Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BigHoss, Jul 1, 2022.

1. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $568
    Rutgers and Maryland are two of the more recent additions to the Big 10. They obviously weren’t added because of their competitiveness in football, so they’re not going to get cut for a lack of football success.

2. NCDog

NCDog Member

Money:
    $74
    Regarding the B1G, I think it will be interesting for the California teams that will play games in Indiana or Ohio as both states are on the list that state-funding cannot be used for travel.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,385
    Network money would more than make that up.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $568
    We've run into this with teams from California traveling for speech and debate. My understanding is that teams can travel to "prohibited" states as long as they don't use funding that came from the State (i.e., traveling using donor dollars). I'm not sure how they would classify money received by athletics from a network contract.

5. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,799
  6. professor_bulldog

professor_bulldog New Member

Money:
    $19
    Not sure how a governor advocating for the overall financial health of both UC system flagships is whining. Isn't his job to support the state and it's institutions?

2xDawg, seadawg and NCJon like this.
  7. FriarDawg

FriarDawg Active Member

Money:
    $295
    It was also Newsome’s fault that both schools are broke due to his shutdowns. Go look how much both schools athletic programs are in dire straits

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. professor_bulldog

professor_bulldog New Member

Money:
    $19
    Newsom must be President already given the fact that most athletic departments nationwide are operating in the red.

Fact of the matter is that they are part of the same system. Makes sense for there to be more discussion/questioning from the perspective of broader system stakeholders.

Beyond that, if him making a stink drags Berkeley over the finish line, all the better for them. I'd hope that all of our elected reps would advocate for our own state schools if in similar circumstances.

9. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,799
    That's exactly what the B1G needs - Berkeley ...

10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118
    Bay Area tv market is 6th in the US. Despite floating some looney ideas (as any good university should!), Berkeley is the most highly regarded public university in the world.

So, yeah, considering them is a must.

11. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $20,572
    Don’t take what would be arguably the top academic institution in the conference because they don’t agree - in general - with my backwards old man political ideas???

bmradio99 and 2xDawg like this.
  12. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,811
    Are we just going ahead and kicking Northwestern out? I mean it's not a terrible idea, I'm just asking.

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,118
    Obviously they won’t, and I know this is in jest, but it actually isn’t the worst idea. It’s not like Chicago would be materially less interested.

14. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $20,572
    I said arguably. I think you can make a case that Cal is = to Northwestern. And If not, it’s close.

seadawg likes this.
  15. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,413
    You *could* argue that the moon is closer than California, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $20,572
  17. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

2xDawg and NCJon like this.
  18. BoilerBulldog

BoilerBulldog Active Member

Money:
    $130
    And yet Stanford > Cal. And there’s no need to take both and one of them happens to be really important to ND.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Mr X and MSUDawg like this.
  19. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $20,572
    Oh yeah. If you can get Stanford, you do it. World-class university. One of the premier institutions on the entire planet.

BoilerBulldog and 2xDawg like this.
  20. fchd

fchd Active Member

Money:
    $189
    Yes, I'm in the UK and the Stanford brand does resonate a bit over here (outside sport). Not as much as say Yale, Harvard and MIT, but in the next tier.