Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jul 1, 2022.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,665
    Agree, I give exactly 2 sh$ts about college football, haven't watched more than 10 minutes in the past 5 years. It's boring, long, slow. I hate the product, the money and most of all most of the commentators are nails on the chalk board, the refereeing is comically bad and that's with replay. I hope all of it gets burned down

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

2xDawg likes this.
  2. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,856
    I would have thought the same thing, but the UCLA/USC move really changes the landscape everybody is now re-evaluating where they need to go. But a Gonzaga/Wichita add would be very logical, and probably be accretive to the TV contract value and bring in good competition.

3. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,468
    Been thinking about how fortuitous it is at this moment in time that Thad has returned. Imagine trying to navigate NIL/conference realignment without a brand name successful coach that understands the current landscape but also understands Butler and what makes it unique. “accept reality” is one tenet of the Butler Way—Thad knows who Butler is and how we can be successful as BUTLER.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Shane Davis, mwall787 and 2xDawg like this.
  4. MadThatta

MadThatta Active Member

Money:
    $196
    Apparently you didn't know of the AD's meeting in Las Vegas last week...

Shane Davis likes this.
  5. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,742

If you're looking for a "basketball" school to change conferences, weirdly(?), beyond Notre Dame, UNC was Delaney's old #2 expansion pick. In my opinion, this quote isn't from UNC, but rather from Clemson, FSU, or Miami trying to join the $EC...

troggy and tlp63 like this.
  6. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,842
    It seems to be common sense that the BIG would add Washington, Oregon, Notre Dame, North Carolina, and Virginia. You then have four (almost) perfect pods - the only outlier in geography would be Nebraska going far west. If you replaced North Carolina/Virginia/Notre Dame with Stanford/Cal/Colorado, then it is even more geographically sound at 20.

You play each opponent in your division 1x, 2 of each of the other division, getting you to 10 games in conference and 3 out of conference. Top 2 division winners in the playoff standings play for the championship. Perfect.

I. HATE. COLLEGE. FOOTBALL.

West
    Nebraska
    Oregon
    UCLA
    USC
    Washington

Mid-West
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Notre Dame

Mid-East
    Indiana
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Ohio State
    Purdue

East
    Maryland
    North Carolina
    Penn State
    Rutgers
    Virginia

2xDawg likes this.
  7. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,944
    The issue with North Carolina going to the B1G in all these scenarios is seperating it from NC State.

I know it has happened elsewhere when people said it couldn't (e.g. Oklahoma and Oklahoma State) but UNC and state are part of the same university system. They are codependent, not independent, of each other. State also has a lot of alumni in the NC legislature. I just don't see it happening and the B1G doesn't want NCSU.

8. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $2,018
    UCLA separated themselves from Cal-Berkley pretty easily despite this.

UNC isn't going to stick around in the ACC if they can help it, and NC State attaching themselves (if a law would actually have any teeth to it) would only end up hurting both schools, IMO.

Hinkle and Daddysmack like this.
  9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $21,251
    My God this would be amazing. Penn State’s division is comically bad. We’d win that every year.

But this doesn’t work - you left out Wisconsin…

10. NCJon

Money:
    $9,944
    Not a law so much as appropriations. UNC and State rely on more state support per student than the Cal system schools because our constitution requires tuition to be "free as practicable" and the legislature set hard limits on out-of-state students (no more than 12 percent for Chapel Hill UG). So revenue opportunitues are limited.

When the legislature doesn't like policy decisions a campus makes, it slashes appropriations to bring the institution to heel. After a decade of cuts, Chapel Hill is very much under the legislature's political influence if not its direct authority. And State has better representation at the moment.

11. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,687
    If, as you say, "revenue opportunities are limited," I'm curious as to why the legislature would not be delighted with one of the institutions tapping into a significant additional revenue source, even if the other didn't have the same opportunity.

12. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,742

The B1G would def take Stanford. Cal-Berkeley is a more murkey situation

13. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,742
    (*kinda thinking out loud) So the Big XII would be
    1. Kansas
    2. Kansas St
    3. Iowa St
    4. WVU
    5. Oklahoma St
    6. TCU
    7. Texas Tech
    8. Baylor
    9. Cincinatti(?)
    10. BYU(?)
    11. Arizona
    12. ASU
    13. Colorado
    14. Oregon
    15. Utah
    16. Washington
    Is that correct? Who am I missing?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  14. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,742
    In this scenario, Notre Dame would have too many guaranteed crossover/rivalry games (Michigan, USC, MSU, kinda Purdue, and def Stanford assuming they're added). There would be hardly any schedule flexibility. Personally, I don't like the 4 pods idea. I think there should be 1 "pod" that would be the WC teams and keep the East & West divisions for a championship game.

15. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $21,251
    Seems we’re going to a 4 super conferences system for football - Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, ACC. Looks like Pac 12 will die. 4 champs in a 4-team playoff. Other schools drop to something between FBS and FCS.

16. butlerguy03

Money:
    $3,842
    Well, ****. How can I leave out the cheese state?

17. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,856
    Just curious, do you think the IHCF would be a member of the NCAA ?

18. butlerguy03

Money:
    $3,842
    Probably Not.

Regardless of what happens, the incredible foresight to make sure Butler made the difficult jump from Horizon to Big East in a very short period of time was invaluable. If our school had not made that jump, the Dawgs would be all but dead in the water in the next few years. At least being attached to the Big East, Butler has a chance of survival.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  19. NCJon

Money:
    $9,944
    Here is former UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp, who was chancellor, i.e president, during the last big round of expansion, explaining it:

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-c...-early-2010s-former-chancellor-says/20362957/

20. the_speakers_lab

Money:
    $6,742