D.J. Hughes - 2021 Forward (Signed)

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, May 5, 2018.

1. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,617
    I'm excited to have a big man that can dunk, jump, and block shots. Not referencing any of our other big men recruits over the last 5-8 years or anything though...

2xDawg likes this.
  2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,433
    “Because one player people thought wouldn’t be good turned out to be good, one is a childish dullard to suspect some recruit in the future may not be good.”

Shut the board down. This logic is impenetrable. Why are we even here?

Also - not that this matters - but I have no idea why you’re putting the Sean takes on me. I don’t have any recollection of feeling or posting strongly one way or another about him, but let me know if I’m wrong.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 10:45 PM
    NCJon, BoyGeoff, 2xDawg and 1 other person like this.
  3. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $597
    You have very little to make such a negative conclusion about the kid. Your evidence from a single game is shotty at best. There is no other evidence that you can point to, yet it didn't deter you from perhaps with holding judgement until he gets on campus.

It's a fairly serious insult to hurl at high schooler. Just chill.

4. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $597
    I didn't put the McDermott takes on you. I said it's a great example of why judging a high schooler on what kind of player he will be in 3 years is just stupid and impossible. So if your judgement is negative and literally impossible to prove, why say it at all? Perhaps you may be right. Or you may look like a complete idiot akin to the McDermott haters.

5. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,904
    Isn’t it “shoddy”...?

tlp63 likes this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,202
    It’s impossible? It’s quite literally what college coaches are paid to do. It’s the purpose the NBA draft serves. We have mountains of evidence suggesting it is anything but impossible to do.

If it were impossible we’d see even talent distribution at all levels of college basketball (including m d3).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 8:01 AM
  7. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    I agree, I have very little tape to work with to make that conclusion.

I have pointed to four different instances across approximately two minutes of tape. Maybe he plays hard at all other times, that is possible as I’ve said before. It would seem remarkably coincidental if it just so happens that the entirety of his laziness was captured on the two minutes of highlights that I’ve seen.

The logic that you can fairly say that player is bad at making three pointers, but not say that his effort is bad is totally ridiculous. As you say, effort is a choice; How good someone is at making three pointers frequently is not. How is it that you are okay with criticizing something someone can’t control, but not with holding them accountable for the decisions they choose to make?

8. tlp63

tlp63 Active Member

Money:
    $189
    Isn't it dregs?

9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,526
    Instead of continuing a plot to make a recruit reconsider his commitment through character assassination, we should pool our efforts to restore the character and free Matt Gaetz.

10. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $208
    We have been begging for a "Big East" sized player for forever. Here is a talented young man from our city wanting to come here and be a Bulldog for the next 4 or more years. How about giving him some time with a higher level of coaching before we start declaring what kind of career he might have at Butler? The drive of some on this site to analyze a recruit to death and ignore their potential has a very juvenile bent.

BoyGeoff, #60, BUcheer and 3 others like this.
  11. FriarDawg

FriarDawg Active Member

Money:
    $201
    Do you really think LaVall and staff would give out a valued scholly for someone who doesn’t play hard? For being as woke as you are this is a really bad take for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerProf and Staxawax like this.
  12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,968
    Everyone said the same crap about Chrabascz coming in. I think that turned out okay. I know at least one person, who has to have the last word, will tell me that the two are inherently different and cannot be compared, so I have posted your rebuttal for you (you’re welcome).

Let’s please end this f-ing meaningless conversation.

BoyGeoff, #60, Staxawax and 3 others like this.
  13. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    Saying that a recruit does not play hard does not mean that he can’t change that in the future.

Absolutely he should be given the benefit of the doubt while at Butler, and I don’t think anyone is saying anything otherwise. I don’t think anyone wants anything but the best for him and from him.

If you think that it is juvenile to try to assess a recruits potential, I ask what it is that you think this site and this thread is for, what it is that coaches do, and why 247 and rivals recruiting make millions of dollars.

14. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    I don’t think that anyone said Chrabs didn’t play hard coming in, the reports were actually the exact opposite.

I also question, as Hinkle did, why you think being wrong (if someone were) about one recruit forbids someone from assessing a different recruit 8 years later.

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $7,202
    Brad gave a scholarship to Nolan Berry, so I’m gonna say yes.

PSUButlerFan likes this.
  16. thevinrod

thevinrod Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $824
    Nolan Berry AKA Ben Grunst version 1.1

17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $7,132
    If any conversation is worthy of being moved to the DMs, this is it. Please make it stop.

18. The Hound

The Hound Active Member

Money:
    $208
    247 and Rivals make it their living to assess. You have made it your responsibility to be some kind of truth setter on this site. To question your opinion, which is all it truly is, invites your unleashing of a thousand word essay explaining your clarity of thought. All to make yourself feel righteous. To criticize an incoming recruit after watching a few minutes of selected video shows an immaturity of thought. You need to do better.

FriarDawg likes this.
  19. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,324
    [​IMG]

Everyone's arguing past each other at this point. It's possible for all of these to be true:

- there are clips where he isn't fully engaged
    - those clips can be concerning to some
    - if that pattern continues, it could affect his long-term outlook
    - those things are all correctable and hopefully will be corrected while at Butler
    - we have no way of knowing if he will work out or not
    - but this is a message board, so people are going to speculate
    - there certainly isn't any point of writing him off already
    - no one on this thread is a "dullard"

dawgs2014 likes this.
  20. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,962
    Amen. I still think he/she lives in mom’s basement eagerly awaiting the next post to rebuke. I would guess 2014 has far and away more posts than anyone else in the last 14 months.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

iluvsnow likes this.