Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jul 1, 2022.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,025
    Ugh, 18 teams in the sec is just too much. I hope this isn't a thing.

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,944
    I think the blue checkmark on that tweet has fooled a lot of people. Guy writes for a swimming website. His "scoop" has been out for more than 12 hours and nobody reputable has picked it up.

Also, it makes zero sense that ESPN would attempt to "void their TV deal with the ACC," when the whole reason ACC teams may be vulnerable to being poached is that the current deal with ESPN runs through 2035 and is extremely favorable to ESPN and not the schools. You don't seek to void a contract that benefits you.

3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,785
    A state isn’t going to prevent one of its institutions from making more money just because another institution might not.

Edit:
    Maybe it happened to some degree before, when UNC perhaps could’ve joined the SEC, but at that time there was not the gulf between the conferences that is emerging now.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,785
    I will say one positive thing about this wave of realignment is that it appears the implosion of the ACC is inevitable. Its annoyed me for the better part of the last two decades how objectively and consistently the league is overhyped by the east coast coverage machine and inflated media deals. It’s been objectively average among power basketball leagues on the whole for the last 15 years, and its football, outside of its top 2 programs, is just a bad joke.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

troggy and Tentozen like this.
  5. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,687
    So they'd rather have one university forego tens of millions of dollars each year so supporters of the other university wouldn't feel bad? Their solution, then, is to make sure that neither gets extra money. How does that possibly benefit anyone? Yeah, that sounds really fiscally responsible.

6. NCJon

Money:
    $9,944
    Let me put it this way: Imagine Purdue President Mitch Daniels and Indiana President Pamela Whitten are both responsive/employed by the same governing body that is made up of 1/3rd Purdue grads, 1/3rd Indiana grads and the rest from a smattering of schools around the state or nearby states. These are the people who ultimately decide major issues for both campuses.

Indiana is set to join the new MEGA Conference, where it'll make an extra $30 million a year, and leave Purdue behind to be relegated to the SCRAPHEAP Conference where it'll likely make $10 or $15 million less a year upfront and may have trouble selling out its stadium or getting an invite to whatever basketball tournament is to come.

Do you think the Purdue alumni in positions of power are going to roll over and say, "Oh well, good for IU getting an extra $30 million" and rubber stamp the move? Or do you think they are going to fight like hell to make Purdue part of the package or at a minimum preserve the status quo?

One of NC State's biggest athletics boosters (though not an alum) is the chair of the UNC system board of governors. He is not going to quietly let the school he has given mountains of money for athletics get left behind. They still may get left behind, but it won't be without an ugly fight.

7. NCJon

Money:
    $9,944

NC State's been struggling to accept its little brother status for 50-60 years at least. I wouldn't expect them to start now.

8. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,842
    I honesty think Purdue would roll over for the most part. It's just like the European Super League. The money talks. It will happen eventually.

Hinkle likes this.
  9. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,742
    FWIW the SEC will have 16 teams in it this season w Texas and OU. So adding 4 more we be 20. IMO if you're going to do a MEGA conference, I think two 10 and 10 divisions is the way to go. Beyond that I feel is too much. I think the SEC will end up w/ 18 (Clemson and FSU). The B1G might have 20 bc they may want a few more WC universities w/USC and UCLA, but don't underestimate its commissioner, Kevin Warren, ability to screw things up.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,742
    Yeah, I didn't really think the tweet made much sense too. I just posted it bc a lot of ppl were talking about it. Unless it's their only offer, I'm not really sure UVA would join the SEC. UVA doesn't exactly fit the academic profile of your typical SEC university. Ditto w/ UNC

NCJon likes this.
  11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $21,251
    Who is the other? Obviously Clemson is #1…

FSU? I could understand but they haven’t been good in like 8 years and show no signs of getting back to that…

12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,785
    No I agree. But they do have a title in the last decade, so trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. But yes, it’s a joke.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

13. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,687
  14. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,842
    Mora may have this goal, but UConn is the one public school who was burned the last time. They seem to be happy in the Big East; however, they also have a severe identity crisis.

15. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,025
    I'm a monster college football fan. I can get up at 11 and not go down until 2am and be happy as a lamb on saturdays. With my only movements being from the couch/chair to the fridge and back. It's my favorite thing on this planet to gamble on. Even such...this shiite is getting ridiculous. It does make me feel very thankful Butler had the opportunity and made the move we did to the big east.

ButlerNut and BURph92 like this.
  16. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $668
    UCONN would owe the Big East 30 million dollars. If they want to pay that?

[​IMG]

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  17. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,464
    I think the great State of Connecticut is about $100 million in debt on the football. So chump change in their deficit spending paradise.

18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,959
    This is exactly how Willis and I would spend a Saturday if we ever connected. I will add we would have phone chargers for bets and to trash talk @psu all day!!!

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

willisbrown likes this.
  19. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,856
    The head of the Big 12 has said he sees expansion to 16 teams in the near future, sounds to me like that's where 4 or 5 of the Pac 12 goes - 5 if Kansas splits off. That leave 4 or so Pac 12 teams on the "loose". I sort of expect that the B1G will try and grab at least the Seattle market by getting Washington or Washington State, or both - that is a lucrative TV market. That means to me that the Oregon Ducks are in a rabid dither trying to find a visible home for all that Nike money, hard not to enjoy that drama.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  20. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $21,251
    I don’t think Wazzou gets you anything in Seattle. Pullman is in the middle of nowhere. In fact, my guess is they are left out since they bring absolutely nothing to any conference.

estar20dawg, NCJon and 2xDawg like this.