Conference Realignment - Big East Splitting

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Jared Grubbs, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $211
    There's a whole lot of people, seemingly Providence people saying its done with BU, XU, SLU, Creighton, and UD for tomorrow.

FWIW

2. Cooley

Cooley New Member

Money:
    $5

3. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,995
    There has never been any real doubt that the conference would either quickly or immediately expand to 12 teams. Everyone knows 10 would be ideal, but the networks demand 12 and money rules the roost.

That said, with 12 teams immediately, there is no way the C7 can strong arm the other 5 into accepting inequity from the TV revenue. Doesn't matter when the official announcement is, if it's done behind the scenes, the 5 new teams have to much leverage as a group to be pushed around. Where it could have got ugly would be if the C7 brought in 3 teams, negotiated the TV contract and forced inequity on the new members (if only temporarily), and then lookedto bring on 2 more at a later time.

This is good news, if true.

4. Mr 224

Mr 224 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Has anyone heard about the conference name, if it isn't going to be Big East? I think it would be cool to call the conference "Major" something or other. I just hope the name isn't tied to one specific region or includes a number

5. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $211
    It'll be the Big East.

6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,858
    Big Priests and the Choir Boys?

7. BigEastfan

BigEastfan New Member

Money:
    $5
    Your not in the Big East yet and your already trashing most of the Catholic 7 teams ? . Don't compare Big East teams with other teams , theres no comparison. Top to bottom every Big East team is a quality team. It's a slugfest every night in the Big East.
    Every Big East team would be top dog in many other leagues. UCONN won the national championship 2 years ago despite going 9-9 in the Big East .
    The only real slouch is Depaul, but the others have up and coming teams. Like St. John's with Steve Lavin as coach. The whole team is top 100 ESPN signees and they have top recruits very interested and ready to sign . Their young and inexperienced but very talented . Same with Providence who signed 3 top 25 ESPN players last year. Villanova too. They've had a top 25 team for the last 10 years.
    Unlike in the ACC where they hate each other, in the Big East we root for each other come the NCAA tournament. Remember that when you join us.

8. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $211
    Its not the people on this board, it is the impression of everyone.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/ncbexperts/id/8758285/bracket-concerns-former-big-east-schools-college-basketball

9. Cooley

Cooley New Member

Money:
    $5

Yikes sorry about that
    Hey I am a Providence fan , but we have sucked for most of the last decade, I don't think anyone is trashing the big east.

10. BigEastfan

BigEastfan New Member

Money:
    $5
    I wouldn't be so quick to add teams . The new Big East should wait till the 4 super football conferences fill up and wait for teams like Memphis, Temple and UConn who got no place to go.
    Those teams could be added. Adding Gonzaga might be good too. Adding Xavier, Butler and maybe Creighton is a no brainer . When Memphis and Temple come down to earth and realize they aren't going anywhere with their mediocre football programs they'll be more willing to join a basketball conference because their basketball programs define them. Better to have Memphis and Temple and UCONN then the other teams.

11. bujet15

bujet15 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Haha come on, big east fan!!! They C7 don't want football schools or they will be in the same position they are in now down the road. Though for bball fans that would be the way u would want to go

12. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,352
    I'm assuming that he means inviting them for basketball only (well, probably all schools besides football actually, but basketball being the only major sport). While they might be a little less stable, as they would likely jump if some major football conference came calling, it wouldn't be near the situation they were in where it was the football schools calling the shots. I would love for Memphis, Temple, or UConn to join this hypothetical Big East, but I certainly wouldn't turn down other quality basketball schools in order to wait for them. Programs like St. Louis are already good, and the drastically increased exposure/revenue would only make them better.

13. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $211
    Yeah, there's 0% chance of FBS teams being involved.

14. Cooley

Cooley New Member

Money:
    $5
    FYI C7 presidents are meeting in Washington Saturday..

15. Cooley

Cooley New Member

Money:
    $5
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...f=twitter_feed

Some news but no new news, other than I still think the B7 will rest at 9 or 10 schools.

16. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,350
    Richard Deitsch ?@richarddeitsch
    CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus told SI his network has spoken with Catholic 7 hoops reps. Said CBS is interested in programming

17. I Am Butler

Money:
    $3,995
    More of the same regarding stupidity of the C7 trying to force inequity on new members:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-01-09/catholic-7-tv-contract-rpi-ratings-cj-mccollum-kentucky-john-calipari-mid-major?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

18. Cooley

Cooley New Member

Money:
    $5
    More of the same regarding stupidity of the C7 trying to force inequity on new members:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-01-09/catholic-7-tv-contract-rpi-ratings-cj-mccollum-kentucky-john-calipari-mid-major?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ok you need to chill on the uneven pay. This report is a review of the first ESPN report. Today there a quiet a few reports out there none state that there would be a 2 tier pay set up. It looks like the pay is lower at 3mill for all.

19. Cooley

Cooley New Member

Money:
    $5
    here are 2 other links
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...ts-tv-contract

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball...to_report.html

20. I Am Butler

Money:
    $3,995

I'm in no way worked up. It's obvious now that it won't happen, but this is a forum thread discussing the realignment and I'm simply sharing an article that gives an outsiders opinion on the ESPN article.

You shouldn't take offense to that.