Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jul 1, 2022.

1. troggy

troggy Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,256
    It's possible a couple of current Pac 12 schools could wind up in the Mountain West or something like that.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  2. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,572
    Wazzou and Oregon State are the ones who add little athletically. This would make sense. Boise is already a better program than both, although they are still a far cry from the Petersen years.

3. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $782
    Here is to Loyola figuring out a way into the Big East. We would LOVE another Butler game in Chicago every year.
    The Gentile Center is a little over half the size of Hinkle and we would JAM that gym with Butler fans every game.

4. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,796
    No.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bmradio99, SnoopDawg and Hinkle like this.
  5. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,252
    Sports Illustrated created a Desirability Rating for each of the 69 schools in the Power 5 conferences taking into account football rank, academics, all sports, attendance, and viewership. A few of the findings:
    • 13 of the top 14 programs were in the SEC or the B1G (including schools committed to move to those conferences). The only one missing: Notre Dame (#3).
    • The top 5 programs, in order, were Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, and Georgia.
    • Here was the order of B1G schools: Ohio State (#1), Michigan (#2), Wisconsin (#7), USC (#8), Penn State (#11), UCLA (#18), Michigan State (#20), Iowa (#21), Northwestern (#29), Nebraska (#33), Minnesota (#38), Purdue (#41), Indiana (#49), Maryland (#52), Illinois (#59), and Rutgers (#65).
    • Thinking about the discussion regarding Kansas, they were rated at #68 out of 69 schools. (Duke, by the way, was #50).
    • The average school ranking for the SEC was 25.1 and for the B1G was 25.8. If the ratings really were representative of a school's value, you might make an argument that it wouldn't make sense for either the SEC or the B1G to take any new school ranked worse than 25. The only schools not in one of those two conferences that are ranked in the top 25 are Notre Dame (#3), Washington (#15), Clemson (#16), Stanford (#17), Florida State (#19), North Carolina (tied for #22), Oregon (tied for #22), Oklahoma State (tied for #25), and Miami (tied for #25).

Obviously, those aren't the only factors that will be considered, and those factors won't be given equal weight as they were in the ratings, but it gives some basis for comparing schools that might be available and a lot of fodder for discussion.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    MSUDawg, #60 and znelson15 like this.
  6. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,799
    Viewership is the key in this wave of consolidation. I would agree with your hypothosis, I might take the threshold to #26,#27 or #28 depending on who was in that box. You could also fix the B1G issue by booting out Rutgers :)

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118
    Would much rather have UCONN in Butler’s conference than a one-time 3 million dollar payment.

bmradio99 and SnoopDawg like this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118
    Seems like a pretty reasonable list. That seems high for Wisconsin, but what do I know.

9. Albick

Money:
    $3,252
    Realignment obviously is being driven by football, but I wonder how much of a factor basketball plays in all of this. In SI's ratings, it appears that the only place that basketball even was considered was as one component of the "all sports" factor. The football TV money clearly is massive. How does it compare to the TV money for basketball? Could a school with a terrible football program but a blue blood basketball program (Kansas is the obvious example, but Duke could fit this profile to a lesser extent) be attractive in the realignment discussions, or is the football money so overwhelmingly large that the basketball program makes little difference except, perhaps, as a tiebreaker between two schools under consideration?

10. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,799
    I'm no expert, but I have been told "most" divison 1 football programs lose money - and conversly only a few dozen make "serious" money - so my guess is that there are some instances where the basketball revenue is indeed meaningful. I would guess Duke and Kansas are good examples of that, maybe UCONN as well.

11. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,811
  12. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118

FWIW

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  13. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,817
    Let the smoke begin....

14. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $10,223
    If the ND-NBC falls through, it's just as likely the ACC could absorb some defectors from the BE.

15. BigHoss

BigHoss Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,421
    ND is holding the key to the nuclear football right now it seems

16. Albick

Money:
    $3,252
    https://247sports.com/college/ucla/...UEpZoUYlH7wiVKE0xFfxJBBLJvQeQRft14jZI5KcqsATo

Pretty interesting article. I imagine the UCLA and USC moves to the B1G still will happen, but California Governor Newsom isn't happy about it and wants some answers. His biggest concern seems to be that (in his telling) UCLA made the decision in isolation without consulting the Board of Regents and without considering the effect it could have on other universities in the California public university system.

Some interesting financial information in the article:

"While money and television contracts are the driving force behind conference realignment, the financial boost that UCLA is set to receive by joining the Big Ten is one desperately needed by the athletic department. The LA Times reported earlier in July that the Bruins athletic department accrued $102.8 million in debt in the last three fiscal years and was at series risk of cutting sports. But by joining the Big Ten, the Bruins will move to a league that could see payouts surpassing $100 million per year within the next decade."

17. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,792
    And Indiana?

18. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $20,572
    Probably bc their football team blows and no one goes to the games. LA is simply not a college sports town. Like NYC, no one cares about University sports.

19. Albick

Money:
    $3,252
    https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...dk3RdD7aLFc0onQrWpH4YjlOCL8S1aiQBA_lJGpbv5CxA

Here are a couple of novel approaches to conference realignment in the B1G suggested in this article.

1. Instead of just looking at adding valuable programs, also consider getting rid of the least valuable ones. Specifically, add Washington, Oregon, and Utah and eliminate the bottom three programs (by "gross football revenue"): Rutgers, Maryland, and Purdue. (Indiana is fourth on this list and, presumably, would be jettisoned if a fourth high value program could be added.)

2. Set up a promotion and relegation system (a la European football leagues). In the case of the B1G, they could pair up with the MAC. Each year, the bottom three B1G teams would be relegated to the MAC and the top three MAC teams would be promoted to the B1G.

Totally impractical, but it would make the regular season a lot more interesting.

hortonamos likes this.
  20. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $20,572
    Dumping Rutgers and Maryland is a great idea