if they were to combine) would likely be trying to figure out how to get rid of some of the redundancies in markets (George Washington, Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Fordham, etc.) and RPI anchors, which those four teams typically are. Ideally if the A-10 could figure out a way to take out those four teams and UMass moved into a different conference (the new Big East probably wouldn't be a bad option at that point) for their football program, you're then left with 9 A-10 teams and 7 Big East teams, and really only 2 markets (Richmond and Philly) in which you'll have multiple teams. You can then go with the same conference schedule as this year and have travel partners and play everyone else once.

How that all happens though, is going to be beyond difficult.

7. 85inarow

85inarow Member

Money:
    $23

I wouldn't necessarily like a conference that big, but if the quality of schools resembled the 7 that would be coming on, I'd be all for it. Like Irishdawg said, getting rid of cellar dwellers would be nice but don't know how that could happen.

8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72

Also, just think about this. A year ago Butler had to play teams like Cleveland State, Wright State, UIC, (insert hypen or fictional "state" school here), which don't get me wrong, were good to Butler and I'm happy to see UIC doing well right now. But Butler goes from playing those teams twice a year to potentially playing schools like Marquette, Georgetown, Xavier, VCU, etc. every year? Talk about a change of scenery. If this does happen, I'm not sure how good or bad it will be for Butler (competing with A-10 schools is one thing, but schools like Georgetown and Marquette are quite another).

Also, I move if the two conferences due combine as proposed, the name of the new conference should be the Big Atlantic Metro Faith-based (or BAMF) Basketball Conference. ;)

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949

It would be awesome if the remaining football schools went ahead and left and then the Big East could simply invite the top half or so of the A10 to join. Take all of that tournament money that they've generated over the past several years.

10. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $748

Anything over 16 just seems a little ridiculous.

11. Bulldog Grit

Bulldog Grit New Member

Money:
    $6

No way, not ridiculous at all. Think of the extra media market. The bigger the footprint, the larger the media exposure and revenue! The Big 10 will become the Big 20, trust me. Also, have two divisions within the whole conference. This may actually save a LITTLE on travel.

BG
    [hr]
    As long as these schools don't enter the A-10 before 2014 or 2015. This should give us more time to recruit Top 50 players to compete in a futuristic Top 3 Basketball Conference in the country. Think of all the ESPN, CBS, NBC, and A-10 TV games broadcasted.

12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949

CBS: Big East Expected To Split

It beginning to sound like it's only a matter of time before Butler is in a conference with these basketball only Big East schools. I think the only question is whether it's the Big East, the A10, or a completely new conference.

13. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $279

Pretty clear from today's news it'll be in the Big East (with the name). The last 20 years of basketball has proved to be the most important thing that could ever happen to the University. Being aligned with institutions like Georgetown is no joke

14. 85inarow

85inarow Member

Money:
    $23

Please make this happen!

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,949

Good article by SI. Shows that there is a lot of money on the table that has to be worked out. It would be nice if Butler could get in on a significant piece of that.

Big East Basketball

16. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,990
    I know some like Title might see this as a negative, but I think this next move makes it that more likely that we retain Brad until his dream job comes open (IU or Duke I would argue at this point). We'd have more money to pay him and upgrade facilities, suddenly the job he's comfortable becomes one that has gone from nice to desired from the outside looking in.

17. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,961
    There is 0% chance of the A-10 absorbing these schools. All 7 of these schools spend more $$$ on MBB annually than any school in the A-10, it's simply a different level of commitment.

For example, in 2011, Providence (the lowest of the 7) spent $5.4 Mil on Men's Basketball.

Richmond (the A10's highest) spent $4.0 Mil...

The 7 schools will invite others to join them, we just have to hope we're one of those schools. I believe we're in a unique position to garner an invite.

18. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8745235/seven-schools-agree-leave-big-east-debating-process-source-says

--------------

Latest update from ESPN as of 7 PM. The Mike Brey comments about an all Catholic Conference that does not include Butler is a major blow, if that is indeed true. Butler's cache and Indianapolis market is too good for a revised Big East to turn down IMO, but you never know. I would think Butler would want to piggyback on any move that X, Dayton and St Louis does.

19. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    I don't buy a cross-country Catholic league for one minute. Brey is blowing smoke for no reason IMO. Why would he have any idea what the 7 are saying? They could give a rats ass about ND since they bailed.

20. Mr 224

Mr 224 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Just imagine -- if DePaul joined the A-10, the conference would have a presence in Chicago, and Butler would get an annual game in Chicago for the alumni to attend.